Idaho BDR on Big Bikes

Discussion in 'Americas' started by bbanker, May 27, 2020.

1. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So looking at this in September of 2020 if the 'Rona doesn't kill it. Has anybody here done it on bigger ADV bikes. 3 Africa Twin's and a 1200GSA.
  2. utefan

utefan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be watching this thread. Hoping to do the IDBDR this summe/fall on a 1290SAR. Riding partner/brother most likely on a 1200 GSA.
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Yes. No problem. Super Tenere

Hope you have a great trip.
    Migolito likes this.
  4. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s listed as one of the easier BDRs on the RideBDR site. I’m doing it on a F800GSA with friends on R1200GSA, F650GS and Africa Twin. I’ll be going before you and may do a ride report.
  5. Graybush

Graybush I like turtles.

Oddometer:
    No problem. There are some technical alternate sections but the main route is very easy. I did it on a rented 990, having never ridden a 990 until the day before I started the BDR. Only a couple of rocky sections but I would have no reservation doing the whole thing on my Tiger Explorer or any other big bike.
  6. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That would be awesome. I had zero problems on the MABDR with my AT. Thanks everybody.
    fjmartin likes this.
  7. Bill Dirt

Bill Dirt Trooper

Oddometer:
    What's the return track or are you getting on pavement when done?
  8. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Did it a couple years ago with a 650 VStrom. Didn't even have a bash plate.

:1drink
  9. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    My crew is going to ride from Porthill to the southern tip of Priest Lake and then we are going to ride the NW Passage route backwards which is kind of like a BDR route but going east/west. The route sorta ends near Skykomish, WA on Hwy 2. I live in the Seattle area. You can learn about the NW Passage route by searching NW Passage on bestrestproducts.com. He has tracks, itinerary and video available for free downloads. I’ve ridden it the regular direction and it was a lot of fun!
  10. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    cool area... rode about 1/2 of it and then in a moment of inattention... wife crashed her G650GS near Barber Flat Bridge... the route seemed pretty easy... desert to the mountains... will try it again in the next year or so

upload_2020-5-28_19-51-13.png

upload_2020-5-28_19-51-40.png
  11. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Booked on a Backcountry expedition BDR tour for July on GS 1200
    Should be a blast
    fjmartin likes this.
  12. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any ID locals know what the conditions are on the IDBDR now and then in about three weeks? Looks like we will be up there and wondering if the high country might be passable by late June.
  13. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    I'm also interested in this also as I'm supposed to start the BDR on June 22nd. I've been monitoring the BDR ARCGIS site:
    https://ridebdr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=c7e559fa199d448485a6e2e1e45e0f3d
    Turn on Snow Coverage layer to see snow. Open the legend to see the color depths.

I've been seeing the snow on the map slowly going away and right before I leave I'll put together re-routes around the snow. But first hand knowledge is always best!

When are you starting? Are you starting in Jarbidge?

There will be 4 of us. 1200GSA, G650GS, F800GSA and Africa Twin.

Joe
  14. Graybush

Graybush I like turtles.

Oddometer:
    Don't know if you've seen it, but there is a while thread on the IDBDR that may help you out.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/next-in-the-bdr-series-idbdr.935700/
  15. Blaise W

Oddometer:
    Good info. No definite date but leaving for ID in roughly 2.5 weeks, plus or minus. Two of us have a project or two finish, then we head out. Likely stage out of Twin Falls, then to Jarbridge, or intersect just above somewhere. KTM1290, and two Africa Twins. Magruder is always the issue and a few years ago we were across that on the second day of opening, mid July! There is one spot that doesn't get sun and a few locals went up there and plowed it out. The local forest service provided good info on the opening. We were on the way up on a different route from the BDR and it was closed, but by the time we made Canada and got back south, Magruder was open. Skyline, down south, was also blocked, and we found a go around, but that's another story. It was a trail of no return and we didn't know if it went anywhere.....but it did.
    fjmartin likes this.
  16. Blaise W

Oddometer:
    Joe, likely we will be starting pretty close to you, assuming we actually do the BDR, and that's the intent. We are just itching to get away and this ride is a good thing to do. I also have alternatives in Idaho and Montana (Best of Montana routes), and out goal is to just get away and do some riding. We are from 50ish to me at 72, and will likely choose to motel it if possible, but camp if need be. Depends on the weather. So nice to go light and not pack camping gear, especially on the big bikes! Later in the year we are doing the grand loop. Mex to Canada more or less on the CDR, then over and down the Pacific Crest route, all on the small bikes using the dirty sections.
    tommybelvedere likes this.
  17. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Our crew is all right around 50. Two of the folks have done this BDR before so that helps. We are planning to camp almost the whole time unless we get some really crappy weather so we'll be running a bit heavier with all our camp/cook gear. I'm going to do the WABDR in August but taking my CRF250L and going light! No BIG rides this year. Did the whole TAT last year and Alaska to Deadhorse and Tuk the year before along with late winter trips each year to Baja.

Have fun!
    Blaise W likes this.
  18. Chuck the ripper

Chuck the ripper n00b

Oddometer:
    Going solo from north to south (IDBDR) in July, looking to camp as much as possible. Would like to hear more before I head that way.
    Magile likes this.