IDBDR - 2015 (Strega, Fakename, Fabless, CiD)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Strega, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Strega

Strega Black is a color

Oddometer:
    IDBDR - 2015
    (Part 1 of 3)

The misfits on this ride as follows:

We're color Coordinated here, hope you can follow along!

1. Strega, creator of WhereAmIRiding.com, though you may know him as the "Man in Black", and fresh off a KTM 690 Rally build.
    2. The infamous FakeName, riding a KTM 990 Adventure with aux tank, is a photographer extraordinaire, off-road enthusiast, and all around good guy with solid bike skills. He sings on the radio quite often.
    3. Our granddad, Covered in Dust, riding a KTM 950 Super Enduro with a Safari Tank, who provided moral support, bucket of laughs, a credit card, and the Pez. (We'll get to that a little later.)
    4. The Doctor, 'Fabless', riding a KTM 690 Enduro R with Rally Raid tanks, is the man who gets up and runs 10 miles in the morning before I even wake up, and is ready to tackle the day and has never once complained about anything, ever. He really is a doctor, seriously.

Strega: Now that you know who's who. Let's get on to this thing. I know all you want to see are the photos of the ride., so I'll try to keep the chatter to a minimum.

This is the Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route (IDBDR) by Butler Maps

Day -1: Loading up a day early for the trip, June 21st - San Diego, CA

[​IMG]
    Photo by: Fabless

[​IMG]

CiD: This was the best thing I did to my bike in preparing for the ride. The Seat Concepts seat rocks. Thanks Strega and Lendon for hooking me up.
    [​IMG]
    Photo By: CiD

Day 0: 4am roll call, June 22nd - Driving day (12 hours to Ruby Valley NV)

[​IMG]

Strega: Arrived in Ruby Valley at our family friends ranch, showing them our route:
    [​IMG]

Strega: The Ranch Hands =)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Photo by: Fakename

More from Sun evening:

[​IMG]

Fakename: Strega demonstrates star and Space Station tracking on the iPhone to the three little cowboys :)
    [​IMG]

Day 1 - Ruby Valley to Jarbidge via Deeth
    Strega: High speed and easy. Scenic and fun! Jarbidge didn't have a working gas pump during the day (vapor lock) so need to get it in the morning. They open at 8. 140 miles today. Gentleman at the south end of town offered to sell us gas that night and we took the opportunity to do so.

Fabless: Our 7:45AM departure from Ruby Valley gave a glimpse of the early morning routine of farm life.
    [​IMG]

Fabless: Spent a few weeks getting the bike ready. Had to troubleshoot an intermittent stalling issue that turned out to be a bad fuel pump (the second one on this bike).
    [​IMG]

Fabless: Headed south to CCC (Civilian Conservation Corp road) and cut east to the other side of the valley on a tip from our host Walter. I hadn’t expected this first section to be as beautiful as it was in the dawn light, with the fog-shrouded mountains on our left.
    [​IMG]

CiD: I really loved the wide open spaces out of Ruby Valley:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Strega: South of Jarbidge with the Butler Map:
    [​IMG]

CiD: Butler did and awesome job putting this route together
    [​IMG]

CiD: The roads coming into Jarbidge were full bloom
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

CiD: I really love seeing miles and miles of trails open up before us.
    [​IMG]

Strega:
    [​IMG]

Fakename: High speed and easy- except if you’re a badger, minding its own business, who came to an early end bifurcated by a 990 at speed. The good news is the badger probably didn’t notice and I felt a minor bumpbump. A bit dusty, making comms intermittent.

Fakename: Northern Nevada or southern Idaho.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Navigation by Panasonic Tough Book (yes I know the screen is cracked)
    [​IMG]
    Photo by: Strega

Fabless: The orange Pelican case at the rear of my bike holds my SLR, for photos like these. Might seem an excess but I’ve never regretted bringing it along. For the first couple days of this ride, Fakename would periodically and generously share his unsolicited views with me about the likelihood of the case parting ways with my bike somewhere along the trail. Notwithstanding his expert assessment, the case remained securely attached for the duration… unlike some of his luggage.

