Icon Raiden DKR Review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Iliketogofast, May 27, 2017.

1. Iliketogofast

Iliketogofast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello again folks... another gear review for you!

I recently ordered and tried on both the KTM Defender Jacket(review under Jacket name if you want to look it up) and the DKR.

And let me just say... wow. The DKR just blew me away. I've tried out some way higher priced jackets before, and this thing really impressed me. The quality was just really nice. I had to send the one I ordered back to order one size smaller so I'll update this with more info when the new one comes in and I can take it out on the road.

Now onto the review!

First, fit -

I'm 6'2" and about 275 lbs. I'm a big guy. Most motorcycle gear is super tight in a XXL(I'm in between an XL and XXL in regular clothes), and I was expecting this to be a bit snug, but it actually wasn't at all. I had read it was big, but it REALLY is big. Not Euro cut at all, probably a bit oversized by normal standards. If I wasn't losing weight, I'd have kept this one, but after I lose another 20-30 lbs this one would have been like a tent on me. Essentially, if you want a slim/snug fit, probably order a size smaller.

Design/Finish -

The jacket just looks sharp! I wanted something a bit on the loud side as I like to make sure people see me on the road. My last two jackets have been black(hard to find gear that fits when you're 325lbs! Ha!) and I've had a couple close calls where people just didn't see me there, and I think the Glory really stands out. Plus it matches the paint scheme on my bike pretty well. The "red" on it is really more Orange(win for me) and the blue really pops. The white is more of a light silver color, which I think will be better for keeping it from getting stained. There's only a couple of strips of reflective material on the back, but the white/silver will almost glow in headlights. If you want a more subdued look, they have a grey/black monochrome series, and the tan/black also.

Function/quality -

The quality on this jacket, as I stated before, is just phenomenal. Especially considering it's sub-400 bucks, comes standard with D3O ce2(the higher rating) rated armor in elbows, shoulders, and back(Yes, back too!) and is water-proof(not just resistant) and comes with a liner for cooler weather. The armor is great, and I like how flexible it is. It is a bit heavy, but you have to sacrifice something for safety and function. Once you put the jacket on, the first thing you notice that's a bit out of place is the monkeys paw. It's not a complete PITA, but it could get a little annoying I'm sure. As I live in Texas, and it's hotter than the surface of the sun in the summer... I may cut it out. If you live in a colder climate, it'll be really great for keeping the cold out. I'd rather have the airflow up my sleeves in the summer.

Even though it's a substantial jacket, it actually was cooler than the much thinner and lighter KTM Defender Jacket when trying them on at the house. The zipped vents are placed in good places, on the chest, arm pits, and back. They seem like they will pull lots of air in, and keep it flowing, and still keep you protected in the process.

One thing I really liked that seems like a frivolous/trivial detail is the magnetic storm flap. It keeps out the wet, and unlike Velcro or buttons is super easy to open... speaking of, most of the pockets are YKK zippers and work very well, but there is also a front chest pocket that uses a super heavy duty ziploc like zipper. I really like it, and it seems to seal really well, so if you need to keep something like papers or your phone easy to grab, and keep it dry, it's perfect. Another thing I really liked was the interior pockets. There's a secure heavy duty inner chest pocket(there's also another waterproof one next to the main zipper) and two large "net" like pocketish pouches on either hip that would work great for keeping a ballcap or a towel handy and dry in your jacket.

Nits/issues -

Not very much. I think the main zipper is a bit sticky to get started, but I'm pretty sure that will get better with time once broken in, and if not... it's not too bad, just a bit tight to get started. The monkey paw thing. It's a bit annoying, but not enough to deter me from keeping it. Also, as much as I like the design, the ziploc like pocket worries me a little for longevity, as I can see this being a jacket to keep for 10-15 years. We shall see.

If you have any other questions I missed... please feel free to ask!

First pictures are with the liner in, later ones are without. This one fits just a tad loose, but overall very comfortable.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan Diego and docjekyll2002 like this.
  2. Iliketogofast

Oddometer:
    Finally got the new XL in, and I have to say I'm happy with it. It's a tiny bit snug, but as I'm losing weight still, it should be just about perfect in another month or two. With the liner in, it would be too snug to wear now... but thankfully it's summer, and by the time I need to anything insulated I'll be down another 30 lbs or so! Here are some pics for the fit. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

88Marine likes this.
  3. Iliketogofast

Oddometer:
    On the pics, the first three are with liner, the last three without. It's pretty thin(but still is noticeable fit and temp wise) so it's a bit hard to tell.

4. RRocket

RRocket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hard to believe it vents well enough for your climate with just those few vents.
  5. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    LOVE me some Raiden vids. :evil

Dan Diego likes this.
  6. Iliketogofast

Oddometer:
    Nothing protective is quite cool enough for the Texas heat in summer. This thing is as cool as my mesh summer sports style jacket though. I'll give it a good test this weekend, since it's going to be raining off and on and hot as hedes.

