IBA Lake Huron SS1K

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by IBAJIM, Dec 10, 2019.

?

Interested in doing the ride ??

1. Heck YES !!

2. YES

3. Maybe

4. NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. IBAJIM

IBAJIM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is the gold star drivers license just as good as an "Enhanced Driver License" ? If so, that will work instead of a passport.

EDIT: No it isn't - see my next post.
  2. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    EDIT - see below in BLUE .

I just did some checking on the internet about the "gold star license". The official name for it is a "Real ID License". It's just as good as an Enhanced Driver's License as far as crossing the border coming back from Canada ( NOT TRUE). The Enhanced Driver's License contains an RFID chip but the Real ID License doesn't but they are both acceptable as ID as far as Homeland Security is concerned ( NOT TRUE).

So it looks like to me you won't need a passport if you have a Gold Star / Real ID driver's license ( NOT TRUE). You can always call U.S. Border patrol at the Soo to verify.

I called and found out since a Real ID is not "machine readable" because it doesn't contain a chip, it won't work. But a birth certificate & driver's license will work. A U.S. citizen will never be refused admittance to the U.S.

A birth certificate proves citizenship.
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  3. Harry Shaft

Harry Shaft n00b

Oddometer:
    Jim,
    Paperwork filled out and emailed to you
    money sent via PayPal

READY TO RIDE !!!!!
  4. spoonyfork

spoonyfork 2020 BMW R1250RS

Oddometer:
    Draft route planned, hotel room reserved. :thumbup
    IBAJIM likes this.
  5. drbuzzard

drbuzzard Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    i'm still having foot problems but if i can handle it i'll be there
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  6. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    CBC news just reported that the border will remain closed another 30 days
  7. varnerju

varnerju Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So 30 days from now would mean mid August opening, but this news article alludes to "late August" before considering opening. Probably not in the cards. It is still on my calendar though, and I have approval from TPTB so it would be a shame to waste the opportunity. I've been eyeballling the "Almost Heaven to Hell and back" ride for a while now. Wonder if riding the reverse would be acceptable (Hell to WV back to Hell), or try making a SS2K with the "Almost HH" nested in the middle? Jim's planning is far superior to mine, so maybe this will spark something in his mind @IBAJIM
  8. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    August 21st is the date of the border closure extension so that will effect this ride too, bummer.

That will kill any chance of a ride for me this year. I had a hunch early on that it was going to be a long one. Not wanting to just sit home I bought another boat to play with. It's been about ten years since I have had one and I am having a blast with it.
    drbuzzard likes this.
  9. IBAJIM

Oddometer:
    Yup, the Lake Huron SS1K ride is cancelled. There will be an alternative SS1K ride done all in the lower peninsula and a short run down the Indiana Toll Road will be run on the same date. It will start & end at the Speedway station next to the Denny's in Lansing on M-43/Waverly Rd.

Goto the Lake Huron SS1K webpage for more info : Lake Huron SS1K
    Bigbob1 likes this.