IBA Great Lakes 100 Ride

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by IBAJIM, Aug 18, 2019.

1. IBAJIM

IBAJIM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A few of us are planning on doing an IBA ( Iron Butt Association ) Great Lakes 100.

We will meet in Rice Lake, Wisconsin the evening of Saturday, August 31st. Second night in Hearst, ON, third night in Brockville, ON, and the last night in Howe, IN.

Since there will be at least 7 Riders ( so far ) I am able to submit all the Rider's data to the IBA as a "group" ride, but this really isn't a big group ride. You can do it solo, ride in a small group, or ride with the balance of the Riders - just meet-up at the end of the day.

You must start & end at the same location for this ride and do it in under 100 hours. So, you can start near your home Saturday morning, or start in Rice Lake Sunday morning, or whatever. My plan is to finish in about 82 hours.

This is a good ride for a first IBA ride. I did it back in 2011. Plenty of time to get a good night's rest every night.

You will need a Passport, Enhanced Drivers License, Nexus Card, or a birth certificate & Driver's License and no felony or DUI convictions to get into Canada.

If you are interested in joining us, email me at :
    vandenbe@triton.net
  2. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish I could make it down for this ride but I have family stuff taking me to the Black Hills. Have fun and ride safe.
    varnerju likes this.
  3. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    I hope the "no felony or DUI convictions " requirement isn't the reason for the low response ..........
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  4. 1oldsickle

1oldsickle been over there awhile

Oddometer:
    I would love to make this ride again . But this weekend is not a good weekend for me. And my vacation took a good portion of my extra money.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  5. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    Maybe next year ?? I would like to do it again with a slightly longer route going down to Ithaca from Watertown, then across I-86.
    Dick Tater, 1oldsickle and Bigbob1 like this.
  6. varnerju

varnerju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HA! Thankfully that isn't the reason for my inability to attend. Short notice and lack of vacation time are the factors. Plus there is the idea that I wanted to do each lake circle individually before doing the whole shebang. Maybe if you got another one together for next year, I could plan "shakedown rides" to circle Huron and Superior thereby accomplishing my ridiculous prerequisites.

But as for the low response, I was somewhat surprised at the less than usual chatter here leading up to the Yooperland ride, yet the turnout there was good. Perhaps less inmates and more external participants?
  7. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    Well, the Labor Day weekend family activities probably didn't help, but I thought I'd post the thread anyway. Never know who might want to join in.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  8. 1oldsickle

Oddometer:
    I appreciate all the effort you put into these rides. Thanks for doing them.
    IBAJIM and Bigbob1 like this.
  9. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll try to attend one next summer/fall, Jim. Part of me wants to go for gold but it depends on how much LD practice I get. Being thousands of miles away from my bike keeps me from participating this year. Thanks for all the work you do, I enjoyed the Lake Michigan loop and yooper rides I participated in.
  10. varnerju

varnerju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How'd it go @IBAJIM ? Got a simple ride report so us unfortunate souls who couldn't attend can enjoy from afar?
    Bigbob1 and 1oldsickle like this.
  11. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    So, 8 of us met in Rice Lake, WI on Saturday. Sunday morning a huge bear ran across US-53 about an eight of a mile ahead of us. Just before Nipigon, in the middle of the day, there was a bobcat standing on the side of the road waiting for traffic to clear ( ?? ). When we got to Nipigon and turned north, it started to rain. It rained all the way to Hearst, our stop for the second night. The next morning 5 Riders left early in the rain at about 5 am. Rich departed at 8:00 am in the rain and Eddie & I left at about 8:20 am after the rain stopped. It was decent almost to Cochrane, but about 20 miles from Cochrane, it started raining again and got colder. After getting gas in Cochrane, Eddie & I went across the road to Tim Horton's to warm up and have a snack. A Rider and his pillion came in and said it was much warmer down in North Bay, our destination before heading east to Pembroke & Ottawa. We killed about 35 minutes at Tim's and left after the rain stopped. The weather was nice until we reached Ottawa when it started to rain again. It came down pretty good until we hit the 401 with 16 miles to go to Brockville, our destination. We found out the other 5 Riders had much more rain in the beginning of the day because they left much earlier than we did. So we road in the rain for about a total of 350 miles during the ride.

My last day ( for me, but not some of the other Riders ) was a good weather day. Eddie & Rich would end the day in Howe, IN and I would be heading home that evening. The three of us stopped in Wauseon, OH right off the OTP for dinner at the Blue Ribbon Diner - good food & good prices. For dessert, Rich had a huge slice of chocolate cake and I had home made apple pie. I will be back there in the future.

All 8 Riders finished in < 100 hours. Robert from Missouri started & ended in Springfield, MO and did a total of 3,325 miles in < 90 hours and polished off a 1,321 SS1K the last day on a Victory Vision. I did 2,706 miles in < 89 hours starting & ending in Croton, MI.

The other Riders started & ended in Waterloo, IN ; Middlebury, IN ; Cedar Grove, WI ; Norway, MI ; Marquette, MI ; and Brighton, MI.
  12. 1oldsickle

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the RR .
    varnerju and Bigbob1 like this.
  13. varnerju

varnerju Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some interesting wildlife and weather to deal with. Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing!
  14. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd also mention Chuck from Brighton, MI is 82 y/o and rode a H-D.

You meet all types of people on these IBA rides. I met Chuck in Greenville, SC. He did an SS1K down to Greenville to the end of the IBR this year.
    LeMaitre, pmillar and Bigbob1 like this.
  15. Chugiak

Chugiak Lechien Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there a GPX for this ride, I'd like to try this either with a few riders or solo, thanks for the RR.
    varnerju likes this.
  16. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    There isn't really a specific route required, you just the need to get the 6 mandatory receipts. I would Google 24hr gas stations in each location, make those addresses your waypoints in order and select the fastest route from one to the next. Stop for gas and bio breaks as needed between the mandatories.

-Illinois (any town is allowed)
    -Superior, Wisconsin or Duluth, Minnesota
    -Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
    -Sudbury, Ontario, Canada OR North Bay, Ontario, Canada
    -Watertown, New York (you may use the toll receipt for the bridge on I-81 at the US/Canada border)
    -Cleveland, Ohio area

LeMaitre and Bigbob1 like this.
  17. drneo

drneo mmm... delicious

Oddometer:
    Nice!! I enjoyed my GL100 that I completed a couple years ago. I nested in a metric Ontario saddlesore from ~Sudbury to Thunder Bay.

My favorite story was stopping around 8am at a small gas station in a smaller Ontario town. I asked the gas station attendant how long it would take to get to Thunder Bay from here (my GPS only had US maps :dunno-) - he said it would take about "two days of driving" - I was in a hotel by 23:00 that night :rofl

I also saw a lady that passed me doing well above the post limit, blow through the first 1/8th of a mile of a flagged construction zone, then slam on her brakes hard enough that she left tracks and the tires smoked. The construction worker had some choice words for her...