Idaho BDR in mid June???

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by dbern, Mar 30, 2019.

1. dbern

dbern outsider

Oddometer:
    Hey all,
    I am traveling from back east and have noticed that you guys have been getting buried by snow this past winter and wondering if you think I will be able to do the BDR in mid June or not? I am going to do a river trip and hope to pull the trailer with the bikes and do the trip after. Wondering if its worth pulling the bikes or not???

Any information or opinions are appreciated...

D
  2. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think typically the Magruder Corridor opens in July sometime. I rode it in early August a few years back and it had only been open a couple weeks. I was in West Yellowstone 2 weeks ago and there were snowmobile machines everywhere. They had record snow in February as did we in Spokane.

You might ask in the Rockies section for more local info.
  3. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most of the high country is closed until after July 4. That doesn't mean you shouldn't bring your bike because there is lots of good riding at lower levels.
    BobcatSig and drmiller100 like this.
  4. HydroDog

HydroDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode it last year the first week of July and my fried and I were breaking snow in spots.
  5. dbern

dbern outsider

Oddometer:
    Ya I was afraid of that.... The good riding you speak of is all forest service roads that I could find with a gazetteer map?? With that said, what should I be looking to make sure I see if not able to do the BDR??
  6. Idarider

Idarider R1200GS

Oddometer:
    Which river will you be on? Knowing that will let everyone tell you areas closer to your water adventure.
    In June everything under 5000 ft will be open maybe higher depending on weather .
  7. dbern

dbern outsider

Oddometer:
    We are going to be on the Snake river through hells canyon. Take off the 15th...
  8. dbern

dbern outsider

Oddometer:
    With this in mind actually my next question is if anyone knows a good place I could park my trailer while we are the river?? Any help with this would be a huge help...
  9. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is a little hard to give you suggestions on rides until we see what the snow is like. There is good riding on both the Idaho and Oregon side of the river. Plus there are other canyons, like the Salmon and South Fork of the Clearwater that all have good riding. Stay in touch and we can give you suggestions as we get closer.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  10. oldmonkeybut

oldmonkeybut ATHLETIC Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI....New Meadows has 2 feet of snow on the ground still. McCall still has 4 feet. That was as of two days ago
  11. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Forest Flyer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The BEST stuff (my version of best) is just a tiny red line on a Benchmark, hardly confidence inspiring enough to travel on. Benchmark is a car traveler map, designed to show the main roads travel-able by car. It's neat to get that much info in one book, but it won't give you the kind of info that I usually seek when I'm out exploring, I need more definition than a Benchmark gives.

Pay the $8 and get a local fold-up map that shows the small roads well. I have many, many dozens from all the places I've been. There, you will find what you seek; BDR like stuff in so many places in Idaho besides the TouraTech BDR Route up through the middle.

Do like they do on TV, throw a dart at the map and GO!!
    That's how I discover the best stuff, not always going where lots of other riders went before me.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  12. IDRIDR

IDRIDR Take me to the River Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where do you want to park your trailer and we could probably find a member nearby? Boise could be an option.

As said above, snow is going to be an issue for the high country, but don't let that stop you. There's so much more to ride than the BDR.
  13. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riggins is an area kind of near you. East and south is Burgdorf - that country will mostly be open mid June. East and North is Dixie and Florence and Elk City. The McGruder will not be open mid June this year.
    Neither will the road between Warren and Yellowpine. Both typically open around July 4th.
    Drop me a line when you get closer. I'll be around up there somewhree.
  14. Idarider

Idarider R1200GS

Oddometer:
    The road from Whitebird (on the Salmon) to Pittsburgh landing( on the Snake) will be opened by then and you could spend a week riding to the east and west out towards Rice Creek on the Joseph Plain, a lot of us like to do a ride to Pittsburgh landing and back to Lewiston in the spring.
    Close to Whitebird would give you about five or six days of all day loops, more if you include a trip to Elk City.
    You could do the big loop from Whitebird to Riggins, Cambridge, Oxbow, Imnaha, Joseph, Lewiston and back to Whitebird. A lot of that can be dirt.
    I'M getting excited just writing about them.
  15. dbern

dbern outsider

Oddometer:
    I think anywhere around Boise would be awesome. Looks like we will go through there on our way to the put in. It would be a 12 foot enclosed trailer.
  16. dbern

dbern outsider

Oddometer:
    Any Inmates live around Boise that would have space we could stick a trailer for a few days while we are on the river??
  17. Idarider

Idarider R1200GS

Oddometer:
    Lots of room in my driveways in Lewiston .

Float to Lewiston and get a cab to my house:)
  18. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Me.
  19. AK2ID

AK2ID Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Data point:

Rode over Lost Trail Pass yesterday (East side of Idaho, 25 miles south of Darby, MT). The pass is 7,000 feet and there was about 4 - 5 feet of snow in the trees.
  20. dbern

dbern outsider

Oddometer:
    Well about month out... How we looking???