Idaho BDR Starting at Section 2-Pine

Discussion in 'Americas' started by yrunvs, May 30, 2021.

1. yrunvs

yrunvs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My son and I are planning an adventure leaving July 3, Minnesota to Idaho to ride some of the BDR and back. We have 9 days total to do our adventure it will take 2.5 days each way (MN to ID) leaving 4 days to ride the BDR. We are thinking of starting where section 2 begins which is at Pine to Yellow Pine.
    My question is if we ride at a steady normal pace doing some but not to much stopping for sight seeing how far will the end of the 4th day on the BDR take us? Thanks for any advice or info.
    wbbnm likes this.
  2. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I tried to look back to see the time/miles we covered in the areas you described. Too many side trips for us to nail that down. I can offer you some information about the roads that might help you sort things out in that area. I'm not sure that it will answer your question but there may be some other useful information in that portion of the report. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you have a wonderful trip!
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We started at Pine. Here is where we made it for the next 5 days: Pine to Warm Lake, Warm Lake to Riggins, Riggins to Elk City, Elk City to Darby, Darby to Pierce.

We were riding KTM 690s and staying in motels and not riding fast. I can't remember any long unexpected delays.

We deviated rom the actual IBDR to the west after Warm Lake to go by Lake Cascade and thru McCall. This was a parallel path to the BDR with some pavement and so was faster.
  4. yrunvs

yrunvs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I was hoping that starting at Pine and ending at Darby would be our 4 full days adventure as ending in Darby sets us up for our ride back east. It sounds like Pine to Darby is 4 days.
  5. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're welcome. I remembered that the IBDR had an unacceptable amount of pavement between Riggins and Elk City, like over half the days ride.
    We made our own ad hoc route on dirt roads to the east of the paved segment heading south and then to the north of some of the paved section heading east.

PM me if you want tracks.
  6. shotty_co

shotty_co Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    From Pine, my buddy and I made it to the Blue Heaven cabin in 4 days last summer, (between Pierce and Wallace)and these weren’t extraordinarily long days. You could almost push to Wallace and jump on 90 to start heading back East in 4?

Wbbn above mentions intolerable amount of pavement? The only slabby section I remember is connecting the end of the Macgruder corridor to the beginning of the Lolo through MT. and it wasn’t intolerable but to each it’s own.

have a great ride!
  7. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Like @wbbnm I rerouted to get off the Hwy 14 paved stretch to Elk City and instead took a historic wagon road that turned out to be a great ride. The alternate was a fun section to ride with some historic stuff to take in along the way. Pretty common for people to customize these routes to suit their preferences. As I mentioned in the report, people's customizations are no criticism of the original route. There are so many options and eventually a mapper has to abandon some others to get down to a single primary route. :D (The original route is in grey.)
    [​IMG]
    eakins likes this.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    The ID G1 state map has a ton of alternatives and Benchmark has the full monty
  9. yrunvs

yrunvs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are there any updates to the riding conditions on the Idaho BDR this season?
    Migolito likes this.
  10. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    IDBDR Facebook page states snow is melting fast and those sections should open early this year.
  11. yrunvs

yrunvs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I don't do facebook and the BDR site doesnt have much other then a gas station closing. Are there any forest fires going on?
  12. shotty_co

shotty_co Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    check this for fire information : https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/

also, the BDR site has an excellent interactive map where you can add or remove layers to show fire activity, snow levels, weather etc.

good luck on your ride
    dino702 and ItsDoAble like this.
  13. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer: