IDBDR - 2015 (Strega, Fakename, Fabless, CiD)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Strega, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Strega

Strega Black is a color

Oddometer:
  2. Strega

Strega Black is a color

Oddometer:
    Day 8: Clark Fork to Canada, to Riggins
    Strega: Took pavement up from Clark Fork to Canada and the route is complete. Yay. Pavement down 95 to Sandpoint, Lewiston (gas), Grangeville, and back in Riggins for the nite at the Salmon Rapids Lodge.

Fakename: It was hotter than hell. Some of the pavement was interesting, but mostly a slag, and temps were as high as 105f. That’s 40.556C 313.707K for Fabless. We had a schedule and needed to keep it, so we invested most of the time in the northbound IDBDR and scooted back on the highway.

Fabless: Crossed the Canadian border today and immediately turned around and reentered Idaho. Just to say we did it, I suppose. It would have been nice to try some trails up here, but the group had a schedule to meet.
    [​IMG]
    Photo by: Fabless

[​IMG]

Fabless: Vistas of Lewiston:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fabless: Despite the pavement, the ride south of Coeure d’Alene was pretty darned gorgeous, with rolling farmland, sweeping curves and forested hills to our east, as well as the occasional cloud burst. Wanted to stop for photos but was loath to interrupt the riding.

My rear brake platform was compromised by some of the falling but mostly by my ham-fisted attempt to bend the thing back. It snapped off somewhere in the middle of the day and, in the face skepticism, naysaying and outright heckling by my riding “buddies”, I broke out the bailing wire and some JB Weld picked up during today’s ride in order to rig a rock solid fix. Sometimes you just have to defy the critics and trust your common sense.

Fabless: Tightly wrapping the bailing wire to secure the brake platform:
    [​IMG]

Fabless: The results after half a tube each of JB Weld:
    [​IMG]

Salmon Rapids Lodge, Riggins ID:
    [​IMG]

Day 9: Riggins to Elko
    South out of Riggins to Mountain Home for gas, about 200 miles, then down through Riddle and Owyhee to Elko. 412 total miles for the day. Spending the night here in Elko with wheels up at 6am and should be at the truck by 7:15 in Ruby Valley

Fabless: Don’t forget our wonderful jaunt in Boise, in city traffic with 103F heat (that would be 39.4C to me)

Fakename: And such a contrast. After more than a week in the forest and mountains, the dip into Boise was something I couldn’t leave fast enough. Ugh.

CiD: The long ride back from Canada.
    [​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

[​IMG]
    Photo by CiD

Day 10: Elko to Ruby Valley
    Strega: Ready to ride for the last time at 6am. Lowest temp ride of the entire trip. About 65 degrees along the 60mi trip through Jiggs over Harrison Pass to Ruby Valley. Arrived right on time at 7:15am and spent some time chatting and the boys started loading the trailer. Now time for the 12 hour drive back to San Diego.

Fabless: Heading south back to Ruby Valley, we’d be on pavement nearly the entire way.

Fabless: The ride back into Ruby Valley, this time from the west, through Harrison Pass:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fabless: Loading up for the long drive back home:
    [​IMG]

Fabless: For all the heat and abuse of the trip, the 690 lost no coolant, and burned no oil.

In total:
    12 days, 10 on the bike, 2400 miles (1500 dirt), was an epic time, and looking forward to the next adventure, wherever that may be. What do ya say gents, Montana? Oregon?

...there’s more
  3. loph917

loph917 Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    looks like a great ride was had!

:thumb
  4. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer:
    Every so often I get off my lazy ass and take pictures for fun.

I get paid to take pictures, so when traveling I tend to "not work". But as I get older, I'm like turning the years of experience into something I enjoy- I guess I'm becoming more and more of an amateur every day.

For this trip, I decided to encourage myself with a new toy- a Sony A6000 and a couple lenses. I've shot a LOT of cameras in my career, most of them film, large format, Hasselblads, then the parade of DSLRs beginning in about 2001. My small form factor cameras have always been Canon- the G series. Sony loaned my a NEX camera a few years ago and I liked it a lot, but the menus and controls were unfamiliar to me, so I didn't buy one.

