Ice Bear CT70 clone

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by wsjones, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Culcune

Culcune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you want the semi-auto transmission, or do you not care about manual? The Ice Bear is the semi-auto bike like wsjones has and is only available as an 'Ice Bear'.

Skyteam makes a near identical bike in 125cc, but with a 4-speed manual, that is sold as the SSR, Pitster Pro, Pirahna (might not be available anymore), Skyteam, Trail Buddy (like the Pirahna, might not be available anymore), and Roketa.

This is the best price on the Roketa http://www.powersportsmax.com/product_info.php/cPath/482/products_id/17529 but with shipping is probably not much less cost than the Ice Bear from Motobuys.
  2. Culcune

Culcune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. wsjones

wsjones Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Piddled around with it on and off today despite the chilly weather and seem to have it mostly sorted out. Signals were a loose ground, finally found neutral which seems touchy but may smooth out with use, wiring and cable routing tidied up, fuel and vent lines shortened and re-routed so choke is easier to engage, stickers peeled off (all but one came off completely clean after light application of heat gun; the other left a bunch of residue that will come off tomorrow after I get some goo-gone).

I took Scottro's advice on how to "engineer" a work around for the missing axle bushing. I rummaged around the shop and came up with a spacer that I cut off for inside the bearing and stacked 3 galvanized washers on the fork side. Seemed to work fine, so since the weather wasn't terrible - 35 and only flurrying sporadically - I went for a ride to the neighbor's to show it off! And bless his heart if he didn't offer to machine me a bushing if one doesn't show up.

Transmission feels a bit clunky but positive and the engine is quite smooth. Haven't swapped out the stock plug but it started, idled and ran ok.

Attached Files:

4. wsjones

Oddometer:
    Added the CT70 emblems to this side but couldn't do the other until I get to the hardware store for goo gone and some clear spray paint, as apparently these have to be clear coated. I got a few bubbles on the decal but not bad enough to buy another set. I suspect it was too cold to try doing it even though I heated up the paint a bit first, but I was impatient. Plus I've sucked at the decal-ing thing since cub scouts.

Attached Files:

5. Culcune

Culcune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, for a brand new bike with few miles, in cold weather, she sounds like she is doing exactly as intended. Once you get the bike ran in, and one or two more oil changes, I think the bike will start to do what it is supposed to do, but far more smoothly! :clap
  6. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why only 6 hp from a 125 that's about what the original 70s had.
  7. wsjones

Oddometer:
    I suppose I really should wait for my wife to get back from Easter-ing with her mother and let her ride it before trying to get it broken in, eh? But hey, she didn't have to go visiting!

Seriously, thanks all for the advice and support. So far I'm pleased with the bike, if less so with the missing pieces. Jury's still out on the retailer for a replacement bushing. I expect things will smooth out with use, just like anything else. Heck, it's only got 1.5 miles on the odometer!

Regarding my question in the first post of this thread about the Ice Bear's engine: It's a Zongshen. Shift pattern is 1 down, 3 up.
  8. wsjones

Oddometer:
    Dunno, but I do know it feels more substantial than the original 70 cc's. (edit) I suspect USEPA!
  9. wsjones

Oddometer:
    If you're looking for an automatic, the other option I found was the "Falcon" http://www.megamotormadness.com/product/stb003-125cc-street-bike . I emailed to ask if this one was indeed an automatic, which they confirmed. I don't know whether the Loncin shift pattern is 4 up or 1 down, 3 up like Ice Bear's. All else being equal, I'd prefer the 4 up pattern for a newbie like my wife as I think neutral would be more intuitive to find.

They also say they price match so I sent them the Ice Bear ad, which they said they'd match on the Falcon if I called their customer service rep or manager. I fully intended to buy it if I'd ever managed to get that person to answer the phone or call me back. After 2 weeks I just ordered the other one. But you may have better luck than me if you're interested.
  10. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I actually checked it out after I posted [should have done it before I posted] and the 70 only had 4.5 hp..I can't believe the places I went and fun I had with 4.5 hp:lol3
  11. Culcune

Culcune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Chinese companies do not make their engines to maximize horsepower--they would NOT be reliable (in simple air/oiled engines they make--they are slowly working on better engines). So, these bikes, you get a slight horsepower bump, but extra torque--pretty much the same reliability as the originals.