Fakename: Fine. Next time I’ll express no concern about anything. Fine. And it wasn't my fault, the buckles broke. Who’d have thought?

Fabless: Riding north along the valley was fast. Flying through a two-track section, I dodge a dead badger the size of a bulldog that it turns out Fakename had moments earlier brutally cut down in the the prime of its life.

Fakename: It was suicide! Damn thing ran right under the front wheel! I’m without blame here.

Fabless: The 690 was running the smoothest it ever had since I bought it. To be finally underway after preparing frenetically for the past several weeks was to feel freedom.

Fabless: Fast straightaways soon gave way to winding roads climbing into the hills, and we stopped to take a short break. Ruby Valley sits at an elevation of 6000 ft, and this photo was taken around 6500.

[​IMG]

Fabless: Flower fields, brilliantly lit, lined our path. All that was missing was Julie Andrews. Sadly we were subjected to fellow riders abusing the radio waves with their own renditions.

Fakename: What a beautiful motorcycle. Stunning, I’d say. And look, the tailbag is still on it, all four buckles intact.

[​IMG]

Fabless: Took advantage of our short first dday to try a fun diversion, exploring a side-trail with some steep, slightly rocky climbs at an elevation of 8000 ft. I would have loved to continue on this way. Here we have a rare sighting of Chris standing while riding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fabless: Weather felt perfect for riding, though a bit warm when stopped in the sun. Made it to Jarbidge at ~2PM local time. Not many lodging or dining options here, though they were better than camping with the gear and food that we were packing for this trip.

After lunch, did a short ride south of town to check out an abandoned mine on one of the many dirt side roads.

[​IMG]

Fabless: Here’s the path leading up to the abandoned mine; the road into Jarbidge can be seen in the background.
    [​IMG]

Fabless: Quirky town with quirky residents, all of whom seemed to have been living in this place for decades.

CiD: Jarbidge is an interesting town. Try not to miss " Happy Hour at the town store"
    [​IMG]

Day 2 - Jarbidge to Lowman via Pine
    Excellent easy riding, long stretches of open road. Saw an F-22 with F-15 in chase. Glenn's Ferry for breakfast at Hansons Cafe. Toughest part of the ride was the hill climb before you drop down into Lowman. That's rather slow going so prepare accordingly. Rutted but not too steep just have to stay on it. Haven Hot Springs was GREAT, and the cook Marla is fantastic, this is a MUST stop. 275 miles.

Fabless: Our group generally likes prompt, early starts (though there will usually be some whinging the evening prior), and we had a long day ahead, so were moving by 7AM. The route leaving Jarbidge winds along a nice canyon stream, then climbs out of a beautiful gorge onto high plains. We were now in Idaho proper.
    [​IMG]

Strega:
    [​IMG]

Fabless: Coming down from the plains, we rode through an area being used by the USAF for jet fighter testing and were treated to our own private Idaho airshow.
    [​IMG]

CiD: The road out of Jarbidge soon opened up to a smooth high speed run.
    [​IMG]

Fabless: Shortly thereafter, we descended into Glenns Ferry for breakfast.
    [​IMG]

Fabless: A scene dropping into Anderson Ranch Reservoir north of Glenns Ferry:
    [​IMG]

Fakename: Dam good site for a photo
    [​IMG]

Fabless: The winding roads around this reservoir offered lots of views but we agreed that the surface was squirrelly and not all that fun to corner on.
    [​IMG]

CiD: Great ride along Anderson Ranch reservoir:
    [​IMG]

Fabless: Back into the mountains:
    [​IMG]

Fabless: Our tracks through the mountain portions of this trip were frequently bordered by steep drop-offs and offered numerous opportunities to practice sharp turns on off-cambered dirt, a great workout for one’s riding skills. Coming down the side of one mountain we encountered a series of tight switchbacks carved into loose soil, and I had a slow-speed wipeout during one, bruising my foot.

