I70 versus I80?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by kdog, Aug 23, 2004.

1. doc riverz

doc riverz anatra di seduta

Oddometer:
    Wow! You sure take care of your "friend" don't you?! <snarrk>
  2. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:

That's better!
  3. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    The lesser 2 lane rural roads carry little traffic (other than red, green and blue tractors) and you can really rip. Avoid the towns where possible, use the gridwork road system to your advantage. The State guys usually stay on the US highways.
    50 carries too much traffic....for me.
  4. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:

thats for sure. there are some really sucky roads with traffic and cops not far from here. You really shouldnt bother wasting your time downstate Illinois
    It Sucks here too

Pilot doesnt know anything. he cant even get a job
  5. danbrew

danbrew GSAdv.com

Oddometer:
    Just did 80 back and forth and while boring, I think it's better than 70. Sights get better in UT and I think there's more to see off of 80. For example, visit Flaming Gorge National Rec Area in UT - freaken' fantastic.

I did all of my riding on a K1200 - which was just fine for the slab, but an enduro would be very cool in the FG area.
  6. kdog

kdog Slippery Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, one more question for you central folks. Are these roads through PA, IN, KS and CO (I78, 70, 74, 36) toll roads? Will my NY EZ Pass work? Actually, it's my wife's, but I borrow it on occassion. :evil I'll leave it with her if there's no point in me having it. Thanks again.
  7. danbrew

danbrew GSAdv.com

Oddometer:
    It's news to me if there is an inter-state toll pass. I know the Illinois iPass doesn't work anywhere other than Illinois. there are some toll roads in PA and one (that I know of) in Northern IN (80, I think), but have been all over KS and CO and haven't bumped into them. But, ah, somebody else should chime in for sure.
  8. Radical

Radical Long timer

Oddometer:
    kdog, I-70 is a toll road from just west of Kansas City west to Topeka. It was $1.85 until August 1, but I think they raised it by 10% at that time. The rest of I-70 through KC and beyond Topeka is free to the KS-CO border.

I haven't gone on 36 across all of KS, but for the miles I've been on (about 60% of it) it's free as well.

I-70 is free from the PA-OH border all the way to Kansas City. It is also free all the way across CO.

Ride safe.
  9. kdog

kdog Slippery Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well then, yer in for an education.

I just checked the website, http://www.ezpass.com

Answer: EZ Pass covers NY, MA, NJ, PA, MD, DE, and WV. In PA, it's only the PA turnpike. Looks like I can leave it home.
  10. kdog

kdog Slippery Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, man!
  11. Radical

Radical Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kansas has a pass for that section of I-70 between KC and Topeka. However, I don't believe that other states passes work. At least last time a family member tried the Oklahoma pass, it didn't work.
  12. kdog

kdog Slippery Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'm back from CO, gotta tell you that 36 was great. Folks kept telling us to watch for deer and cops. We didn't see much of either, which was nice. The road is in great shape, with little construction. The road varies between 4 lane divided, and 2 lane undivided (especially further west.) You really gotta watch out for the windsheer coming of semis heading in the opposite direction at 150 MPH or better closing speed though. :yikes

So, thanks guys for advice. You do see some wierd shit in the plains though.