IDBDR - 2015 (Strega, Fakename, Fabless, CiD)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Strega, Jul 8, 2015.

1. F.P.

F.P. Clown who is sick

Oddometer:
    Good advice, thanks!
    Right now I am planning on a solo run, might pick up 1 rider. South to North.
    FP
  2. TripleDubYa

TripleDubYa Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer:
    Leaving tomorrow to start the IDBDR. We've had a nice cool down the last few days which should make the riding way more comfortable.
  3. Afry

Afry Why hike?

Oddometer:
    Great stuff! The only guys I know that can cross this part of the country without camping :rofl
  4. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer:
    What's camping?
  5. Strega

Strega Black is a color

Oddometer:
    Day 5 - Dixie to Lolo via Magruder Corridor
    Easy riding from Dixie up to the Burnt Knob Lookout entrance road, and a high intermediate difficulty trail up to the top for big bikes. Definitely not recommended for riders not confident on rocky uphill climbs. The lookout and the view of the three lakes was fantastic. More easy but scenic riding from Burnt Knob across the remainder of the Magruder to Darby where we got fuel and an ice cream cone. Magruder was VERY dusty. We're a day behind schedule due to my mechanical issues and the long days that I planned are just too long. 4 days (from Jarbidge) is just too aggressive, 5-6 would have been a much better plan. Going to have to be a shorter day again tomorrow as we can't find accommodations in Wallace so we will have to stay in Pierce. This is going to make the day after a 344 mi day from Pierce to the Canadian border. Might have to eat some pavement to make that happen.

Fakename: I had the biggest, heaviest and baddest-assed bike (puffs/thumps chest) on the trip, and the Burnt Knob Lookout was a reasonably challenging rocky uphill. I arrived quite proud of myself for blasting up without a footdab anywhere. I was less proud that I arrived without my Kriega US20 that was mounted as my tailbag and had all my clothes, iPad, etc.

The big question: Did I lose it on the uphill, or 20 miles earlier?

The good news was my SPOT device was attached to it, and I could use the DeLorme to sat text buddies at home to send the last tracking coordinates, which could lead us to my bag. Even better news was Chris’ positive attitude that we’d find it on the climb- which we did.

Here’s a tip: Do not rely on the Kriega’s four-strap attachment system off-road. All four buckles failed- the center bar broke out- of each one. Four RokStraps (thanks, Chris) resolved the problem.)

[​IMG]
    Photo by: Fakename

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Photo by: Fabless

Fabless: From Dixie, we rode up to Burnt Knob lookout, a rocky, somewhat steep climb that offered a nice 270-degree vista.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fabless: Upon arriving at the top, Fakename made the unpleasant discovery that his rear bag had fallen off somewhere on the trail. Luckily Chris found it not far down the trail once we descended.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fabless: From here we would enter the Magruder Corridor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fabless: Temperatures had risen since the beginning of our journey and we sought relief a couple different ways:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ice cream in Darby, it was HOT:
    [​IMG]

Fabless: Arrived in Lolo Hot Springs shortly afterwards.
    [​IMG]

CiD: Sights like this always bring a smile to my face.
    [​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

CiD: Stream crossings are always tricky when you don't know how deep the water is or what the bottom is like.
    [​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

CiD: I named this Indian Rock. Not sure if there is an actual name for it.
    [​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

CiD: Most of the time the passes are closed until around July 4th, but with the heat wave this was about the only snow we saw.
    [​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

CiD: I really like snakes and try and stop and take pictures and help them off the road whenever I see one. Not sure what kind this is but he was not very friendly and struck at me twice so I left him to his own wanderings.
    [​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

CiD: Lots of cool bridge crossings on the route.
    [​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

CiD: Love this bike.
    [​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

[​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

CiD: The Man at Burnt Knob Lookout:
    [​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

CiD: Somethings are better left unexplained:
    [​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

Day 6: Lolo Hot Springs to Pierce via Lochsa
    Strega: The alternate dirt road on the south side of Lolo to Lochsa should not be labeled 'optional'. It was a great fire road that turns up into a two track through the trees with great views. Plan accordingly so you can make this section as it is awesome. Having breakfast here in Lochsa and on to Lolo next. Lolo was much more scenic than the Magruder and we really enjoyed it. Very dusty so we had to spread out a lot. Got into Pierce and got checked in and dinner across the street.

