Iceland Star Grab

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by whereisgibson, Aug 15, 2014.

1. dave.m

dave.m n00b

Oddometer:
    That was a great report, Martin, and your trip looked superb. I think Iceland is going to be my next big trip. Thanks for posting.
  2. JoeBiker25

JoeBiker25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Superb writing, pics and videos!!!:clap
    Cheers!
  3. ata

ata expat in the jungle

Oddometer:
    awesome RR
    very entertaining

well done
  4. shaweetz

shaweetz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fabulous, thanks!
  5. Gregster

Gregster Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Excellent adventure :clap
  6. Schussboelie

Schussboelie Kicking up dirt

Oddometer:
    I guess I just foud next year's destination!
  7. Xenia

Xenia XT Adventure

Oddometer:
    Haha great memories Mr. Gibson ;) specially the "desert" crossing. Elegant as an elephant :freaky
    Was great meeting you! Hopefully see you soon somewhere else.
  8. Direktor

Direktor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice ride Martin!
  9. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    Absolutely breathtaking! Sent chills up my spine at times! Thanks for sharing!

:freaky
  10. yeuop

yeuop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i've been dreaming about Iceland for years, hope to be there someday!!
    it's a fantastic ride report, thank you!!
  11. whereisgibson

whereisgibson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello! Yes sadly I didn't catch you in Tanzania, though maybe next time. Drop me a note of your biking movements / when you're next both coming to London.
  12. Zeljko

Zeljko n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, great report !

Can you put your complete expense list, i.e. if you know it ?

I know that smyril line ferry is the most expensive part. The good thing is that they have exclusive offer called "MC offer" which is actually discount of 360 EUR if you stay for 2 days on Faroe islands.
  13. whereisgibson

Oddometer:
    Gosh I didn't keep active track of the costs, mostly because I'm as frugal as I can be (cheap!). I do factor around £100 per day to totally cover the cost of any trip, and I was away for 4 weeks. So that's about £3k and I would notice if I had exceeded that, including the ferry. There is a hidden cost of repairing your bike afterwards, certainly Iceland cost me an extra chain, sprockets, and set of tyres above what I would normally have consumed riding that mileage.

If I recall the cost of staying on the Faroes and time 'not being in Iceland' outweighed the discount, for me.
  14. potski

potski Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer:
    In Iceland at the moment with a convoy of 4x4's. The last time I was here was 21 years ago and I can't believe how much tourism has changed it; if anyone is thinking of coming, suggest doing it sooner rather than later!! Martin, tried to do the service track from Haifoss over to Gulfoss yesterday but it was still blocked with snow... and one of the river crossings was quite deep and fast.... you must have had fun getting your KTM across :-)

Cheers
    Potski
  15. whereisgibson

Oddometer:
    Potski I'd be very interested to see photos of the conditions - certainly that track this time last year was snow free! Have you seen many motorbikes in the interior?
  16. potski

potski Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hi Martin,

Only just got wifi and you have to pay, so this is a quick reply as we have loads of emails to do; will get back as soon as with photos etc.

Ride safe.

Cheers
    Potski
  17. potski

potski Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hi Martin,

Back home now in the warmth of the Pyrenean summer after a 7,500km round trip!!

Rather than putting numerous photos we took of the bikes etc we spotted whilst on the island on your ride report here, you can see them on my Potski photos link under Iceland 2015 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/potski-photos/albums/72157657535717756); maybe some of the riders are off ADV?

There were not very many bikes at all in the interior itself; as I remember a couple of KTM 990’s some DR 650’s and I got chatting to a Norwegian guy with a Transalp (which I was pleased about) who had done several tracks including the Kjolur 2 up! The black & white Super Ten was a UK bike we saw at Askja. There were lines of GS Adventures at the dock, but we didn’t see any at all in the interior :D

The track I mentioned that stopped us was the one from Haifoss waterfall over to Gullfoss number 332; there was deep and undermined hollow sections in the remaining snow on a north facing slope. It would have been possible with a bike no doubt, but with seven fully loaded 4x4’s we’d have gone through and possibly still been there :lol2 The river crossings to it were still deep in places and fairly fast moving too; did you push your bike across or chance the ride?

Actually, speaking to some locals, they said it had been the worst summer in 20 years, certainly when we were there way back in 1994 I don’t remember the weather being quite so cold and windy. Crossing the Sprengisandur this time it was impossible to put tents up, we kipped in the back of the Land Rover and others bunked up in the rangers hut. Actually, two cyclists were also sheltering in the hut having been rescued earlier that day suffering from hypothermia. But, although it was cold we didn’t have a great deal of rain which was a plus.

Whilst on, as I said it was a 7500 km round trip for us through France, Luxembourg, Belgium, Holland, Germany & Denmark, just to get to the ferry at Hirtshals. For anyone going up there we would suggest camping at Kjul Campsite http://www.kjulcamping.dk/english.php just outside Hirtshals itself. It’s got 400+sheltered pitches, in a lovely setting and the owner Michael couldn’t be more accommodating or helpful AND is bike friendly. In fact if you don’t fancy the long ride there to Hirtshals, you could put several bikes on a trailer (or in a van) drive up there and leave the trailer and car on the campsite for a small fee and then just take the bikes on the ferry.

I’ll put some more photos up to show the changes in Iceland in the last 20 years or so; still very much worth a trip though, in fact we will almost certainly be adding Iceland as a regular destination for our adventure tour business.

Cheers
    Potski
  18. whereisgibson

Oddometer:
  19. potski

potski Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer:

Hi Martin,
    Fantastic; will be following you on this one. Surprised how little snow there is about at present, though have a feeling that will change. As regards route 332 I believe a large 4x4 group dug their way through after us. Great footage from the drone; I'm desperate for one. Nice Land Cruiser; shame you haven't got another 4x4 with you in case of getting stuck.

Drive safe.

Cheers
    Potski
  20. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice to see you out adventuring again, Martin! Following the 4-wheeled trip, but really looking forward to your next jaunt on 2 wheels! Happy 2016!!