7. JoToPe

JoToPe JoToPe

Oddometer:
    I looked at the DKR line after it came out but had just recently bought a new BMG Adventure which I really like (I live in the Metromess and can commiserate with the Texas heat). Where did you order from and how much did it cost delivered to your house?

8. Iliketogofast

Oddometer:
    I ordered from Revzilla. Fast n free shipping on anything over 40 bucks, and this was 395. It's the same price everywhere. Not a bad price for what you get, and I was really impressed by the overall quality.

9. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    So do you have an after about a year update report? How has it been, stand up to use, in the heat, in the RAIN. etc. Still recommend?
  10. Iliketogofast

Oddometer:

Absolutely would recommend it! I think it’s even on sale now. I actually have the full set, and have put probably 15k miles on it... including a road trip from Austin, TX to South Dakota and Colorado last summer. The set has held up great! Now, it’s not cool... at all. But I have yet to see any true waterproof gear yet that is. I’d say below 85 it’s fine, above that it gets warm. Now, I don’t use it for a lot of low speed Woods stuff... honestly it would be overkill for that anyway.

As far as quality, I’ve had zero problems with the jacket or the pants. Melted a spot on the bottom of the pants, but that’s my fault for hanging my heels over the exhaust when I was riding(no Sheild on my 1290 SA-T)... other than that I’ve got nothing to complain about.

I’ve been through monsoon rains, and other than a drop or two that got in the pants zipper once when I didn’t notice it was open... completely water-tight. I haven’t had to test how well it’ll hold up in a crash... so no clue on that still... but I’d highly recommend the gear. Make sure it fits a bit baggy and you’ll get better air flow and stay much cooler. Any other questions let me know!
    JoToPe and elron like this.
  11. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks
    :wave
  12. Mad_Max

Mad_Max Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought all the DKR stuff about a two years ago now. The only complaint I have with all of it (boots, gloves, jacket and pants), is that they are not waterproof. If you’re in the rain for anything longer than a couple of hours, you will eventually get wet. The waterproof claim is from a fabric treatment that does wear out. I have tried the proper washes and re-treatment, but it doesn’t last. I was happy with the gear the first year I owned it, but after that my shoulders and crotch started getting wet. Last summer was a fairly wet one up here, and I got really tired of getting wet. The boots actually started filling with water! I bit the bullet and bought all gortex gear.

I did write Icon about the issue and considering the gear was only about a year old at the time I expected a bit of a better response from them. All I got from Icon was, we’re sorry for your issue, try reapplying a waterproof fabric treatment. For a garment with “Waterproof” badging I am rather disappointed.

For a casual rider, the quality and the price is good if you’re not worried about getting wet occasionally. Like I said, I was happy with the gear, but after a rather wet summer and constantly getting wet, even soaked, I was done!
    BobcatSig likes this.
  13. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid Doesn't Like Stuff

Oddometer:
    I haven't had an issue with the waterproofing on mine, nice and dry after each encounter with the rain. The waterproof zipper on the right breast pocket failed, so that pocket is no longer a great place to stash a phone. It does run large. I'm 6' and usually wear a large jacket and bought a large DKR. If I bought another I'd get a medium. I consider this a three season jacket. Great in cool temps but not quite enough flow for summer traffic or mid day heat.

For the price I think it is a great jacket. When I bought it I considered it a 4.5/5 star jacket. After the zipper failed and encountering the summer heat I'm going to drop it to a 4/5.

I bought new gear this year, moved back towards the sport touring realm v. ADV realm. If I were to need another ADV style jacket I'd consider the Icon again, especially since the newer ones have the more muted monochrome look.
  14. UB2SLO

UB2SLO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought the jacket, pants and boots when they first came out. 3 seasons ago?? I put 20,000 miles on in this gear. Overall rating 4 out 5. Still water proof after all those miles. Many week long trips wearing it all day every day.
    The jacket is definitely 3 season. I did wear it in the summer but it gets hot. I like to keep the jacket zipper down a few inches from full zipped and the final snap kept slapping against my helmet in the wind. So cut it off. And I had a small piece of velcro attached at the collar to hold it open to allow more air flow. Riding solo the jacket would then vent ok,ish. With my wife on it really cut back on the air flow. Same thing if you wear a hydro backpack. Otherwise the jacket is bullet proof. I had a small get off at 30mph on the pavement and it didn't wear through or tear. And it was still water proof. Sizes do run big. I'm 6'2" 200lbs and I would try a medium next time.

The pants have full zippers on the inseam. I wish there was some netting towards the top so that when you unzip a ways for air flow that my skivvies didn't show. I really like the suspenders. Especially for multiday trips. You can loosen the waist a little and still keep your pants up. That sounds like a old timer there but after a few days the dude adjuster starts 5o dig into your side. I had the pants repaired after the get off. The knee wore through the size of a quarter. I road in torrential down pours after that and stayed dry. I wear a 34 in inseam and the pants fit great when standing, but were short when seated. Allowing an updraft.

The boots were great for 10,000 miles. Then the interior padding moved or broke down. After an hour they were very uncomfortable around my ankles. It bruised after a couple days into a 10 day ride. I would pick something else.

Definitely a good choice.