I want two new helmets....please comment (2020)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by KTMSprocket, Feb 2, 2020.

1. KTMSprocket

KTMSprocket Skill Required Here

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    Back into adventure riding after quite some time away.

Riding a 1250gsa I want two helmets.

1. Touring (trivial offroad stuff)
    2. Daily commute

From riding motorcycles that were waaaaaay too loud back in the day I have minor tinitus that I do not want to make worse.....so the quietest helmet I can find for touring is important to me (as an aside, I find music in the background helps distract mne from the tinitus which becomes more apparent with ear plugs in!)

I do short commutes from time to time, so am happy to have a 'cheaper' helmet too.

Any comments, help much appreciated as ever.

PS. I prefer peak helmets....especially for option 1, but not a show stopper.

Cheers.
  2. Blackhawk6d

Blackhawk6d Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am rocking the Scorpion AT 90. LOVE it. Fortnine did a great review for 2018. All depends on the moola you want to spend. The scorpion isn't that quiet, but I usually have some tunes through my Sena on too.

3. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get fitted for a helmet. Getting one with the correct shape for your head. I'm a long oval head, so I'm currently in a LS2 for both dirt and street.

Molded silicone earplugs are great. A nice balaclava keeps them in place when you put your lid on.
    shinyribs likes this.
  4. KTMSprocket

Oddometer:
    Shoei's fit 'me' very well...
    I am really curious if someone has BOTH the Shoei ADV (the old Hornet) AND the Shoei GTAir 2.......that is, is one quieter than the other? (yes....I know both are expensive but so are my ears :jack)
  5. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll second the Scorpion AT950 for both. My second helmet is a Bell MX-9 which is for when temperatures get really warm. My solution to noise is to wear noise reducing ear phones plugged into my Sena 20s. I use Etymotic MK5 headphones and can hear my music very well and very little external noise.
  6. van the man

van the man Space Wrangler

Oddometer:
    I also have a Scorpion AT950; it's not very quiet if that is what you are looking for. In fact, the road noise was so bad on my concours that I got something else for on road, a KLIM TK1200. This helmet is a little quieter and has some great features; a transitions shield, a pinlock insert, and it is carbon fiber. the weight difference is astounding. It isn't an "off-road" helmet (no beak), so I save the Scorpion for off-road. The Klim fits my head better. The scorpion was very uncomfortable at first but now has become so loose I'm thinking of getting replacement liners. I've only had it maybe 18 months.
    My best solution for noise and music is a pair of foam earplugs with tiny speakers in them. They look exactly like safety foam earplugs, blue wire and orange foam. not the greatest sound from them for music, but okay for my uses. I plug it into an mp3 player. they are maybe $15 on amazon. I bought another pair as a backup.
  7. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The GT Air 1 is pretty quiet,can still be found on closeout for about $380-390
    Think it was rated quieter than the 2.
    Has been my go to helmet for past several years:thumb

JR356
  8. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    I didn't care for my Scorpion AT90. I found it very flimsy and cheaply made (will go in to details if asked). I sold it, but think I would have felt better throwing it away knowing that someone is using it on their head now :(

I crash tested a LS2 Pioneer this pat summer and it saved me. Gravel road, deer jumped off the bank beside the road. The deer, the bike and myself all three went tumbling together. From the marks on the road, I tumbled about 20', about half of that on my face.. I was watching the gravel stream by my visor like rain coming a window, but nothing gave up. I would have been seriously injured in a lesser helmet. The EPS foam was crushed, but I had no concussion after hitting the road at 45 mph. Beyond being solid, it was a much better helmet than the Scorpion in every way. The peak on the LS2 is legit. The peak on the Scorpion is useless. You can't even see it with the helmet on, so forget about it blocking any sun or anything else. It's decoration only. Anyway, this is the dual sport helmet I trust.

[​IMG]

For the street, I looked at many Sharp test ratings and I ended up on a AGV K5.
    08StangGT_CS likes this.
  9. ThrillSeeka

ThrillSeeka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you want quiet, then you'll need a good sized chin curtain. Sizes vary but Shoei makes a pretty large one that doesn't affect the act of putting on and off the helmet. The difference between chin curtain vs no chin curtain is night and day.

Also a good seal around the visor. The industry is choke with helmets with bad sealing visors. Shoei and Arai know how to seal visors in. Other brands too, but Shoei and Arai are always safe bets. Dual sport helmets (beak/long chin) have been hit or miss for me, OK for off roading and slow speeds but hit the highway and that's another store.