Fakename: That section was one of my favorites of the trip, which brings the point- if you like wide, gravelly fire roads, IDBDR is the ride for you. The route has hundreds of miles of them. This is good- makes it easy for bigger bikes and less-experienced riders to enjoy the route. But it also can get a little tiresome. The “optional” is scenic and fun, a good break from the gravel/hardpack- don’t miss it. Skip something else to make up your time if necessary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    iPhoto by Fabless

If you fall down, you get the ‘Pez’:
    [​IMG]
    Photo by: Strega

Fabless: The ride out of Lolo Hot Springs involved backtracking to dirt.
    [​IMG]

Fabless: The first 91 miles of the day’s riding took us to Lochsa where we had breakfast. This section contained some of the best riding of the trip, with a mix of close-in forest and vistas along a two-track path that threw ruts and rocks at us with regularity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fabless: In the afternoon, coming around a blind curve at 25mph, I found Fakename parked and taking a break. In my haste to stop, my front end washed out. As I lifted the bike, fuel was flooding out and I looked down to find the following:

[​IMG]

Fabless: Shortly after I’d bought these Rally Raid tanks, reports began to surface of such failures due to poor design & manufacturing. Unfortunately there aren’t many aftermarket tank options available for the 690, and each has its drawbacks. I haven’t figured out what I’m going to switch to yet. Luckily the tank valve was shut off already (I’d forgotten to open after refueling). Reattached the dangling member with duct tape and bailing wire.

Fakename: Washed out? Yikes, you augered in. It was very uncomfortable to witness, despite the grace with which your maneuver was executed. A little scary, but glad you’re OK.

Fabless: Thanks, was lucky it wasn’t serious. Note to self: practice emergency braking in various conditions.
    [​IMG]

Fabless: Despite this setback I refused to let it ruin my mood, and enjoyed the afternoon ride into Pierce, about as good as the morning trails had been. Our spacious accommodations in Pierce, which came with a hot tub and kitchenette:

CiD: The Lolo Motorway is not to be missed:
    [​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

[​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

[​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

CiD: One of my main concerns about this ride was the bike I was taking. My normal adventure ride is a KTM 525 EXC. I really like the light weight and just have fun on the 525, but with all of the other riders on bigger bikes and knowing we would have some long street sections on the way home I took my KTM 950 Super Enduro. By day 3 I was so comfortable on the 950 that I was throwing it around like my 525 and having a blast. However I got a little to cocky when I needed to make a uturn and lost my balance backing up. With an 8 gallon tank with a tank bag and all the gear on the back I could not pick the bike up. This is where radio's really come in handy as I was able to call Strega and he showed up in under a minute and helped me pick the beast up. Although I argued that it wasn't really a crash the guys wouldn't give me a break and I earned the Pez for my efforts (I didn't keep it long).

[​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

CiD: Fabless earned the Pez it's rightful home. After some minor? trailside repairs we were on our way again.
    [​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

CiD: It wouldn't be an adventure ride without a Kug sighting.
    [​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

CiD: The Man in Black somewhere in Idaho.
    [​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

In Pierce we stayed at Outback Idaho perfect for moto groups. We had one cabin and one two-bedroom apartment either of which could have accommodated our full party. Nice folks, clean rooms with full kitchens, a laundromat and a mediocre diner across the street. Happily stay there again

[​IMG]

Day 7: Pierce to Clark Fork via Wallace
    Strega: Early morning start after gas and some photos. Excellent riding to Wallace but it was dusty and slippery. Rode through some cool tunnels and then to Wallace for lunch at the Historic Smoke House BBQ and Saloon. The pulled pork was the meal of choice.
    The main drag on Sunday morning in Pierce:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fabless: Wide roads were followed by close-in, slower mountain riding through beautiful sections of forest with moss-lined trees filtering the sunlight and providing a measure of coolness.
    [​IMG]

Fabless: A view of the Dworshak Reservoir:
    [​IMG]

Fabless: Here, Strega makes the turn-off to the Blue Heaven Cabin that Chris decided we should inspect.
    [​IMG]

Fabless: It was a very hot ride into Wallace for lunch. My riding gear worked fine when we were moving, but did nothing except absorb insolation when standing still. We circled the town once and quickly settled on the Smoke House, which turned out to be an excellent choice, followed by a quick run for huckleberry ice cream that I retrieved from another establishment up the street.

