I would sell my soul to feel this passion.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by larryboy, Sep 24, 2009.

1. dirthusky55215

dirthusky55215 Husky TE 510

Oddometer:
    Just found your RR wile poking around here looking for some ideas for upgrades to do.
    Spent many hours looking over each post ,video and pic.
    All i can say is wow what a trip, only wish i had know from the start so i could of followed each update.
    Thanks for taking the time to make and share this RR.
    The memories last a lifetime.
    You are inspiring to say the very least.
    Really enjoyed reading.
    :ricky
  2. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

Thanks!! :thumb

I'm reading it myself..about half way thru.

:lurk
  3. redog1

redog1 KTM 690R

Oddometer:
    :clap Simply amazing. Totally enjoyed reading this. TAT Western states this September, can't wait!:freaky
  4. Jwats

Jwats Bike till u Die

Oddometer:
    Larryboy, We did a quick fishing trip from Jackson over Union Pass to Kendall & home. My 12 year old daughter was reading your ride report with me over my shoulder & reminded me that we had seen you the day of the lightning strike. We were fishing at the bridge where you crossed the Green River. We are glad you survived, hope your gizmos did too. Your ride report is in a league of its' own. Thank You, Joe
    Nixels likes this.
  5. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

I distinctly remember you!! :huh

Small little globe we're all in.

Thanks for reading, you too redog1!!

:beer
  6. lionsroaar

lionsroaar I meant to do that!!

Oddometer:
    Larryboy, thanks for the fantastic RR :clap . The pics are great and the videos even better. I've only had my 610 for a short while now and am loving it more and more. It's nice to see someone else from my area on one taking these long trips...Maybe we'll bump into each other at some point...First pint is on me if we do...:freaky
  7. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    hi larryboy!
    I might have found that mud hole in your video - post #310, thunderstorm to salina, UT
    That might be it at 7:22 / 7:23, all dried up.

It was definitely on this road, though. Maybe not captured on video, and you probably didn't notice since you were preoccupied by lightning, but it was in this section.

Anyway, I'm re-reading your awesome RR for inspiration. We're working on a ride - Matt's been talking about the OBDR (he did part of it in 2008) and I want to revisit the TAT west (trinidad to ely). I've never been to Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming so they're on my list, too. I just don't want to get mauled by giant wolves or hit by lightning - your RR is freaking me out! :eek1

How are you, by the way? Any lingering effects from getting zapped?

Thanks for the report and hope you're having fun with the XRR! :D
    I might bug you with a PM later, when we figure out where we're going...
    kelly

PS - matt just said you did the sheetiron - lucky you! how was it?
  8. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

Hiya LittleWan!!!:wave

I think you're right about the mud hole being in that area, it looked like a little water right in there would turn things to slop pretty quick.

I think you'd like the OBDR.:thumb I'm hoping to hit the TAT again in September, from Baker, NV and back west..I really liked that section out of Baker and would like to do it without worrying about a beat up bike.

I seem to be over the effects of the lightning strike..I'm just getting old and am out of shape. The XRR is good, but it sure isn't a single track bike like the Husky was. The Sheetiron was fun, I'll need to gear the XRR down before I take it on single track like that again.:huh

Feel free to PM..I have tracks to share from the OBDR if you need them. That goes for everybody, if you want tracks from this trip send me a PM with an e-mail address and I'll send them over.

Thanks for reading, everybody.

:ricky
  9. redpillar

redpillar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Larryboy,

Thanks for the tracks. You mentioned September on the TAT. I am still in the planning stages for the CDR/TAT west and it is looking like September if I do get to go this year. Is September a decent time of year to do this route? I will be camping 90% of the time with good gear.
  10. Mtnjohn

Mtnjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not Larryboy but in MT, Sept can vary between 85F to 35F daytime highs even in the same week.
  11. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

If I were to do it again I'd plan for late August or early September again. Docking Pilot and his crew did their west side TAT about the same time of year too. There are those strange years where winter starts around September 15th with fire season ending rains and this might be that year if this extra long spring is an indicator. I've found the farmers almanac a good source to predict the length of a season and weather patterns. Like John said, things can very to the extremes in September, be prepared for it and you'll be fine.
  12. redpillar

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, 35 to 85 sounds doable with the right gear, rain would suck, but once you are started, it is pretty hard to turn back I would start at the Montana/BC border and work my way to Salida, then head west on the TAT, then head north in Oregon somewhere, perhaps follow the PCT somewhat.
    I can almost taste this trip.
  13. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a look at the track for "pacific Crest Quest" here on the board.
  14. redpillar

Oddometer:
    Thank Xymotic,
    I found the tracks on gpxchange, looks like it will work out ok.
    Thanks
  15. hobie1dog

hobie1dog Not a Sheeple

Oddometer:
    Things have been slow at work, so I got suckered in to this fantastic report with all the great videos I watched. May you be blessed with much good Karma for taking the time and effort to share your trip with us. What a lucky man, getting to live the dream we all share.:1drink

Thanks again,

Marty
  16. Gregou

Gregou Adventurer

Oddometer:

Nice RR. I really wish I could ride there one day.

But I can't believe you tossed the broken mirror in the water. Pretty sad. And then you write "Really pretty place, that Montana"..... yeah, pretty ironic...

Sorry my first post has a bitter taste...
  17. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

FYYFF :mad?

I didn't pick up the glass when I crashed either. I had a cheese wrapper get blown out of my hand in Utah. My entire tail light and license plate fell off in Colorado and became litter. I rode around a gate for an awesome view in Oregon, around another gate in Colorado to camp at a cabin owned by me. I often tripled or quadripled the speed limit on BLM land, there's a speed limit..did you know that? I saw an old pickup bed discarded in Montana and shot full of holes, I should have picked it up. That mirror probably settled to the bottom of the lake on top of an old Chevy.

Forgive me father, for I have sinned. :dunno

Get over yourself and welcome to the asylum.
    HardWorkingDog and Nixels like this.
  18. WVdyhrd

WVdyhrd mudhole 400 guy

Oddometer:
    :clap
  19. Gregou

Gregou Adventurer

Oddometer:

I forgive you son, but you can call me dad... :pope :bow :D

Don't take it wrong, I am a bit judgmental sometimes (have to work on that!), but c'mon guys, it doesn't make any sense to intentionally toss garbage in such beautiful and remote places, no?

Oh well... I won't say anything next time... :amazon

Sorry, and thanks for the warm welcome!! :hide

Did I say it was a nice RR? :D
    larryboy likes this.
  20. BigDaveSr

BigDaveSr Will Work for Food!

Oddometer:

Amen Brother!:bow :bow :bow :bow :bow
    larryboy likes this.