I want to buy in Europe.

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by Lizzard323, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    US citizen. I have a month or so off in the summer. I would like to purchase a bike, preferably something along the 250-600cc range. England would be ideal but really anywhere. I saw a thread in 2016 about a guy in England that sold and stored bikes but can't find any more info. "Marvin"?

I have looked to relevant threads but all I have found is old data. Even some good thread links would be great...thanks.

Eddie
    dooby likes this.
  2. 2eddies

2eddies I'm not here.

Oddometer:
    Santa Fe, New Mexico, Rocky Mountains, USA
    You may actually be looking for the guy in Ireland, at MOTOFEIRME, martin or as he is known on Advrider, wheatwhacker.

You can find him thru google, facebook under MOTOFEIRME or here on advrider under his screen name wheatwhacker. He will take care of you. I have had a bike stored with him going on three years now. Good man.
  3. dooby

dooby aka Frgich

Oddometer:
    Hi Eddie,

Alongside Martin and Motofeirme, we can provide one stop shop. Check my threads, and signature.

cheers
    dooby
    Lizzard323 likes this.
  4. GvG

GvG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd hardly call England ideal, because of all the uncertainty Brexit is bringing.
    dooby likes this.
  5. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're planning to bring it back to the US "do your homework" cause if the bike is less than 25 years old you "will" need official documentation from the manufacturer that says it meets all US EPA/DOT specs or you'll never get it off the US Customs dock. You have 90 days to either prove it or bring it up to US spec. Or day 91 it goes to the crusher.
  6. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    Well, I would bet Brexit won't demolish the historical sites nor evict my wife's relatives.
  7. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    Don't plan on brining it home. There are enough bikes here.
  8. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    Definitely give Martin a holler. He's easiest to reach on Facebook...send him a message: https://www.facebook.com/motofeirme/

Mrs Trip and I have 2 bikes stored with Motofeirme. He's a great guy and it's just ashort ferry ride to England. We rode there in the fall.
    Lizzard323 likes this.
  9. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a bike stored at Martin’s place, been there for 4 years. Definitely contact him, it’s worked out really well for me and he has a friend who’s a bike mechanic.
    Rhode trip and Lizzard323 like this.
  10. GvG

GvG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, it will only demolish about all the ways to (easily) get stuff in and out of the UK or insure and/or ride your UK registered vehicle outside of the UK in the case of a no-deal Brexit (which is currently looking like the most likely outcome).

The relatives part depends......UK citizens in the UK=no problem. On everything else all bets are off.
  11. alicethomas

alicethomas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New borders and walls can very well tear families apart!
    Ask N/S-Korea, W/E-Germany or (N-)Ireland. :-(
    That's a reason why more and more British people apply for an EU citizenship.
    Numbers from a local country: 2014 - 515, 2015 - 622, 2016 - 2865, 2017 - 7493, 2018 - ?
    Although many British like to insult Germany and personally reject all strangers, they accept the freedom of movement granted by "Mum Merkel".
    The British are actually the largest immigrant group in Germany. Forget Africa and Middle East!
    dooby likes this.
  12. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    Can for the love of GOD please stop with the comments on Brexit? I don’t want to talk about that shit. Nor do most here. Geeze. Oh, I don’t give a crap either. BTW, my wife’s family is entirely English. Her parents in fact met in a Liverpool bunker in WWII.
  13. alicethomas

alicethomas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK: Buy until 29.03.2019!
  14. GvG

GvG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK: make your trip before 30.03.2019.

If you don't like the answers stop asking questions.
  15. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    To the inmates who gave positive comments thank you. Well, I am buying a bike in Ireland and riding there for a while, then Scotland, England (assuming Brexit doesn't sink it) and every six months or so working my way east to Croatia where a local inmate can care for me. Basing out of there for a year or two riding I head out east to....
    dooby and Herman1 like this.
  16. Ken Fritz

Ken Fritz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good move. Wheatwhacker is honest and friendly. IveI almost forgotten how long ago we became friends.
    NSFW likes this.
  17. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya might find something at Knopf's that suits your need. One stop shopping here and no hassle to buy a bike that carries a US registration, easy peas. Then yo can store it at Knopf's for return trips. Take a look: http://www.knopftours.com/Web-Site/Buy & Sell.html

Paul
    NSFW likes this.
  18. dooby

dooby aka Frgich

Oddometer:
    TET is calling you out :thumb

cheers
    dooby
  19. Lizzard323

Oddometer:
    Dooby and all. I’m getting ready to finalize my plan. Well the first part. I’m not much on details. I am going to fly my KLR650 to Ireland on Air Canada from Toronto. It’s about a 1300mi/2100km ride up there from my house. Easy two days. Get insurance from Dooby. Then ride Ireland maybe Wales/Scotland for three weeks. Park at Martins in Cork and spend some days there enjoying his place. Fly home. Then next trip there I’ll pack up, take the ferry to Spain, head south, start the TET. One month at a time make my way to Croatia n hang there for a couple one month rides. Then Dooby will send me off east. Sound reasonable? Let the inputs fly n NO TALK of Brexit. Lol.
    Ken Fritz, wheatwhacker and dooby like this.
  20. dooby

dooby aka Frgich

Oddometer:
    I like that from your plan I can see you're reasonable on the daily mileage and want to spend time riding at your pace and having a great time. TET is really like that, no rushing, maybe join forum and ask some people to join you for a leg or sketchy part of track etc.

For sure if you have specific info on any part of the trail join the forum and facebook group and ask questions to plan your route in the best possible way.

cheers
    dooby