I went to Darwin and all i got was this lousy lighter.....

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Mototrans, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Mototrans

Mototrans Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    on a previous road trip in a cage some twelve months ago i commented on my way back from Perth that poor South Australia was like a bad joke, it was like someone drew a line around the edge of the desert and said "We'll call it South Australia"... Sorry you South Aussies but its just as soon as i crossed the border it seemed that this appeared. I'm sure you have much to offer the rest of Aus like ... um ... er ... sand !! Yes thats it... sand... we need that very much for ur... em .... mixing cement.. yes yes....thats right... lovely place.......:puke1
    [​IMG]
  2. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    Again the afternoon rides just seem to be the best...! The winds die off and its Happy Days..!!!:D
    [​IMG]
  3. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    who the hell has Red Roads..? Must be a product of the soil colour... or sand.. theres plenty of that sh......t around here..!!!

[​IMG]
  4. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    so heres what Coober Pedy is famous for.. The opals mined from the local area and its underground hotels carved out of the stone. They do this to escape the heat during summer. Interesting fact is that 40% of the local population is Croation... Its a pizza and an early night for me... exhausted from three days long riding... if only i could get rid of that petrol smell out of the swag... damn thats annoying..
    [​IMG]
  5. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    until....

so i explain tha best i can adventurers... i prep before sun up and hit the road on sunrise...i'm riding along enjoying the road out of Coober Pedy.. the bird are singing (technically if SA had Birds), the sun is shining (its a bloody desert) and i'm singing "rainbows, lollipops and ... rainbows" cause i don't know the rest of the words... when a rather innocent looking cattle grid appears. I take my butt (sore variety) off the seat as the back wheel of the bike sinks into the grid and i hear the "whoof" of a rear tyre letting go in a hurry.......
    My first thoughts are "did someone cry wolf":rofl
    I look in the rear view in time to see a bit of black rubber flick up and think "oh shit better pull her up before she flies to bits completely...."
    but as i slow its getting hotter and there seems to be alot of smoke....:huh

Oh Shit I'm on Fire !!!!!
    [​IMG]
  6. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome trip report mate, my hat's off to you!!
    Keep it coming! :lurk
  7. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    with a little rolling around and frantic dancing that Micheal Jackson himself would have been proud of i'm extinguished...:eek1

Now for the bike... i pull the fuel cell first and dhe has already melted spreading fuel over everything and i'm back on fire.... More dancing (moonwalk and all)

I'm out again and i dragg the luggage off the bike and push the bike forward. Then i put the bike out before trying for anything in the luggage... but its futile, the fuel soaked luggage leaves me no option but to watch everything burn while backpackers stop for a quick pic and hurridly piss off before they might politely be obliged to offer a guy a cup of water.

BTW Thanks to whoever you are in the RED FORD (i think) with a caravan and the Mirror Glasses who helped and didn't leave until you knew i was alright. Your a legend. To the Backpackers - take a free ticket for some accomodation at Barrow Creek ya barstands..!!!!
    [​IMG]
  8. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    So, the light drop in my hasty exit has broken the clutch lever and the gear selector, but i fugure that i can get her into top and cruise the 500 klms to Port Augusta, the end of my Australia crossing before i head for home. Theres a bike shop there which if made in good time will have the materials i need for repair. I stop at Glendambo for a Fuel Bottle and Pimba for some supplies like tape and Oky straps. Thanks to Clive the security guy from Perth and his wife for walking up and offering assistance when you could see i was in a spoy of bother. Clive helped me get the bike as good as i could before setting off again. Clive your a legend!!!:clap

Determined not to let it kill the proceedings i dropped off at Woomera for a look at Australias early rocket range.
    [​IMG]
  9. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    Take a look at this people... these suckers were launched in the mid to late 60's, and look at the quality of the metal after 40 years.. yet my Holden seems to rust 2 days after leaving the lot..!
    [​IMG]
  10. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    love them planes

[​IMG]
  11. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    it was used to launch Australias first sattelite in the 60's

[​IMG]
  12. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    this is where the hardcore speed trials take place... with me riding crash gearbox style and changing gears by hand the XT was denied any runs as much as i wanted to just get out there and i was now running pretty light:D

