Idaho, Washington BDR Summer 2021

Discussion in 'Americas' started by MTBRALPH, Dec 24, 2020.

1. MTBRALPH

MTBRALPH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays,

I am planning to ride either the Idaho and / or the Washington BDR this summer. My plan is to primitive camp most, if not all nights. I will be riding my 500EXC and carrying backpacking type camping gear. While I do want to make reasonable time, I also want to take time for photos and drone footage - not to mention exploring interesting looking trails along the route.

I would like to find one or a few compatible persons to share the trip (and carpool back to the start). Timeframe for the trip is open.

Ralph
    sm500-103.jpg
    Snake Oiler and offtheback like this.
  2. offtheback

offtheback Chocolate Starfish Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome loop. I did CO, ID and WA last year and it was a blast. You can tie some TAT and OR BDR to get to the start.
  3. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out BestRest Products and search for the northwest passage or NWP on their website to get GPX files, video link and description of a route that is like a BDR but goes West-East rather than South-North. They are free to download. The reason I mention it is it’s a route that connect just 3 miles from where the WABDR ends and goes to the east side of Priest Lake, Idaho making it easy to connect to the North end of the IDBDR. So makes a great connector for those two BDRs. I’ve ridden the NWP twice and really enjoyed it. Last summer I rode the WABDR, NWP and then the first 3 sections of the IDBDR before getting snowed out.
    ScotsFire, MTBRALPH and Snake Oiler like this.
  4. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Was going to make the same suggestion. Rode the NWP in August. Fun, fast flowing ride.
  5. wingtraveler

wingtraveler asphalt to dirt

Oddometer:
    i also am riding the IDBDR his mid july working south to north starting from glenns ferry i'm coming from upstate NY so i think the car pool is out maybe see you out on the trail safe riding
  6. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    See ya'll there
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  7. Xjhammer

Xjhammer Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to take on this trip sometime around September 4th. Coming from from the TAT, wherever it is that I am on it Probably Nevada. Going to meet 2-3 other riders.

We are all on KTM bikes. 1190R, 790R x2, and maybe an older KTM Adv bike. We will be camping and looking for good BBQ / Beer.

More Details to follow.
    Migolito likes this.
  8. carbonjunky

carbonjunky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hey Ralph , I was wanting to do a loop including the idaho bdr and washington bdr , hauling my bike from atlanta , Ga. in my truck to a friend of mind who lives in idaho and strart from there and return there. pm. me if you would like to discuss more.
  9. J4465

J4465 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm also planning on the IDBDR, and also coming from Upstate NY. (Although I have a different trip planned in July, so I'm going in August) I'd love to pick your brain if you were willing, as I am currently working on logistics such as bike shipment, where to start from to go south to North etc.

I'll watch this thread, since if it is possible to see everyone on the trail that would be awesome.
  10. 10_4adv

10_4adv n00b

Oddometer:
    I plan on doing the idaho BDR in August of 2021. Trailering out from Richmond VA.
  11. NevadaNick

NevadaNick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Starting North Central Nevada, Parts of Oregon BDR, then Wa BDR and possible return on Id BDR. Mid July.
  12. MTBRALPH

MTBRALPH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well......It seems my plans have changed. The logistics of carrying camping equipment for this long of a trip on the 500, resupply and return to my truck have caused me to rethink my plans for this summer. I really want to take time for photography and drone video on my trip. I have decided to take the 1290 SAS and make a loop - leaving North Carolina the second week of July, spending a few days in New Mexico visiting friends, then continuing to Oregon and Washington and east near the border.
    A second motive for the trip is to look for a place to relocate - it's time to move back out west.
    ScotsFire likes this.
  13. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Don’t take the ID or WABDR’s off your itinerary. Both doable on your 1290. Maybe skip some of the expert sections, but otherwise you’ll eat it up.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  14. professorkx

professorkx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree on the 1290 being more than capable. I rode my wife on the back of my Triumph 800 on all of the norther IDBDR, as it's close to us so easy access. Not a lot of challenging trail except the Lolo motor highway because of the rocks, but cleared it with ease. The Magruder Corridor is also a lot easier than I would have thought, and we've ridden it a number of times. Just have enough fuel for the 119 miles between fuel access.

Looks like I will be riding alone in 2020 because of medical issue for my wife, and I was thinking of doing both the IDBDR and WABDR on my KTM 1090 this year. Wouldn't mind getting hooked up with others. I just need to get my two new artificial knees into riding shape, so mid summer is my target. If I don't get hooked up with anyone, I'll just ride it alone...
    Snake Oiler and ScotsFire like this.
  15. carbonjunky

carbonjunky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guy , you still planning this trip , would you consider adding the wabdr to it to make a loop back to your truck , that is what I was planning and have a safe place to park the truck and trailer in Idaho. p.m. me if you are interested in a fellow rider joining you.
  16. Linejumper

Linejumper Technical Turmoil

Oddometer:
    I'm headed out mid August to ride part the IDBDR on a WR250R . Not sure where I will park yet . Would like to start at Glenns Ferry as well . Bringing my bike out on the back of my Nissan NV2500 high top . I'm an experienced single track rider on my first adventure trip out west . I will eventually build a large AD bike,..but man its hard for an enduro racer to convert . I almost pulled the trigger on a KTM 500 just to meet half way in the middle,... but the Maint schedules are too stupid . I wanna ride , I don't want the bike dictating my every moment of freedom ! Can't wait to see those mountains . Would like to meet up with a group or single rider .
  17. Linejumper

Linejumper Technical Turmoil

Oddometer:
    Are you still riding the IDBDR in August ? If so what dates you riding ? I'm headed out from Ohio .
  18. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    IDBDR group of 3 starting September 3rd from Glenns Ferry
  19. Lost-Again

Lost-Again Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So…. to bring this back to life. Another group of 3 headed out in August. Meeting brother-in-law in Wallace so will be backtracking to Canadian border then heading South.
  20. ScotsFire

Oddometer:
    Check for fires before you head out. As of today there are fires north of Kellogg and east of Avery. Not sure if the closures caused by these will impact the BDR route, but the fires are still growing. Also a large fire near Lolo Pass which is impacting the route per the IDBDR web site.
    Lost-Again likes this.