All the people I have read here, on chinariders.net, and mychinamoto.com, have all gotten their bikes into the mid-50s mph, stock, and a few more mph, and having better cruisability with sprocket changes. With exhaust and carb upgrades--little over 60 mph. You really don't want much more than that anyway, because, like the originals, these were made for around town and/or trail riding, not cruising down the interstate, although a 140cc crate engine would help in that dept., and I have read some guys going to some 190cc extreme crate engine, but no one has posted those results.
  12. wsjones

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I have to think 60 mph on 10" wheels might be a bit too much of a good thing!
  13. Culcune

Culcune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There was a guy from Virginia (I believe) on chinariders.net who bought an Ice Bear because his buddy is an Ice Bear dealer who claimed, with GPS, he was getting 60 bone stock. He posted for a couple weeks, and then never posted again, which was a shame because we all wanted to know how well these bikes hold up; I think we collectively doubted his 60 claim, but you never know...:wink:
  14. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    now you just need to throw on a supercharger kit

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wVt-35lHkBg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  15. Dezzie

Dezzie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. scottro

scottro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Skyteam is sort-of a brand. It's somewhat more official than "Piranha" but the actual manufacturer of my Skyteam bikes is Jiangsu Sacin Motorcycle Co. I supposedly bought a Piranha, but the box and manual said "Skyteam" and the MSO said Sacin. When I registered my bikes, I had to register them as Sacins. The EPA and DOT certifications are are in the name Sacin. It's not a super important issue overall, but if you attempt to register these bikes, use the name from the MSO, not the box or whatever the importer dubbed them. LOL
  17. scottro

scottro Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'm not sure what emissions add-ons your bike has. It doesn't look as festooned w/ chintzy charcoal canisters, vacuum valves, and tubing as mine had. One thing I will highly recommend is to replace the stock airbox with a decent UNIfilter pod. The stock airbox has maybe 1/4" of very lame foam to filter the air. For $20 a UNI pod is a good investment.

Another thing I'll highly recommend is to use ethanol-free fuel if you can get it. I've had many issues with 10% ethanol gasoline gumming up the carbs when the bikes sit for awhile. These carbs are easy to remove and clean, but still it's a PITA when you just want to ride.

The Honda decals look sweet.
  18. scottro

scottro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh... If you do a google search for Thumpstar Service Manual there are many locations where you can download a .pdf manual that works for most mechanical aspects of the Honda clone engines used in these bikes.

I think it was free on Thumpstar's site forever, but I'm not sure Thumpstar is still an existing brand. I doubt there's a copyright issue, but I won't post a link on the forum. Thumpstar probably copied it from someone else. :evil
  19. wsjones

Oddometer:
    Scottro:

Once again, thanks for good advice. I'll try to google up the manual.

Mine has no charcoal canister vapor collection system (surprisingly) but I'll assume it has a cat. If so, it'll stay where it's at unless it clogs up or something.

We have a few stations locally with non-ethanol 91 octane, which is what I use for chainsaws, trimmers, splitter, my KLR, old Oliver tractor, etc. That's what's in the Ice Bear now, with Stabil. Since it's hardly an over-the-road bike it shouldn't be hard to maintain a steady diet of non-corn fuel.

Does anyone make a decent replacement OEM style filter element? Not that the filter assembly is all that great or retro looking, just as an alternative to the Uni pod.

I am happy to report that the MSO arrived by mail the same day as the bike. Still awaiting any communication on the missing parts.
  20. wsjones

Oddometer:
    I decided to swap out scooter tires with something more dual sport-ish. I considered the Shinko 421's, which look pretty similar to the original CT70 tires but only come in 3.50-10 ($26 each, delivered from motorcycle superstore). Finally decided on the IRC's for a bit more ($33 from same source), which arrived today. Nice looking tire. They are 4.00-10 and will much look better on the Bear. I'll post pics when I get them mounted.

They should do everything my wife will ever want to do on it.