[​IMG]

CiD: There was almost always a cool stream to stop at along the route:
    [​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

CiD: Got to love a state that sets aside trails just for bikes and small 4 wheelers:
    [​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

Fabless: At Lowman, we stayed at the aptly-named Hot Springs Haven; geothermals rise to the ground surface on the other side of the stream running through town.
    [​IMG]

Fabless: Our rooms had private hot spring baths, a soothing way to end a long day’s ride though the practically scalding temperatures needed to be cut with a constant flow of cold water.

Fakename: Haven Hot Springs is an odd place- exactly the kind one wants to find on a journey like this. Funky, scabbed-on, but clean and comfortable. Private hot springs soaking pools (cast concrete in the ground painted a lovely aqua) outside the door of every room. But watch out- as we were warned, the water is over 148f degrees (that’s 64.4C if you’re Fabless) (or 337.594 Kelvin) is enough to flay you alive. Add cold water from the hose until acceptable. Took me 15 minutes, and I like a hot tub.

Fakename: Haven’s hostess is Marla, and if you’re over 45-ish, she’s a dream. Accomplished, well-traveled, charming and talented. Best Chicken-Fried steak I’ve ever had- nice and crispy outside, tender inside and the crisp holds up to the gravy. Splendid.)

Fakename: There’s a swimming pool that’s fed by the hot springs, I suspect is spectacular in the winter, and visually splendid in the summer. Again, this is no Marriott- stained plaster, screeching pump and a dead fox on a pike keeps lookout. Loved this place.

[​IMG]

Fakename: Time for a map check
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 3 - Lowman to Riggins via Yellow Pine
    Brisk pace to Yellow Pine from Lowman after a great breakfast (Chicken Fried Steak and Biscuits and Gravy were AWESOME). The road the up the mountain was narrow but fun. Lots of pine cones, deer, and jumps that someone put in for us. The downhill to the water crossing was easy and water level was about up to the foot pegs. Yellow Pine was interesting...got yelled at to 'slow down' while I was doing under 10 mph as the sign stated. Ride REALLY slow there. Gas was by the store and we had lunch next door at the Tavern. After Yellow pine the dirt road along the river was great with some closed in forest roads. Headed down the road by the Abrupt Edge sign as seen in the IBDR movie. My bike started to develop some weird issues (fan stopped working, right tank boiling over, and throttle response got worse and worse) and we limped into Burgdorf to try and resolve the issue. After a bunch of troubleshooting we discovered it was a bad injector. We swapped it out with a new one and problem solved. Took about 80 min to get down to Riggins and by then it was 7:30. We decided it was too late to try and make it to Elk City do we got a room at the Salmon Rapids Lodge which was really nice. If you stay there get a river view. Burgdorf would have been the ideal place to stay and into Riggins for gas and over to Dixie the next day.

Fakename: Bunch of troubleshooting? Nah! You checked the air filter, but Dr. Fabless nailed it with the fuel injector diagnosis. Not only nailed the cause, but offered the solution- a new injector carried just for that reason! Saved the day- possible the trip.

Fakename: Burgdorf Hot Springs another interesting place, but we didn’t hang around long enough to appreciate it. Rustic cabins- bring your own sleeping bags, etc.

Fabless: Bruised foot was feeling better in the morning, so I ran out to Kirkham Ridge trail, two-track leading into the hills above Lowman. This would be a fun path to take on the 690 and I would certainly do so given the time.
    [​IMG]

Fabless: We manage to get a real breakfast at 7 thanks to Marla’s kindness, and got rolling by 8:30 or so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fakename: There are abrupt edges all throughout the IDBDR. Get comfortable with them as quickly as possible
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fakename: Made it to Riggins and beer
    [​IMG]

Fakename: Kindness, and we did add a significant incentive to the final tab- it was my turn to pay and it was worth her while.

Fabless: She did remark on you being tall and sexy, as I recall.

