Idaho Adventures!

Discussion in 'Americas' started by TigerDen, May 8, 2020.

1. TigerDen

TigerDen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Headed to Idaho for about a month mid to late June... ideas for riding, places to see, fun adventures? Going to jet boat Hell’s Canyon and then....? Some
    Camping and some BnBing. Trailering bikes but have a western central location to go out of too and a slide in camper and trailer. Dual sports and want to ride some pavement and some dirt to explore.
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    What type of riding? Straight dirt, dual sport, Adventure bike forest service/ logging roads, or pavement? You need to provide a wee bit more information if you want reasonably good answers.
  3. TigerDen

TigerDen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dual sport/adventure bike and forest roads and some pavement just to explore mostly. Have a 400DRZ and a 650GS
  4. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    There is a GPX in the first post of this Idaho report that you may be able to draw some POIs and paths from. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

[​IMG]
    thirsty 1, Colemanfu and TigerDen like this.
  5. AK2ID

AK2ID Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get the Butler Map for the best paved roads.

Other routes to consider...

- IDBDR, all or cherry-pick sections you like.
    - Magruder Corridor
    - Highway 12
    - Salmon River Scenic By-Way

For dirt routes, The Idaho Gazetteer actually is a good set of maps for the main forest roads.

The individual USFS maps for the various forests are also valuable with more detail.

trails.idaho.gov is an online map showing all USFS and BLM roads and trails (including detailed status as to when open, restrictions, etc.).

You will probably run into snow at higher elevations. Be aware that Idaho topography and vegetation varies quite a bit from high flat sage covered desert to the big timber in the north.

Have fun. Ride safe. Welcome to Idaho.
    wbbnm likes this.
  6. AK2ID

AK2ID Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know if you have visited Idaho/Montana before, but rural Idaho reminds me of the Colorado of my youth. As a reference, I grew up in the Springs and graduated in "76.
  7. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    We're going to Idaho as well. After 6 summers in CO and one in AK it's feel like planning an lunar landing. Good post!:thumbup
    But zero pavement, all dirt stoke with an emphasis on ST. Curious your plan of attack? We use 4th of July as a corner stone. This year Driggs and the Teton Balloon Fest so we'll pick a few potential riding spots before and after.

Hope more join in with some don't miss kind of Idaho stuff! :clap
    pratered likes this.
  8. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ID is just fantastic! A bud and I will be headed there in a few weeks and likely stay for several months, at least he will. I'm still sad about the Shoup Store closing; a mini hi point on any route thru there. Go have fun!
  9. TigerDen

TigerDen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you!!
  10. Graybush

Graybush I like turtles.

Oddometer:
    Magruder Corridor for sure.
    If you get the Idaho BDR tracks, there is one north of the Magruder called "Alt to Elk Meadows" that is a must do if you're in that area.
    Lochsa Lodge is a good place to spend the night once you finish Magruder and Elk Meadows.
    Close to Boise, Blacks Creek Road (dirt) is worth the ride for the scenery:
    VIRB0309-17-2.JPG
    Highway 21 south out of Lowman is a good ride.

Talking about it has me wanting to go back.
    pratered, Blaise W and 95Monster like this.
  11. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to keep informed of the Lockdown here in Idaho, out of staters are expected to go into a 14 day quarantine, many places have closed.
    check the Idaho website.
  12. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    only if you consider the 38 new patients on the fri as games. The same total the state had reported, when we cancelled our 39 th anniversary reservations in Hailey for March 12. This a response to the problems in North Idaho, having visitors from the locked down left coast states.
  13. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    there is a revised 19 response, just need to find where you fit in the formatt, saw that sun valley is reiopened but it was the first hotspot in Idaho, may want to pass on that area.
  14. AK2ID

AK2ID Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Simmer down Flashmo. Travel restrictions are to be lifted at the end of the month.

This thread is about riding Idaho. Anyone can go to the Idaho Corona Virus web-page and see that Idaho has a couple concentration areas, the greater Boise area and Sun Valley. Otherwise the concentration around the state is comparatively low. Just avoid or pass through the bad areas and play in the low density areas. Montana is similar. Avoid Misoula and Gallitin county or pass through and play in the rest.

No need to get political. Lets just help each other out and ride in peace.
    Glenn247 and Colemanfu like this.
  15. TigerDen

TigerDen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the good info!
  16. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    the gazetteer is at most truck stops also, abit big for the tank bag but a few folds ,you are there.
    thanks Akid, but not offended by Flash, many times read what I wrote and come to the same conclusion , the next day or hours later.
  17. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am leaving next week. Solo trip to Colorado via indirect route. Up California to Oregon coast, then head East across Oregon through Idaho into wyoming and dip down into Colorado. Routing mostly pavement with Butler map but happy with fire road diversions. I’m curious about getting from Alpine ID to smiths Ferry without going long road around. When I used google maps in bicycle mode It showed dirt passage across via Indian valley, Little wiser rd etc. what’s the local knowledge on that? I’ll be on a loaded big bike and want to keep it beautiful but simple.

Also interested in any local tips
    In Idaho I’m mostly East South East. Cambridge, alpine, Stanley, Bellevue, arco,, blackfoot, Montpelier and into Wyoming.
  18. AK2ID

AK2ID Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am not familiar with a more direct route from Alpine to Smith's Ferry. I ride a 1200GS but stick to pavement and use my 690 for local dirt (Salmon area). Check out trails.idaho.gov . It shows all trails/roads in different classes (single track, ATV, Jeep, auto) that are legally passable. What it doesn't show is snow, landslides and blow-downs. It has been a very wet spring with odd and violent winds so I am seeing lingering snow (above 8,000') and lots of downed trees. The good news is that the route from Cambridge over to Stanley and to Ketchum is very nice.

General comments for consideration on your travels...

First off, your trip should be great. Idaho is still cool, fresh and as pretty as it gets. When coming through OR, I really like Baker City. The historic Geiser Grand Hotel is very cool and comfortable. If you stay there, eat at the restaurant in the hotel. The section of 75 dropping into Cambridge is a very pleasant ride. There are sections from McCall down to Banks (55) where the rivers are just incredible. You will know them when you see them. Ketchum is very pretty. The real estate is grand. If you stay there, have breakfast at the Kneadery. Your route from Ketchum into Colo is efficient but not so special. I am not sure your destination in CO, how much time you have, or if you have ridden the state before. If you have some time, this is my advice to experience the best of CO. Take your Butler Map and mark the continental divide. Then look at the various passes that cross the divide. Then stitch together a route that crosses as many times as you have time. These high mountain passes in CO are the tallest in the country and very special. If you can, stay away from the front range. Stay off 70. The smaller east-west roads are much better on a bike.

Hope this gives you a few ideas. Have fun and ride safely.
  19. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great information. 1st time to ride Idaho. Denver is my initial destination in colrado. After visiting some family I begin part 2 which incorporates several passes.
  20. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]