1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

ICEBEAR VISION 150 (Zuma clone)

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by WR450FADVn, Apr 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. WR450FADVn

WR450FADVn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have always wanted to do some sort of longish trip on small bikes. Since being stuck at home I have been thinking a lot and figured this would be as good a time as any to try and accomplish this goal. So I called up a buddy of mine that just retired from the army and with basically zero convincing he was in! The goal is to buy a machine and get it set up for 5 days of camping in the mountains around VA, WV, and NC for $1000 or less. So naturally we bought the cheapest Chinese scooters that we could find:jack I mean this is supposed to be an adventure!
    kpinvt, klaviator, CashCow and 2 others like this.
  2. Glenn247

Glenn247 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Which scooters and from where?
  3. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let's see whatcha got planned!? :ear
  4. WR450FADVn

WR450FADVn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The scoots we bought are ICEBEAR VISION 150cc. They are a copy of the BWS 125 from around 2014. We paid $703 each delivered to the door!

Attached Files:

Bors, kpinvt, klaviator and 3 others like this.
  5. WR450FADVn

WR450FADVn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have had many bikes but never any Chinese stuff but this little thing is sweet! I took my time assembling, checked, and lock tighted most of the hardware. From my research people have trouble with the vacuum petcock so I picked up some manual ones as well as quality fuel lines. Pulled all the electrical connections including handle bar switch’s and added lots of dielectric grease.

Attached Files:

klaviator and The Virginian like this.
  6. WR450FADVn

WR450FADVn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The rear for some reason has a ridiculous fender extension that’s twice the necessary size. 26844726-EE9E-4F54-B724-5955967792AE.jpeg 2198CA29-233A-4929-A4D4-2A1BB3A9CB11.jpeg 02619695-410C-43AF-B6FE-7719D6D1A91F.jpeg
    kpinvt, Bar None and The Virginian like this.
  7. WR450FADVn

WR450FADVn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After the first little ride of 61km (lol) I decided to put some quality Honda oil in and added magnetic drain plugs.

Attached Files:

klaviator likes this.
  8. WR450FADVn

WR450FADVn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The headlight output was really bad and more then anything I want people to be able to see me. A bright light definitely helps! The taillights are led and I’m very happy with how bright they are. I found some h4 replacements on amazon that fit perfectly! I already had a ac to dc converter from superbrightleds.com the was supposed to be for my KDX. The light out put now is awesome!!!! The little top light is just a DRL but I swapped it as well.

Attached Files:

klaviator likes this.
  9. WR450FADVn

WR450FADVn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In that crazy mess of wires I found a black wire that just dead ended. It’s putting out 12 volts DC when the key is switched to on. I ordered a usb outlet on amazon that sorta looks like it belongs. 3D7C2958-00B2-4012-B87E-1D042FA7F3C4.jpeg
    MJSfoto1956, Bar None and klaviator like this.
  10. WR450FADVn

WR450FADVn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We have been kayaking for years and have a bunch of dry bags of various sizes. We plan to use those as panniers. I may fab up something to hold them. Also want to add some sort of highway pegs preferably ones that flip out of the way. We are starting out east of Richmond VA and will head west into the mountains then south from there. Are plan is to only ride roads without a line in the middle. Might do some of the BDR but don’t want to get to crazy since these are just scooters. But I have riden the trails around my house and was impressed with the capabilities. Y’all let us know what else we need to do to these bad mama jamas!
  11. scootaloo

scootaloo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lookin good.. $700 chinese scooters delivered to your door and a long ride ahead. What could possibly go wrong? Good luck and thanks for sharing.
    kpinvt and klaviator like this.
  12. Steve_h

