1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideal tube patch size?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ZoomerP, Jul 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Instead of buying a bicycle patch kit, or some other kit with an assortment of not necessarily useful supplies, I'm considering just buying a box of Rema TipTop patches and some tubes of their cold vulcanizing fluid. The shelf life of the patches is five years, so I'll split a box with a friend.

http://www.rematiptop.com/products/automotive/tube-repair-vulcanizing-patches.html

My question is what size of patch would be ideal for motorcycle use, and is there such a thing as too large of a patch? A 2" round patches would seem ideal for motorcycle tubes. One could possibly be slipped over a valve stem to reinforce it, and a larger patch would seem to have a better chance of adhering to the tube, or covering a larger wound better.
  2. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    I was gonna say 1 1/2"

I been getting patch kits at tractor supply, they are rema style and size not bicycle kit.

For $1.99 i'm happy.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  3. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'll see what the local TSC has on the shelf.
  4. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any patch should be the cold vulcanizing compound, NOT rubber cement. Worlds of difference, a patch put on with cold vulcanizing compound becomes bonded permanently with the tube. You can't peel it off. Rubber cement? Those patches peel right off with very little effort.

Charles.
  5. ZoomerP

ZoomerP . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure. I plan to buy small tubes of TipTop or similar, and try resealing with a bit of foil to get more life out of the remainder.
  6. Bengt Phorks

Bengt Phorks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use 2 1/4" radial tire patches.
    They work on the tube or tire and will cover multiple holes.
    It's important to buff the patch area with sand paper. The best sand paper to use is a piece cut out of a belt sander belt. The grit is bonded to the backing and it cuts much faster than regular sandpaper and it's water proof. 100 or 80 grit works best.

IMG_5072.jpg
    ZoomerP likes this.