Icefields Pkwy.? Any Better Routes to Jasper?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Boojum, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Boojum

Boojum I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer:
    :freaky I'm going to be in Banff (Lake Louise Area) and am going to do a day ride up towards Jasper, and back to the same area to camp that night. Is there a different route up that way that may be more "Picturesque" than the Icefields Pkwy.? Or is the Pkwy. a better route? I'm sure it would be a quicker one anyway.I'm sure I can't go wrong any way I go. Any Thoughts?
    Thanks in Advance!

Boojum!
    :freaky
  2. mtncrawler

mtncrawler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there a different route up that way that may be more "Picturesque" than the Icefields Pkwy.?

More "Picturesque" than IceFields parkway?? Tall order there for sure. It's really the only "direct" route. I've done the loop of Lake Louise/Golden/Radium Hot Springs/Banff (with some forest rd exploration out towards Mt Assinboine..) and that was quite nice.

Maybe some routes on the Northeast side of Icefields out through Saskatchewan (sp?) crossing?

I'm sure there's better info available from the gents up North. - lot's of pretty country. :D
  3. Boojum

Oddometer:
    Yep, That's what I was thinking as I typed the question :lol3 :lol3 I know it's an Awesome Ride up the Pkwy. however was just thinking maybe there was an out of the way road with no traffic. I'll probably do the Pkwy. anyway, just hope the traffic is not to bad. Thanks for the .02cents

Boojum!
  4. tango

tango Adventurer

Oddometer:
    there is only one way between Banff and Jasper so you don't have to worry about choice.Traffic is usually light esp if you avoid midday and bikes can just skip by in any case.MORE PICTURESQUE??? :rofl your killin' me :rofl Have fun. :freaky
  5. Boojum

Oddometer:
    OOOOOOK !!! Maybe Picturesque was the wrong word to use! :lol3 :lol3
    I had a feeling i would get the :whip Treatment on that one. :lol3 :lol3

Boojum!
  6. redseca2

redseca2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was in Banff Tuesday morning and just got back home to San Francisco last night on my GS. The Banff to Jasper ride combining Canada 1, Bow River Parkway and the Icefields Parkway is one of THE visually great rides of the world. This is not technical riding, just supperb scenary non-stop for 190 miles of sweeping curves. This was my second visit in two years and I did various combinations of rides for four days up and down between Jasper and Banff and all the side roads.

Always have your cold weather and rain gear with you, even for day trips. The mountains create their own weather, and one second it is blue skies and the next it is dropping below 40 degrees F and raining hard. So it's great to ride everything a couple times to catch all the moods.
  7. Boojum

Oddometer:
    Thanks Seca!
    I appreciate that info. I'll make sure to bring up the fleece for that part of the trip. Was it continuos rain, or just showers going on up there this time of year? I realize the Mtns. make there own weather at times, just hoping for some good conditions while in BC...........as we all do, right? Thanks Again Man!

Boojum!
  8. redseca2

redseca2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, it was pretty stationary weather fronts, not short-term thunderstorms. They have had a wet season this year, like most of the western edge of north america. Banff was drier than further north. The temperature always seems to drop when you get near "Icefields Center" where you can walk onto the glacier (I guess that's why the glacier is there and not in Florida).

That being said, I like the stormy weather, its much more dramatic, and the distances here are not so big, so you are seldom more than an hour from a hot bath.
  9. Rock_93

Rock_93 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The parkway is very a very nice trip but slowed with tourist during the summer. Don't forget to get a park pass or they will turn you around as you enter hwy 93.
    There is an alternate route but it is a lot longer and all gravel. If you want a real adventure take the forestry trunk road between Morely(on the 1-a East of Canmore) and Hinton it's a long ways between gas stations so make sure you have enough gas for about 300k.
  10. Boojum

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rock! I am planning on doing the Trunk Road as part of my route North to Banff. I WILL Fill Up before going off road. There is another off road section leading into Canmore (??something... Donnelson Trail??) If I'm doing this also, should i be taking an extra Gas Can with me? I don't have my maps with me here, but I believe it's a trail off the Trunk Road, and it branches off around a Lake Area. Anyone have any thoughts of this area/route. Should I get a Gas Can for this part?

Boojum!
  11. Billman

Billman Adventure Bound

Oddometer:
    If you are coming north from Lethbridge, I would take highway 22 rather than the forestry trunk road and meander to Banff as you get closer to the #1 highway. You could then take the Icefield parkway from Banff to Jasper and make a nice round trip back by going southbound on the trunk road then back to Banff via Saskatchewan Crossing(mind the strong winds). You should have enough gas to go 350km.
  12. gtcoop

gtcoop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i just came back from alaska and wanted to take a different way back so i took highway 40 from grande prairie to hinton(paved) then to nordegg(dirt) then to rockey mtn house(paved).....i don't think it's any faster but there is no traffic on the dirt and lots of wildlife...the dirt sections are good and about 70-80km/hr..hinton to nordegg is about 200kms for fuel...i liked it and it saved me $8 per day to get through jasper.
  13. Rock_93

Rock_93 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The road to Canmore is all part of the same road. In the North it starts on hwy 43 east of Grande Prairie and goes almost to the U.S. border if I remember right. It's been a long time since I have traveled on it so I can't tell you exactly how much gas you need but if you can't get 250 Km. out of your tank I would carry extra gas.