[​IMG]

Fabless: Lots of scenic mountain dirt roads today leading to Yellow Pine
    [​IMG]

Fabless: Taking a break along Deadwood Reservoir.
    [​IMG]

Fabless: Lunch in Yellow Pine, chatting it up with curious locals:
    [​IMG]

Fabless: Shortly after departing our lunch stop, Strega’s bike began to bog at low throttle and balk throughout throttle range. We could tell there was a problem from the piss and vinegar coming over the radio. Started out thinking it was vapor lock, as the bike was running hot, the weather was hot, and the radiator fan did not seem to be kicking on. Tried waiting for the bike to cool down, and Fakename hardwired the fan to run constantly.

[​IMG]

Fabless: Cooling the bike had no discernable effect, and the engine continued firing irregularly and loudly, yet without popping on acceleration (which seemed to point away from fuel starvation). The next theory was a clogged air filter, a hypothesis we quickly falsified at the turn-off to Burgdorf by removing the air filter.

Fabless: With air problems crossed off the list and electrical looking unlikely, the next thing to try was to replace the fuel injector, and it so happens that I was packing a spare for just this occasion. With only a short hop to lodging at Burgdorf, the team limped over to check on the possibility of reservations to hedge the success of our repairs. Replacing the injector is a <20 minute procedure I&#8217;m familiar with.

Fabless: Here, Fakename helps Strega remove the tanks and airbox to gain access to the throttle body.

[​IMG]

Fabless: With the new part in place and fingers crossed, Strega fired up the bike and was immediately rewarded with a smooth, clean throttle response, confirmed by a quick test ride around the parking lot. Fist pumps and bumps all around, combined with a huge sense of relief. From the time we pulled into Burdorf for repairs, to wheels rolling again took just under an hour. Hard to describe the feeling of successfully diagnosing and pulling off a technical field repair in the middle of a ride.

Fakename: Gotta say- earlier in the ride when Curtis mentioned he was packing a spare injector and fuel pump, I thought he was overpacking. My opinion quickly changed when Strega&#8217;s bike fired up and saved a significant portion of our trip. Well done, sir. Well done.

Fabless: You know, it really helps to have people to bounce ideas off and run through the clues together. And although I&#8217;m sure you&#8217;d deny it strenuously and take it poorly, my view is that on bike-related matters you think much like a good engineer, and have a knack for fixes. I woulda just let the bike cool off and wouldn&#8217;t have necessarily thought about hardwiring the fan, for example.

Fabless: It was already 5:30 so our navigators decided to head for Riggins and figure out lodging options there.

[​IMG]

Fabless: There&#8217;s some perfect asphalt running along the Salmon River into Riggins, freshly laid without a center line, like a race track. After a day of riding dirt, it felt like my bike was on rails moving down that road.

Fabless: Checked in by 8PM and off to a well-earned, late dinner by 8:45. 270 miles for the day.

Day 4 - Riggins to Dixie via Elk City
    Woke up to a pool of fuel under my bike. Will investigate after breakfast at Cattlemans. Decided to ride the bike as fuel wasn't leaking much while riding (or so I thought). Up and over the hill NE of Riggins and down towards Elk City. Had a great lunch there at the Saloon and got some gas. I put in a gallon more than the other 690 in the group and knew I was leaking fuel at a rapid rate. Decided to head south down to Dixie to stay at Silver Spur Outfitters and investigate my fuel issue again there. Pulled in and started stripping the bike down again to look at the injector. Fabless: (We cycled ignition and immediately saw fuel emerging from the injector. Which was not the case when we were testing yesterday.) Saw the o-ring on the injector was cut 90% of the way through so we carefully removed the old o-ring and put it on the new injector. Bike started right up and hoping tomorrow is better mechanically speaking. This lodge is awesome, has wifi, food is fantastic and the people are GREAT. This is a MUST stay spot for you IDBDR travelers.

