1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Ice and snow riding

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by skadamo, Nov 26, 2004.

1. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:

a Sahara[​IMG]

dont need self tapping screws. if you wanna go on the cheap just get some #8x1/2" tek head sheet metal screws, or longer if your knobs are new. the difference is, that they are not hardened and wont last long on asphalt, but they will do wonders on frozen trails and gravel. Problem is that soft compound tires tend to spit out screws. You could allways bring a cordless drill and screws along, and apply as needed.

just a thought
  2. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    Motojoe,

This may be advice you've heard already, if so ignore it.

Not sure if your doing physical theropy or not. Exercising your leg is the key. If it hurts to move a certain way try to slowly strengthen the mussles that make that motion happen. Weak mussles and tight tendons are usually the culprit of pain. Strenghtening them is the key to getting rid of it. use light weight and high repition. Stay dedicated to it.

Try to stay optimistic. Sounds like you are already.:thumb

not sure how or break compares mine but my femur break was a spiral fracture in the middle of the femur. Its about 3 years now since I broke it. They cut open my hip, boared out the femur and screwed it in above the knee and in the hip.

My knee and hip still hurt sometimes where they put the screws in. It ususally is soar after hard exercise. Nothing unbearable though...pretty mild. I'm 29 now, I know that plays into the healing thing. Took me about 6 months before I got the nerve to get on a dirt bike.

PS, don't nurse you leg once the doc clears you to give it your worst. Your mind will be trained to limp but continuing to do so can cause back problems.
  3. motojoe

motojoe Arrest Cheney and Bush

Oddometer:
    I am at three and a half months, I have already been riding walking cycling camping working on bikes and my truck etc..

I do try to walk as straight as possible but I have acute not general pain in my knee. weight bearing when between 70 and 100 degrees flexion causes sharp pain in the lower, center portion of my knee. As my leg gets stronger the pain is getting worse at that spot but the soreness is gone in normal walking unless going up or down stairs. I ride a stationary bike about 2.5 hours a week and am swimming, lifting weights, walking, etc... Just a matter of time I guess. I recently got a steroid injection in the knee and this may have good bad or no effect, depending on the cartilage damage location severity and my metabolism of a steroid anti inflammatory. Fuck it if it keeps hurting when I finish pharmacy school I will just raid the locked cabinet now and then :) two for patient one for me, two for patient one for me....... :rofl

got a final exam in 6 hours holla at ya later.
  4. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Good luck on the final! Rehab is toughSounds like you'll get it back quick, only problem is getting the bones and muscles to heal, you can't speed that up.
  5. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    :rofl Put one on the side for me too. Good luck on the exam!
  6. EnduroJoe

EnduroJoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Motojoe,
    Hope that knee pain goes away. My knee has been a pain since that face plant this fall but its slowly getting better.
    Now as for snow and ice riding I usually stick to the 2 stroke to play around on.
    Haven't tried studs, but if we get lots of packed sleet I can get enough traction
    to pull my brother around on skates or hitch up the sleigh.
    Hopefully this link will work.
    Don't have any snow around St. Louis yet. Does anyone else have some icy
    pictures or videos?
  7. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    :wave hiya Joe
    nice clip :nod
  8. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Hi joe:wave good to hear from you. I like the log tied on the rope/ it adds a little extra danger:D
  9. EnduroJoe

EnduroJoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hay, Chain, Skinner

The log was to hold on to when you had your skates on. I should have got a sharp turn on tape with a long rope, the sled takes off like a rocket and if your on the bike you come to a stop after the turn. Sometimes the sled pulls you backwards for a little bit, lotsa fun!
  10. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
  11. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    I just went for a ride on the DRZ. It is 21 deg outside. Daym,thats cold. My body was fine with the heated vest. My feet are freezing after 20 minutes. I need some serious boots. shifting will be a beyatch.

I got some of these...
    [​IMG]
    and wore fleece gloves but my hands got cold enough for some serious pain. I have a feeling the wind was coming in under the velcro straps and blasting my hands. I need a way to seal them up better.

If I am gonna do much riding in this weather I will have to get heated grips and a better stator to run them and my vest.

also, my visor fogged up and froze. probably need a snowmobile hemlet.

other than that the ride was great!
  12. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
    Aren't all rides great??

I use FogTech on my goggles and it works good. The guy who makes it is on this board. I need to replenish, thanks for reminding me.
  13. staples

staples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The first day in March of '03.... I washed it:
    [​IMG]

A while later in Sept '03 the Franken-Ninja slid into the hitch on the back of a Cadillac. It kept the forks nice and straight :evil:
    [​IMG]

That accident obliterated(sp?) my plastics. so i pulled out the torch, staples and pliers. Held staple with pliers, torched staples till red hot, and stapled my plastics back together. After the repairs and staples (thus my name):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also a kewl picture showing the staple work.
  14. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    Now I get it. That is some great handy work!:thumb I assume you just used a staple gun? That bike is definitely a keeper.
  15. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    motorcycles die hard at the Freeman Farm :nod
  16. skadamo

skadamo I like riding

Oddometer:
    Someday I'll learn to read too...(homer voice)"ooooo, pretty pictures." Nice!
  17. richard_2010

richard_2010 n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your knee,

I have been using MaxiGrip Studs HM11 on my bike. They were a pain to find but they are now selling them online. Stays on forever and you can reuse them.

Here is the info about them: http://www.maxigripstore.com
  18. sideshow

sideshow debaser

Oddometer:
    Awww. . . sympathy from a :spam mer. Just a few or so years late.