ICBC No-fault Announcement Feb 6/2020

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ommoran, Feb 6, 2020.

1. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back in my country (Italy) people drive long term rental or lease cars with German or French plate because a traffic violation in Italy is null if not received in 60 days, and the extra international loop makes them basically immune to traffic cameras and speed cameras
  2. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Insurance costs may be a part of why BC "residents" have Alberta plates but I would guess that saving the PST on vehicle costs plays just as big a role, if not bigger, than insurance. An acquaintance did just this when he bought a motorhome. Saved thousands of $'s. Personally, I would not want to be on the wrong end of a lawsuit in this scenario.

As for the cap being lifted on insurance rates in Alberta.......yes they have, but all my insurance (5 vehicles) came due in January and the premiums are within pennies of what they were before. I pay $1300/year for 3 bikes with $2 million liability and $500 deductible for collision and comprehensive. Most expensive is my Blackbird at just under $500. About $400 for my ST and Vstrom.

That being said, there were lots of stories in the news about people being hit with big increases.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  3. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    So they go play in Italy?:evil Same "play" was happening in BC.Got so bad that a few years ago they were targeted by the law.I had so many close calls prior to that.....sure quietened that down for a couple years as they digested their fines and lack of apparent immunity!

Mind you.....I am still rattled by my last encounter just thinking about it!May day encounter aka playing time?Might be time for some targeted enforcement once again?Target their poor driving habits AND invalid insurances if vehicle has been in BC for +6months? The last is actually called fraud!:nod

A few stiff $575(?) fines for driving without valid insurance in BC and spread the word around?Add an inspection to license an out of province vehicle in BC(motos exempt) and associated costs to repair as the inspection is rather rigorous?That would send the message out!
  4. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are no basically no borders in Europe, they just leave in Italy full time but the plate is German because the leasing company is German.
  5. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I'm currently insuring 4 motorcycles in Alberta, no comprehensive coverage as 2 are what I consider to be "throw away bikes" the 2017 & 2018 Honda GROMs, a 2014 CB 500X & a 2006 Suzuki 1400 Intruder, which insurance would give me next to nothing for, so why pay the extra. Paying just over $1000 for the year & that includes The_Filly as primary rider on the 2017 GROM, & even though this is just her 2nd season, her rate on the GROM is less than what I pay on the GROM and I am entering my 20th season on 2 wheels. I do expect an increase when I switch the CB 500X for a 2020 Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel however
  6. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, article reminds us that the lawyers and the insurance industry aren't happy with the changes. No surprise there, given how deep into ICBC's pockets the legal profession has been reaching. But these are early days and the details are not yet known. Hope they haven't screwed it up too badly.
  8. offroadjunky

offroadjunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You still have to remember that insurance for bikes in Alberta is based on the bike not on the road during winter which in some areas is 4-6 months.
  9. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it is a numbers thing. The insurance is valid for 12 months but the insurers know that the vast majority will only be ridden for 6 months at the most. Sask. does it a bit different in that you don't have to pay for 12 months. IIRC you can get coverage for only 6 months there. Good thing as the rates are insanely high.
  10. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ICBC allows insurance for 6-7-8 month periods and I only insure for a max of 7 months each year, lacking any masochistic tendencies.
    gpfan likes this.
  11. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which is worth pointing at: if lawyers are unhappy, customers should be happy
    shuswap1 likes this.
  12. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Minimum 3 months, 1 month increments after that.
  13. grashopper

grashopper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To all those that believe government (monopoly) insurance is the way to go. Real world case, boots on the ground example, Me:

40+ years bike, car, class 1 licence. Bike is 2007 1200GS,
    In Alberta, commuting into Calgary
    In BC interior, retired pleasure only

Alberta premiums. 5 months riding season. Covered for 12 months. Premium = x$
    ICBC premiums. 7 months riding season. Covered for 12 months. Premium = 4x$

Don't get me wrong I love living in BC and the roads are Wayyyyyyyy better for riding but ICBC :dizave
    Best example of BC (bring cash) I know of.
    manybike and Night_Wolf like this.
  14. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    What year is the Alberta premium number from as the Kenney crowd have removed the cap on rate increases?
    gpfan likes this.
  15. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I'm a little over $1000 for 4 bikes, this year, 2006 Suzuki S83 Boulevard/VS1400 Intruder, 2014 CB 500X , 2017 Honda GROM, 2018 Honda GROM, primary rider on the 2017 GROM is The_Filly, who has her licence just over 1 year & "her" portion of the bill is under $200. 1 Million liability, no collision on any; Intruder is too old to make it worthwhile (no matter how much cash I have in it) GROMs are almost "throw away" bikes for their initial cost & the 500X isn't likely to get much value due to it's age & initial cost, so cheaper to run no collision. If I wreck them, I'll pay to fix them
    manybike likes this.
  16. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's how to keep the insurance costs down...no collision. For less expensive bikes ,which are generally more fun anyway (no payments), it is probably not worth the extra yearly cost.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  17. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    When I left Ontario in 2006 I was paying $1250 for ONE motorcycle; my 2001 VS800/2001 VS1400 & 2005 Wee Strom (never owned more than 1 at a time) all cost me the same $1250. Moved to Alberta, sold the 05 Wee for an 07 and cost was $550 with full coverage & full replacement value for 2 years. Added the 06 1400 in 2012 & it added $70 a year to the policy; in Ontario that combination would have set me back $2500

I do expect a bit of a jump when I pick up the Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
  18. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    See post #42
  19. Bipolar

Bipolar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When the BC Ferry the Queen Of The North sank in 2006 the family of the two people that were never found and presumed drowned were going to take BC Ferries to court and sue.
    It never made it to court as they could not afford the court fees for the lawsuit as it was going to cost upwards of $60,000.00 and that does not include the lawyer's fees.
    Just another way the government could suck money out of the insurance company.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  20. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be careful what you ask for. With people screaming for Government help with their Condo Insurance the shoe gets placed on the other foot. I wonder if ICBC will get back into House insurance??