I went to Darwin and all i got was this lousy lighter.....

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Mototrans, Oct 15, 2006.

1. JamesLaugesen

JamesLaugesen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report mate, thanks a lot.

I've been contemplating a return-trip to Darwin on the new Uly around December.
    I'll post something here once I'm more prepared, hopefuly someone will want to join me.

I'll be meeting up with a mate near Darwin who's a crocodile ranger / on-call rescue officer / survival guide, so he'll be my support crew :)

My idea is to go up via SA and back via QLD within 2 weeks... do you think that's viable?
  2. Mototrans

Mototrans Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i spent six days on the road having a look around but not everything went according to plan as you will see. If your bike is capable of a decent speed this is handy to commute between points of interest, but give yourself time there is plenty of spots to tangle up in, particularly closer to Darwin and Katherine.
  3. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    so i wake up with the most shocking hangover just before sunrise.. theres nothing better for a hangover than a bit of fresh air and getting on with it... so i packed up the gear and hit the road for a whole two hundred metres before i hit Daly Waters Airstrip. This place provided one of the worst outposts for American Servicemen during the war as they were 600kms from Darwin with not much more than flys for company. Some works have been done to stop the hangar from depreciating and you can sense the history in this place.

[​IMG]
  4. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    i believe this was a passenger aircraft that crashed in the later years after the war upon landing... the comments made suggested there were still servicemen around that pulled the passengers from the aircraft..
    In later years (1980's) efforts have been made by Individuals to get the strip up and running again as a hub for the flying doctor service and other carriers.. unfortunately 2006 sees no sign of this commercial venture.. and its kinda sad...
    [​IMG]
  5. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    again Daly Waters.... this fella was built in the 1930's under some form of govt grant to establish a Light aircraft manufacturer in Australia. The result was the plane you see below which has an interesting history. The Plane was actually a Gas Turbine plane that was used by the Australian Secret Service to supervise the Atom Bomb drop on Hiroshima:huh ... If you think about some of the planes that were kicking around in that time she was well ahead of her time. After the war and the various aremd forces were finished with it, it was sold to a local commercial operator who used it as a small freight plane. It stayed in the area until the owner aged 91 landed her at the Daly Waters Roadhouse (obviously at the end of her serviceable life) and that is where she stayed. Even Dick Smith has flown in to research her history. To most she just looks like a plane wreck in front of a servo.
    EDIT "What a Dick... i believed this story until i was corrected by an inmate..well how embarrasing, i called the station that this plane is based at. It is indeed a story created for unwary tourists, and i ate it right up"

[​IMG]
  6. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    i probably took this pic because it was a bend in the road..!! The contrast of the landscape is changing, note the height of the trees and the density of the foliage as we travel further down the road.
    [​IMG]
  7. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    formed millions of years ago are huge granite boulders, some up to about 35 metres long. Its awesome just riding into the valley where they lay and seeing a valley full of them.. The aboriginals believe them to be Rainbow serpent eggs...
    [​IMG]
  8. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    they are alot bigger
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    the lanscape is changing again.. from the Marbles on the rock seems to start lifting out of the ground at a place called Barrow Creek. Its getting mid afternoon and this is the best time to ride with cooler road temps and less intense sun.
    [​IMG]
  10. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    this is the scary little place in the world where backpackers have gone missing...apparently...

the guy rips me off a buck for fuel, intentional or not, i'm completely cool with that and get the hell outta there quick smart and in a hurry...:eek1
    [​IMG]
  11. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    its great cruising in the cooler temps.. just man, tarmac and 500cc of Thumping vintage metal!!!!:lol3
    [​IMG]
  12. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    pics don't ever do it justice... guess yo9u guys will just have to go yourselves...:wink:
  13. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    this is a little place called Aeliron ? just on sunset.. the local have sat a huge statue of a dreamtime man on top of the hill. Its quite imposing on the way into town on sunset...:eek1
    [​IMG]
  14. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    and swagged it on a roadside rest stop... now i'm only a lil fella and for some reason you hit that kinda quiteness in the Australian bush you realise how small you are.. the Kangaroo population makes travelling at night prohibitive and i just wasn't prepared to risk the next 100 klms to make it to Alice Springs... so i layed out the swag and got to thinking about dissappearing backpackers...GREAT!!!:rofl
    Its so quite you can hear everything including stock wandering around at night across the road and i ended up in a tussle at about 2am with a possum over a half eaten sandwich in my soft panniers.. Possum 1 : Rider 0
    The moon is so bright you can see quite well, but my camera won't bring it up so i resolve to keep fighting with the possum for a while longer.. he eventually gets my apple on a sympathy vote Possum 2 : Rider 0

I wake up and get the ball rolling before sun up in a bid to beat the possum before he's back for one last hit at the soft pannier food store thats been so good to him... sun up is magical...

[​IMG]
  15. MarkN

MarkN Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is great stuff, thanks for taking the time.:clap

Can't wait to see if you and the bike make it back home. I can see you're in a love / hate relationship already!:lol3

Mark
  16. Ultralights

Ultralights Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    living the dream!
    so many times i wish i could have Just gone, no prep, nothing, just go.

:lurk
  17. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    what a great town.. from the road in the hills start rolling, and the scenery takes the focus off my sore butt. I'm off the Simpsons Gap, on the way i pass John "Flynn of the outback" gravesite. Flynn through the "Australian Inland Mission" a church backed organisation in 1912 was responsible for the establishment of healthcare in the outback setting up hospitals and welfare centres and eventuially in the 30's what became the Royal Flying Doctors Service, an essential service for people in remote areas. Incredible man with an incredible story.
    Simpsons Gap pictured below has formed over 60 million years and is amazing in the morning with its rich colours.
    The gap below
    [​IMG]
  18. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    what that little thing....

if only i had a dollar for every time i've heard that:rofl
    [​IMG]
  19. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    ranges running west from Alice
    [​IMG]
  20. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    well i've looked forward to kissing the NT goodbye... don't get me wrong its just the crazy rationale for this trip has been that if the XT can make it 200, it can go 400, and if it will go 400 it should do 800..etc etc. The NT border was a milestone. Some 1800 klms down the road i'm now sure that the old girl will get me home, albeit with no ass left.:clap
    [​IMG]