Ice Bear CT70 clone

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by wsjones, Feb 15, 2015.

1. wsjones

wsjones Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who's their 123cc engine supplier? Can't seem to google that anywhere.

Anyone have any issues with them? Considering one for my wife to plonk around the trails on our property, and maybe some dirt road gentle riding. Considering Ice Bear because of 4-speed auto because she won't drive/ride anything with a clutch.

Thanks. -Scott
  2. scottro

scottro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a few Chinese Honda clones of various manufacture. I'm not sure there's a huge difference in quality/reliability between Loncin, Zongshen, or Lifan engines.

CT70 clones are a hoot. Lots and lots of fun for the money. You might find some more info on the "Mychinamoto" forum.
  3. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cute little rascal! Never heard of them.

Loncin makes the engine.

[​IMG]

Dealer in UT Link

PRODUCT DETAILS

Engine Type:single cylinder, 4 stroke
    Cooling System:air cool
    Drive System:chain
    Piston Displacement (cc):123
    bore*Stroke(inches):2.06"x2.24"
    Compression Rate:9.0:1
    Maximum Power (kw/r/min):6.3/7500
    Maximum Torque (N.m./rpm):8.8/5500
    Starter System:elec/kick start
    Gears:INTERNATIONAL 4 GEARS
    Overall Length (inches):53.1"
    Overall Width (inches):21.7"
    Overall Hight (inches):35"
    Wheel Base (inches):35.8"
    Ground Clearance (inches):6.2"
    Brake (Front/Rear):drum / drum
    TIRE, Front:3.50-8
    TIRE, Rear:3.50-8
    Ignition Type:CDI
    Engine Oil Capacity (Gallon):1.32 (somehow I doubt this is the right unit of measure)
    Max. Speed (mi/h):28
    N.W(lb):134
    G.W(lb):167
    Seat Height(inches):24.6"
    Battery:12V/4Ah
    Frame:Steel
    Packing size(inches):60"x18"x32"
    Weight Capacity(lb):309
    MILES PER GALLON:131.5
    WEIGHT ON TOW HITCH:no
    SIZE OF GAS TANK(Gallon):1.2
    MAKE OF ENGINE:LONCIN
  4. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    same manufacturer:

[​IMG]
  5. wsjones

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Regarding the UT link, it's interesting that the Mango specs list engine manufacturer and the CT70's isn't described.

Best price I've found so far on the Ice Bear CT is $1189 delivered. Another, a 125cc 'Falcon' CT clone, is next cheapest and also states 'Loncin engine' prominently in the ad.

Is the Loncin worth $200 more? They do seem to be promoting those products that have their engine in them.

I guess for my intended uses it probably doesn't make 2 cents worth of difference. Both will give her something to try riding a bit without too much outlay, and both have a year warranty (for whatever it's worth).
  6. scottro

scottro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. wsjones

Oddometer:
    scottro: Thanks. I guess I just need reassurance.

Simple stuff I'm capable of, and hey, it's a motorcycle! I started out with a 1972 H-D SS350 Sprint back in 1974 and never had to tinker with ANYTHING over the years more than that one. I've got chainsaws now of the same vintage that are less finicky than it was then. Was happy when I got it and happy when it left, although I wish I had a clean one now given the prices.

I'll probably order one or the other of the CT clones as soon as the snow melts a bit, which might be a while this year. At present it'd be a major chore to get the crate into the barn to unpack, let alone set it up (no heat in barn).

My cousin had 2 of the CT70's when we were kids and I'm still envious, which may be a good part of why I want a clone for my wife truth be told. But I'm convinced if she's ever going to ride anything it needs to be cute, un-intimidating, and easy to master. I toyed with the Z50 and sidehack after reading stuff here but figure the CT's a better choice.

Thanks again. -Scott
  8. Dezzie

Dezzie Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

tankshooter and YJake like this.
  9. wsjones

Oddometer:
    Sweet merciful heavens! Ton of work, $$ and dedication their.

Me, I'm looking for retro- utilitarian and cheap. I hope I don't to do anything more than change tires, oil, and miscellaneous wear parts.
  10. hugemoth

hugemoth Big Brother is watching you!

Oddometer:
    I believe Loncin is the largest motorcycle manufacturer in China, and they have a very good reputation. The Ice Bear looks like a good deal to me.
  11. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    Bar None has a couple of Ice Bear bikes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. ShenandoahRider

ShenandoahRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not get a nice, reliable Japanese scooter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  13. scottro

scottro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're planning on plating the bike for road use, you'll probably want to do some research to see if it's a hassle in NY or not.
  14. wsjones

Oddometer:
    Thought about the scooter route but decided otherwise for a couple reasons: She'll end up riding off-road more than on - she's not interested in traffic AT ALL. We have about 40 acres of trails on our property that we walk and ski, so backyard riding will be a primary destination. Plus the CT clone appeals to ME a bunch more than a scooter, unless I stumble on a really nice, cheap original CT90/110. Or maybe even one of the Ice Bear 'Dart' 110cc scooter-ish motorcycles if any exist for sale. That one's a cute hybrid.

I do need to check with DMV about licensing. NY has some damn goofy scooter/moped/motorcycle designations and registration/licensing/riding requirements.

I should probably pull the trigger on something soon before it turns into spring and prices go up. Despite current conditions here (single digit high temps and 20+ inches of snow on the ground), it'll be spring for a lot of people in a month.
  15. scottro

scottro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. wsjones

Oddometer:
    Yeah, some of the websites are scary. Had I not read posts here about saferwholsale I'd never have bothered to look at stuff there.

This place seems pretty legit and is frequently mentioned on this forum and others, plus I can use paypal: http://www.motobuys.com/monkey-ib-championdax-l.html
  17. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, Too far to the mountains and too cold
    I am pretty sure that I read that Loncin makes/made the BMW 450 & 650 single engines. That is a pretty strong endorsement.
  18. wsjones

Oddometer:
    Bought one, should be here in a week or two. Hope the snow melts enough to get to shed to put together. She actually sounds excited about the prospect!
  19. Culcune

Culcune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Powersportsmax has been in business for a long time. However, they sell the Skyteam CT clones (manual clutch) vs. the semi-auto Ice Bear CT clones. There are few online dealers for the Ice Bear, but here is one that sells them and the price includes shipping:

http://www.motobuys.com/monkey-bikes.html
  20. wsjones

Oddometer:
    Yep, purchased the Ice Bear from motobuys. In transit now, should be here end of next week or first of following.

No rush because there's entirely too much snow still to ride anything right now, let alone a CT70 clone. On the positive side, it looks like the ground's going to stay frozen for another few weeks anyway even as we slowly lose the snow, so hopefully she can get to try it out before summer.

I'll post a picture when I get it assembled and some Honda decals affixed.