Fabless: View of Riggins captured on the morning run:
    [​IMG]

Fabless: Strega&#8217;s bike was leaking a bit of fuel, we discovered in the morning. We would have to debug this later. The group decided on a late start/short day to Dixie.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fakename: Typical Fabless sighting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fabless: Very nice wooded roads today,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fabless: With a brief stop at the Florence cemetery:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fabless: For some details on the Chinese miners of Florence, see
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsm91_055709.pdf

Fakename: No, this is not the Silver Spur

[​IMG]

Fakename: Nor this

[​IMG]

Fakename: This either

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fakename: Dixie and the Silver Spur Silver Spur Lodge are a detour off the IDBDR route, but well worth it if you&#8217;re not the camping type and I&#8217;m certainly not. Interesting town, gracious hosts and comfortable place with excellent food. We did cut a bit off the Magruder Corridor by staying there. If you&#8217;re fussy about such things, you can ride back up the road to the beginning of the track, but you&#8217;re not really missing much. This is a hunting lodge- bear, deer, elk etc. I&#8217;m not much for hunting, but there was a guy there who hunted bear with a revolver. I suppose it&#8217;s better (for the hunter) than using a Swiss Army Knife, but I think I&#8217;d do so from the safety of a very long and large caliber rifle.

Fabless: Just let us know when this happens so we can keep a safe distance.

Fabless: We had to take an alternate route to get around some deadfall. Probably should have brought a portable saw. Arrived in Dixie at 4PM and were very pleasantly surprised by the quality and hospitality of the Silver Spur Lodge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fabless: Worked with Strega to troubleshoot the fuel leak, and it turned out that I&#8217;d torn the O-ring when putting the new fuel injector into the mount. Interestingly the problem didn&#8217;t show up until somewhere down the road after our initial repair.

[​IMG]

Fabless: Luckily we had the O-ring from the clogged injector and this time I applied some lubricant before inserting, with success&#8230; ;-)

The crew sits down for dinner with Jack and Renè, a couple other guests at the lodge:

[​IMG]

...to be continued
    95Monster and GF-kam like this.
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! :clap Thanks for sharing all these lovely pics!

:lurk
  3. The Oracle

The Oracle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So cool. The pics are awesome, per usual with PMB on board. Looking forward to more pics.
  4. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    awesome pics!

it sure looks like a great ride.
  5. bikeslut

bikeslut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures, and write-up...not too wordy
  6. DualDude450

DualDude450 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Holy Guacamole! What an Adventure! Roger, Paul, Chris & Curtis you guys rocked it! Very impressive pics and write up...Favorite parts were: Day1- Julie Andrews - really?! Ha! Day2 - "Dam good site for a photo." - Ha! Day3 - Curtis carries the "goods" - a spare fuel injector/fuel pump...hero! Day4 - the comment on carrying a portable saw...what would you carry? Great work guys! Thanks for sharing...
  7. BAGSTR

BAGSTR One Project a Day

Oddometer:
    Your timing was " Just In Time" , as the fire hazard is shutting down areas of the forest up north.

Congratulations Gents
  8. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pics and report!
    Thanks for putting it together.
  9. kkug

kkug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WOW great report and photography ! I saw that I was their in spirit !

"KUG"
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Awesome! :clap
  11. motowest

motowest Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So far, so good! This area looks like great riding!
  12. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    Great pics and storytelling. Keep posting :thumb
  13. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in ! :freaky
  14. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
    Great RR.
  15. Av8rPaul

Av8rPaul Have bike will travel

Oddometer:
    Wonderful report gentlemen. I'm hooked!
  16. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    Good Stuff......keep it coming.....:clap:freaky
  17. NorWis

NorWis No longer a "Wanna Be"

Oddometer:
    Nicely done! Hoping to do this trip in the future! :clap

Todd
  18. OldtimerTC

OldtimerTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clapAwesome RR and Pictures. You guys are animals.
  19. F.P.

F.P. Clown who is sick

Oddometer:
    STOKED!
    Leaving for the IDBDR July 18th.
    FP
  20. Strega

Strega Black is a color

Oddometer:
    Make sure you do some research on the areas that may be closed due to fires :\