Idaho/Montana Dual Sport

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Papa Big Cycle, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Papa Big Cycle

Papa Big Cycle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

Leaving on a last minute dual sport trip next week and looking for suggestions on fun areas in northern Idaho and western Montana. Love those long gravel roads and OHV areas.

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff
  2. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    In Idaho you can go almost anywhere point to point on mostly gravel or dirt.

The St Joe forest has some great gravel and dirt roads. For a single shot thru I would enter off I-90 at Superior, MT. Head south. Near Needle Peak it's about a 1000ft verticle drop down to the wilderness river part of the St Joe. Turn rt at Red Ives Ranger Station, over wahoo hill, left at Beaver Creek campground, nice long twisty hillclimb. At the T left dead ends on Surveyors Ridge, nice view into the Mallard Larkins and the Clearwater Forest. Turn rt at T and head for Roundtop Mt. So far very few tourists but may encounter a few from Mammoth Springs to Roundtop. From Roundtop bear west and south to Little North Fork of the Clearwater and/or Clarkia. It's a maze of roads near Roundtop. About 40 mi to Clarkia...dirt...empty...good scenery. Probably 120 miles total. Gas can be gotten at Avery. It you get totally lost most everything heads to the Joe which has a paved road. Motels at Wallace and St. Maries, St Regis and Superior.
    This is mostly a single road, ie. everyone stops and someone will have to back up.

Also check out the State Line Road near Ward Peak...a nice dirt road.

The Clearwater Forest is accessable from Superior. I've ridden a long way south into that area but don't know where I was. You might be able to access the Lolo Trail this way, another nice dirt road. Lolo needs a permit this year with all the Lewis & Clark stuff going on.

Uncle Dick
  3. Papa Big Cycle

Papa Big Cycle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. i will put this to good use.

Papa Big Cycle