But the quality of these mirrorless cameras is incredible, and I don't take my money-making tools out on the bike, so I wanted to try something different.

Biggest limitation of small form-factor cameras has been the wide angle capability, and finally Sony came out with a 10-22 for their E series- grabbed one of those and also the lens used here, a 50/f1.8 prime.

Nice camera, but honestly, these images could have been shot with just about anything.

Strega:
    [​IMG]
    Photo by: Fakename

Fabless:
    [​IMG]

Fakename:
    [​IMG]
    Photo by: CoveredinDust

Chris:
    [​IMG]
  5. Billb596

Billb596 Rocky Mtn High

Oddometer:
    Nice report. So you think 8 days for IDBDR was appropriate? A group of us is doing this ride next month, your report was perfect timing.

Sent using my secret decoder ring!
  6. FakeName

Oddometer:
    Yes, 8 on the IDBDR itself is sufficient for most folks. Then add your repositioning/travel days.
  7. Riggerdan

Riggerdan How Ya Feelin

Oddometer:
    Bravo Amigos........BRAVO

- Wish I was There !!
  8. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    The IDBDR looks like a great ride; thanks for posting :thumb
  9. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Extroverted Loner

Oddometer:
    That's the best IDBDR report I've seen so far......excellent RR. Hope to do it in the future. Congratulations on a great ride.
    Mike
  10. dutchjohn

dutchjohn Adventure Touring

Oddometer:
    great report !!! This Wednesday we are heading north for the same ride. I have 2 riders coming from back east, here to my house and then we will ride from here. They have 14 days to ride, then have to get back east. I think I will try talking them into the CDR to get back to here. hehe.
  11. Strega

Strega Black is a color

Oddometer:
    Bump for the crew that missed it over the weekends hiatus :)
  12. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the RR. Where did you stage your vehicle & trailer while you were on the route? Did you notice any outstanding camping spots/areas along the way that you guys would have gone back to stay? I think we'll camp most of the route away from towns if we're lucky. Were there any fuel availability issues along the way? Rather not carry extra fuel if I don't have to.
  13. FakeName

Oddometer:

We stayed with friends in northern Nevada and staged the truck/trailer there. Were I to do it again, I might stage somewhere in the middle of the route to create two shorter highway days before/after. Or, even better, have a chase truck meet us at the end.

There were hundreds of excellent campsites along the way- you'll have no problem finding them. Yes, fuel in Jarbidge was sketchy as we noted in the report.
    Have fun, watch out for Bambis.
  14. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice report guys.....
  15. bluemtnridr

bluemtnridr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ya gotta love Idaho and the folks who live there.
    FakeName likes this.
  16. Force0321

Force0321 Dirty Pirate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dutch John,
    It was nice to get to meet you Tuesday up on the Magruder.
    Dan(Force0321) on the Little Red Pig, and Sam on the Big Red Pig.
  17. dutchjohn

dutchjohn Adventure Touring

Oddometer:
    like wise Its always fun to meet other inmates. We had a great ride, I will do a report when I get all my pics sorted out. We rode 3000 smiles with 2500 on dirt! WHAT A TRIP! Dutchjohn
  18. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    Finally found your report (via FB)....MOST EXCELLENT! Thanks for the pro photography! very inspiring.

After doing a bunch of the Tour of Idaho trails last year which included miles of beautiful, anus clenching singletrack, I vowed to return to Idaho for a more relaxing ride, hot springs, and fishing tour.
    So that is this years plan in Sept. I'm torn between taking the 690 or the new RRP Honda CB500X. All I see are pics of guys fiddling with the EFI on their 690s on big adventures....

[​IMG]
    B-23 Loon Lake near Burgdorf...also on my list...

Jarbidge Nevada on of my favorite destinations...most remote town in the lower 48!

Juan
    Nevada City, CA.

[​IMG]
    Rally Raid Honda CB500X Adventure Stage 3 conversion, 1st production bike in the US. Iowa Hill, CA.
    billmaxx97 likes this.
  19. AdVeId

AdVeId Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report, beautiful ride.
  20. AdVeId

AdVeId Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A bit curious, I see three different tires. What are they, and how did they perform (here in Idaho)? I am most curious about the one on the right.