[​IMG]

Fabless: Our afternoon ride only proved to be hotter, and Strega scouted out a nice hidden entry to Teepee Creek, one of the streams we were flanking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fabless: Jumping into clear, natural, gently flowing water like this brings out the kid in you. An hour later feeling refreshed and rejuvenated, we resumed our ride. Unfortunately this feeling was not to last long. With just a short section remaining before Clark Fork, I hit a sharp rock and my front went flat. Despite removing my jacket for the repairs, I was soon drenched in sweat. The dowel supporting my bike is something I’ve been carrying for three years and have used perhaps a dozen times now. Light, cheap, compact, functional. Simultaneously, unbeknownst to me and miles ahead, Strega was having his own troubles.

Strega: The ride to Clark fork was eventful. I came around a corner head on into a jeep and locked it all up and went down hard on my right side. The bike ended up under the front of the jeep but amazingly, not actually touching it. When I went down I kept going and my head hit the front bumper. I didn't hit it hard enough to do any damage but scared the piss out of me. Waited for the other two guys behind us and they didn't show for a while so we rode back to find them changing a front tube. Feel like I was lucky, that could have turned out WAY worse.

Fakename: Now THAT’S using your head.

This raises another point about IDBDR- you will ride more than a thousand miles in remote areas. There will be days where you might not see another vehicle all day. Hours will go by, thousands of blind turns on roads with compromised traction. Experienced riders will tend to make the route more interesting by speeding up the pace, which leads to some interesting cornering techniques- flat track anyone? You will be led to believe the odds of encountering oncoming traffic is in your favor- and they certainly are. But that does NOT mean they’re not there, and sooner or later an oncoming vehicle will find you, just like it did Strega. His was minor at worst, but it could have happened to me with far greater consequences at hundreds (seriously) of opportunities. Be careful. One in a thousand chance, but you’ll go through at least one thousand turns, so…

Fabless: Assuming a uniform 1/1000 chance of each blind turn having a car behind it, there’s a 63.2% chance of encountering at least one car in 1000 turns.

Fakename: Sigh. SMH. Mathematicians. Is that “odds with replacement”?.

[​IMG]

Fabless: I had to repeat the tire change after pinching a hole in the first tube. Then not too much further down the trail, had a slow-speed front-end wash-out. It was a trying end to a long day.

Fabless: Scenes from Clark Fork:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

CiD: I tried to get the guys to camp at the Blue Cabin but they weren't buying it. My yellow Giant Loop was full of camping gear and tools and spares for the ride. I never opened it once on the whole ride:
    [​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

CiD: Lots of cool tunnels coming into Wallace:
    [​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

CiD: Fabless making sure he got to keep the Pez.
    [​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

CiD: My white boots offering moral support during the only flat of the ride.
    [​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

CiD: The passing of the Pez, Fakename giving it to Strega after Strega tried to make a hood ornament out of his 690.
    [​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

...to be continued
    95Monster, AdVeId and visualizerent like this.
  6. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you didn't let it ruin your ride but that's UGLY ! :evil

[​IMG]
  7. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    Great report, men! :thumb

Makes me wish I had a bigger monitor. :umph
  8. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome RR and sensational photos
  9. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic report gentlemen! (You too Pez:D) Great pictures too. Some of the creek crossings looked formidable but you must have made them ok. Keep it coming. Safe ride.
  10. OldtimerTC

OldtimerTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the same RR tanks on my 690.( The one that broke on fabeless bike) I was afraid they would be weak in that area....that's sucks, especially on a long trip.

I wonder if something can be done to reinforce/brace them to protect that from happening. I bet the RR folks are working on a solution...or at least hope they are
  11. covered in dust

covered in dust Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I 1st looked at the report I was on my IPad. Now I'm on my 27" IMac and I can't believe how good FakeName and Fabless's pictures are. I usually bring 2 or 3 camera's with me on a ride like this but only brought one because I knew these guys would do a great job.

CiD
  12. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer:
    Yeah.

Fabless makes me look like an amateur :shog.
  13. Idahohigh

Idahohigh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great Ride , My Grandson and I plan on doing the IDBDR in 2016...
    billmaxx97 likes this.
  14. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  15. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  16. Strega

Strega Black is a color

Oddometer:
    They now have crash bars for sale that cover those specific tanks.
  17. chasbo

chasbo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic report! Looks like it was an awesome ride. :clap
  18. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Awesome report and photos guys!! :clap
  19. OldtimerTC

OldtimerTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Strega !! You are all going to have to come out and ride Arizona with me this winter. Have some super fun trails to share.

Crash Bars ? - I didn't see them on Rally Raid's website, do you know who is making them ?
  20. baldbeemer

baldbeemer BALD IS BEAUTIFUL

Oddometer:
    Excellent report, gents!! Looking forward to chapter 3 :super:super:super