That's if you're looking for quiet helmets at highway speeds. I would avoid off-road helmets if you've ear problems and need the most quiet and want to listen to music. Or look into silicone plugs as has been mentioned already. Those foamy ear plugs do nothing. Only silicone ear plugs will create a full vacuum that you won't hear anything (not good though as you lose one of your senses for riding safely).
  10. PhotoAl

PhotoAl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have work a Shark Race-R-Pro for about 5 years. Great helmet, better on visor fogging than previous helmet - Shoei RF1100. Visor on the Shark is great but a bit fiddly in adjusting. Just picked up an AGV K6 and so far it 's much quieter but may fog a bit more than the Shark. If you ride in the rain than helmet sealing is very important. Had a terrible experience in RF1100 and have had some tough times in the Shark. Ran a Pinlock in the RF1100 and it helped but could still be a pain. Race-R-Pro has a great system for blocking breath from the visor in cold weather. Last summer I got caught riding all day between 48F and 52F in the rain (that's fun in summer gear). It was a memorable day but not for the right reasons. With the AGV I'll make sure to always have a Pinlock insert with me.

Fit is very important as others have said. I bought the Race-R-Pro online but for the AGV went to local CycleGear where they had a different model but same sizing system. I was able to try on a couple to see which fit me better - ML (medium large) was snug so I tried on the MS - could barley get it on and then wondered if I'd have any ears left after removing it! Yup that's too tight. Big shout out for the Manager who was very helpful. My head is a tiny bit too oval for the Shark and I get the twin spots on my forehead after wearing it. Didn't give me a headache or anything just made me look more strange - I've done 600 mile days in it. IMO a new helmet should feel comfortable firm around the head and a bit tight in the cheek pads - they will break in and get a bit looser.

For me safety is very important. First priority is how good is the helmet on impact protection. That's why I picked the Shark Race-R-Pro. Safe doesn't have to be expensive, nice interiors and other things are what makes a helmet expensive. I've got a carbon fiber helmet but not totally convinced it makes that much difference but it's a lot lighter. I'm very interested in the new designs that reduce rotational forces in an impact.

The best helmet is one that is worn properly. I had a concussion and shattered kneecap in a 15MPH scooter crash. Helmet was virtually worthless as I had a ball cap on under it and it was too high on my head. Bill of ball cap saved my skull from a possible fracture - hit a rock hard enough I could see a sliver of light thru the plastic bill stiffener!!! Concussion took a year or more to really get over - had difficulty concentrating and doing mechanical things like working on my bike.
  11. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    I cannot comment on the comfort yet, but I just ordered a Klim Krios Pro for the same reasons you mention. I commute, ride on weekends, and take a multi-thousand mile trip each summer. This is what I have learned. My Shoei Neotec is my usual go-to helmet, but for long summer trips, my face cooks behind the face shield (light tint). Same issue with my Arai XD3. I went for the Klim because of the weight, the fit, and the fact that it has a transitions face shield, so no more messing with shields and visors (I hope). The helmet is due to arrive this month (ordered last November :becca)

For me it doesn't matter if it's a short ride or a long cross-country jaunt. I always ride ATGATT
    08StangGT_CS likes this.
  12. KTMSprocket

Oddometer:
    Thank you everyone. As ever, loads of great comments.
    I would love ride with music but if it compromises fit or noise from wind banging around...nope.
    My ears ring 24/7....nothing too bas but I don’t want to make it worse hence the need for quietness.
    I will look more into the chin curtain aspect on the Shoei Hornet/Adv. If the combination works I will be super happy as I get the shoei quality, fit (for me) visor, goggle port and venting (Australia).

Anyone got any specific info about the chin curtain?
  13. BigMac75

BigMac75 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    KTMSprocket -
    Your hearing is a precious thing. Protect what you have - once it is gone - its gone.
    Recently bought BE-1C's from Big Ear inc. these are plugged into the Cardo Packtalk Bold on my helmet, and allow the helmet to be paired with intercom[Cardo], iPhone, and the bike itself.
    They have a NRR of almost 30 dB on their own, and then allow whatever comms/music that you are listening to, to be played at an extremely low level- with great clarity.
    They are a custom fit, made from a mold of your ear- and there is a little bit of turnaround time... but they have been great so far.
    they are a little spendy at around $350 USD.

https://www.bigearinc.com/products/motorcycle-earplugs/
  14. webnetxpress

webnetxpress Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree with BigMac advice above. I went with custom molded from PlugUps. I think about $250. I just bought a second pair as the first one a wire was starting to fray .... after 2 years and about 20k miles of hard racing. Not casual easy going wear, offroad racing and training. Well worth it. (Plus I use them everytime I am on a plane)

I opted for PlugUps company because I couldn't get to a location to be custom fitted. They offer an in home fitting kit (takes 2 people) and it worked perfect. Everything was done via Priority Mail. They keep the ear molds so you can reorder without having to be fitted again.

https://www.plugup.com/custom_earplug_speakers_single_dual_driver_p/es22-3.5-4.5.htm

Turn around time was like 5 days. Great customer service. If you search there is a thread I posted about them.