Steve_h Long timer

Oddometer:
    Change the rear end oil too. Many times what ships is some sort of something that sort of resembles oil and sometimes it doesn't even resemble it very much. Some of the manufacturers use decent oil. Only real way to know is to change it. The chinese engines are quite tough. It's the electricals and other mechanicals that usually give problems. Sounds like you're being proactive and taking care of loose bolts and wiring connections before they become a problem. One other thing...if the tires are anything like the ones that were on my chinese scoot when I got it, they will only last about 2k miles, especially the back one.
    My original belt only lasted about 1500 miles. Check the inlet and outlet for cvt cooling air. You might need to fab some sort of filter to help keep dust out if you're doing a lot of dirt/dirt road riding. I've heard it'll eat the belt and rollers more quickly than regular street riding.
    Be careful with the plastic body panels. They tend to be sort of thin and easy to break off mounting tabs.
    There's not much excess electrical output so be sparing with additional lighting if you plan on adding any. The usb connector is a great idea.
    Nice looking scoot. Hope it serves you well on your trip. It should last you a long time.
    Good luck. I'll be watching for the ride reports.
    klaviator and WR450FADVn like this.
  13. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    It will be interesting to see how CVT scooters (and Chinese ones at that) hold up on dirt roads. There should be two openings in the CVT case. The front one is where air is drawn in by the fins on the front pulley. It is usually where the filter is. However the filter is not really meant for off road use, and IMO trying to install a filter that would keep out dirt from riding off road would likely reduce the air flow enough to cause overheating of the belt. The rear opening is where the air that went in through the front opening comes out, and it almost always has no filter. On pavement it doesn't really need one, because you have air under pressure being blown out, and that will not allow dirt to get in. I have no idea how that would work on dirt roads. There are a lot of parts in a CVT that could be damaged by dirt. The pulleys, belt, rollers, clutch, and the spring loaded assembly behind the rear pulley could all be ground up by dirt. But I guess the only way to find out is to try it and see what happens. Hopefully you will not be stranded in the middle of nowhere if the scooters break down. I would definitely carry some Ride On, a 12V compressor, and a pair of needle nose pliers in case you have a flat tire.
    WR450FADVn likes this.
  14. WR450FADVn

WR450FADVn Adventurer

Oddometer:

I have had afew go karts and mini bikes over the years with eBay cvts that where pretty reliable. These Gy6 engines are popular on newer go karts as well. I will definitely keep my eye on it though. Probably upgrade the belt to a name brand and carry the original as a spare
    klaviator likes this.
  15. WR450FADVn

WR450FADVn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Added a cell holder and seat cover today. Verdict is still out on both...

Attached Files:

JBJHillbilly and klaviator like this.
  16. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking darn sharp! Like other have said replace and and all fluids with quality oil, brake fluid, etc. I would also replace all the fuel lines, they're notorious for drying and cracking in months. Other than that the batteries are know for giving up the ghost early. This bike chose is a good choice. Icebear i many notches above the rest. Did you get them Cajun Maddogs?
  17. WR450FADVn

WR450FADVn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They came from Mega Motor Madness . Com
    scootaloo and The Virginian like this.
  18. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This looks like fun. I am a big fan of small scooters as well as small motorcycles. I have ridden all of my scooters in the dirt from time to time and have never had any issues with dirt getting in the CVT. The biggest thing that would concern me is water getting in. For that reason I have avoided water crossings.
    WR450FADVn and rdhood like this.
  19. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Vendor link.

What are the first 3 VIN characters?

Does the carb idle speed adjustment screw have a crimped cap similar to this image?

[​IMG]
  20. Bar None

Bar None OLD DUDE Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the same scooter also from https://www.megamotormadness.com/ice-bear-scooters

So far so good with only 300 km on her. Performance is good enough to keep up with local traffic. Speedometer reads 50 MPH while speedometer app on cell phone shows 47 MPH.

Also changed out the engine and rear gear oil and added a magnetic drain plug to the engine.

Haven't been able to register it because the tag office is closed so as was suggested carry a copy of the MSO and the bill of sale plus my insurance card in the under seat storage. So far no problem knock on wood.

Use a sheepskin for a seat cover/sun insulator. Fancy pansy foldable milk crate, cell phone holder, and trailer hitch are some minor mods. Also added some
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grip-Pipe-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 for my big hands.

20200327_152645.jpg 20200411_103450.jpg 20200413_171224.jpg

IMG_20200403_153324_01.jpg