I90/I80 (Chicago to Moab) Trail Rides along the way

Discussion in 'Americas' started by alexk243, May 20, 2020.

1. alexk243

alexk243 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Planning on driving west in my van towing an enclosed trailer with the girlfriend headed towards Fairplay, CO then onto Moab, UT. I have done a bit of riding around Fairplay and Crested Butte, but not much else. Looking for advice for anywhere to stop along I80/I90 that would have good trail riding or out in Colorado and Utah that are cant miss trail rides (OHV and street rides). Is there anything good near the Badlands for OHV riding?

Camper van allows me to stop and sleep almost anywhere and Ill be towing the following bikes; 2006 BMW F650GS (street legal), 2004 Honda CRF250R (CO OHV only), 2000 Honda XR100R (CO OHV only) and possible picking up two ATVs in Colorado. So if its a trail requiring a street legal bike it would be both the girlfriend and I on the F650GS and if its OHV stuff then we take the separate dirt bikes.

Not in much of a rush on this trip and if something is a bit off the path that's fine if its a cant miss trail, have the whole month with not much planned yet. Kinda last minute trip planning.
  2. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You probably know this, but Moab is hot. I visit eastern Utah regularly and stay away from Memorial day to Labor day. More fun in the hills.
    There's a real good atv loop near Mancos, co. Aspen Loop is about 40 miles long, has some ST off of it and plenty of off grid camping in the area.
    Uncompahgre plateau is westish of Montrose. Same thing. Lots of good trails and camping.
  3. alexk243

Oddometer:
    I'm open to other areas, just liked Moab for the mountain biking so at least want to pass through for a day.

I'll look at those other ones. I'm open to spending more time in Colorado, was just worried about high elevation early season. We will be staying most of the time near Fairplay, CO, but would like to travel around to try new areas.
  4. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    Get the Butler map of Colorado. It will show enough trails to keep you busy for an entire summer. Chose high or low country depending on the weather.
  5. alexk243

Oddometer:
    Does that map show off road/gravel trails? Or just good road rides? Ill pick one up if it shows both.

EDITED: Looks like they have two different types. I ordered the Colorado dual sport and road one. Thanks!

Still looking for advice on cant miss dirt and road trails
  6. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you meant 'driving west in my van with the girlfriend, towing an enclosed trailer.'
    If not, she's going to be the pretty angry when you let her out.
    Misplaced modifiers are often hysterical.
    :rofl:D
  7. alexk243

Oddometer:
    haha yeah, she is not making the trip in the trailer. Van is much more comfortable for both of us haha
  8. alexk243

Oddometer:
    Has anyone ever done riding in the Black Hill National Forest in South Dakota? Thinking of taking I90 out and spending a few days there, but I dont really know anything about that area.
  9. Too Tall

Too Tall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Black Hills has hundreds of miles of trails from easy cruising jeep style to tough, rocky single track and everything in between. Just be sure to get a National Forest permit; they'll give you a detailed trail map. Or simply use the Avenza map app for the BHNF.
  10. alexk243

Oddometer:
    Yeah I downloaded and was looking at some of the Avenza maps, but there are so many trails there and without reviews or anything it's hard to tell which ones are good ones. Was hoping someone had ridden there before.
  11. Too Tall

Too Tall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As far as "which ones are the good ones", that totally depends on you, your group's skill level, and what you're looking for. The single track here can be very challenging. The two track allows you to ride miles and miles of the Hills; just watch out for the side by sides coming the opposite direction.
    alexk243 likes this.
  12. alexk243

Oddometer:
    How about between Black Hills SD and Breckenridge CO, any really good trails there? Dirt, motorcycle, or bicycle.
  13. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might want to look into the Dakota Adventure Loop (DAKAL). It is all dirt roads of varying difficulty in and around the Black Hills. The web site and tracks tell which segments are not big bike friendly.

There is a lot of great riding along US 50 in the Salida CO area, especially around Sargents CO. But the trails have gotten to be very crowded there in summer time.

BTW I drove from MN to Moab last spring. I took I-80 to I-76 and then I70.

I was going to come back mostly on I-80, but it looked ~120 miles and 2 hours longer.

I did have to go thru Denver twice. But both times were in the middle of the day and I was able to keep near the speed limit the whole time.