I'm sure she would have been good for a 100km/h pass:rofl
    [​IMG]
  13. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    sorry for the crappy pic guys.. but i was on a bit of a downer by this stage.. The guys at Port Augusta bikeshop helped me out heaps and i had gears again, good blokes to.. good for a laugh. It was hard walking past the 640 Adv at the door retrieving parts and the guys offering me a good trade.. but two realities hit home...
    1. Start the mission, finish the mission
    2. How could i leave her:cry
    then theres that lil money thing....
    [​IMG]
  14. MarkN

MarkN Long timer

Oddometer:
    On one hand I was sorry for you losing your luggage in the fire:cry but the way you told it, well, I couldn't stop laughing:rofl. You've had me pinned to my laptop all morning with this report. You need to write a book!!:deal

Great stuff, keep it coming mate.

Mark
  15. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    an up toward Wilmington .. through Horicks Pass. This tight twisty stuff only lasts for 12klms but after a couple of thousand straight you will feel like a god if you can get you bike to bend over the flat spots!!!
    [​IMG]
  16. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    well.. needless to say i hit Willmington with a terrible thirst... i only really wanted to have one or two while i waited to see if a mate who was a local landcare officer was around.
    50 beers later he wasn't, but the publican still was, what a bloke.. stuck with me all night.. i stayed there and drunk da beers all night with a guy who strongly resembles Meatloaf!:freaky
    Needless to say i was the last to leave and there was something seriously wrong with my boot... my mate must have been off harrassing some poor marsupial.. what a prick... i cross Australia and he's off hugging trees and Rock Wallabies... there are laws against that!!:huh
    The pic below is coming out of the stair well in the morning cause that was as much sense as i had......
    [​IMG]
  17. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    and the body is weak... this is the sunrise out of Willmington, provided to show SA outback heading toward the NSW outback town of Broken Hill.
    Its gunna be hot but right now its so coldd
    [​IMG]
  18. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    20klms later i rid myself of the sooooooo 2005 fashion of throttle cables.... oh my goodness.. throttle cables are so out and Leathermen plier activated cruise controls are soooooo iiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnn!!!!

Everybody is doing it, so get with it...!!!

At least for the next 270klms till the next bike shop... and i have my doubts that they will have an XT cable on hand.... my thoughts turn to Willmington pub and retreating for the day... but i know i'll catch on fire, fall down a hole or break something so i press on...
    [​IMG]
  19. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    where the dealer tells me he can't help... snowflakes chance in hell..

So i need adjustment in my chain which is now so stretched i'm outta adjustment. I talk the aprentice into grinding a link out of the chain and he rustles around out the back before finding me a chain, a sprocket, and a Throttle cable that will fit.:clap What a guy... KYLE YOUR THE MAN!

Meanwhile his devious boss out the front greases and lubes up and lays a barrell strategically close to the till.... it hurt for parts i fitted myself but i was back on the road for the 450klm dash to Cobar where only a day of riding awaits afterwards to get me home. I try not to get to ahead of myself as planning can be the worst thing to do.

And it was the worst thing to do.. 60klms from Cobar the lights go out never to return. I tried using using the force to find my way but basically that did 2 tenths of sweet fk all!!!

I fiddle around in the dark to no avail, and then comes the flashing beacon, i get the right indicator working by earthing the bulb.. so i leave her on and follow the intermitent orange stripe in the middle of the road and pray that my Thumping 500cc exhaust keeps the roos at bay.

I make Cobar and there is not a room left in town. Cobar is a mining town, with guys flying in and out on rotating basis, they rent out the hotels months in advance.. one of the barwaits looks me up and down and must have taken pity on me cause she made a call and got me a room. I head off to the New Occidental for a big meal and a great quantity of the Nectar of the Gods. That amber fluid is flowing again, and the publican is a retired accountant from the Central Coast. We sit until my boot breaks again and i head off to my digs to promptly pass out...:freaky
  20. Mototrans

Oddometer:
    Only 750klms till home time... i try not to think that far ahead in xcase i don't make it. I come across Nyngan, a twon that was evacuated in 1990 due to flooding, as a tribute the guvt donated and old chopper as a monument for the main street... i can tell i'm back in wheatbelt country as the land changes, these guys have some irrigation for cotton and wheat and there are touches of green.
    The comments are starting to become standard responses "just a lil fire, i'm ok, i'm hoping to make it home if you'll just let me pay for my fuel so i can rest my arse"...."its not completely worn off is it?":lol3
    [​IMG]