ideas for enclosed trailer/sleeping

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chasesdad, Apr 1, 2011.

1. chasesdad

chasesdad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would love to see everyones ideas on what they did to their enclosed bike trailer to be able to camp overnight . Bed, cots, sinks , how did u set yours up? pics would be great.
  2. fastdadio

fastdadio Still gettin faster

Oddometer:
    I've camped in mine for years with no real permanent mods done to the trailer. I have a truck box mounted on a stand with the tools and lubes in it. It doubles as a table when closed. Queen size air mattress at night and just stand it on edge during the day. Carpet squares for night time. All bedding and clothes are stored in the back of the truck, clean, dry and out of the way. Keep a broom and dust pan handy for clean up at the end of the day, then roll out the carpet squares. Chemical potty for the wimmen folk. When space allows, I bring my gas grill. I often rustic camp in the national/state forrests. Bring a weed wacker,shovel,chainsaw, fire ring. 12' x14' Coleman canopy set up outside the door for relaxing and foul weather shelter. Large folding card table outside under the canopy. Leaf blower helps to keep the trailer clean in sandy areas, also a handy aid for stubborn camp fires. Cold weather is the challenge. Do not use fuel burning space heaters inside the trailer at night. YOU WILL DIE!!! Use electric only or install RV specific heater vented to the outdoors.
  3. HuckFarley

HuckFarley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been setting up a 6x12 over the past few weeks. I painted the floor and ramp with porch paint from Lowe's which has some sand in it for traction. The walls I stained with stain/urethane to seal it a little from dirt and fingerprints. A friend gave me 2 12"x32" kitchen cabinets which cleaned up really nice with furniture polish. I mounted them high and sideways.
    I started looking at cots, but found none of them comfortable. I mounted two 5 foot sections of e-track on the side walls, about 20" off the floor, making sure to hit the upright wall studs with some 3/4" self tapping screws. From a trailer supply store I bought 6 stud holders which mount into the side e-track and hold a 2x4 across the width of the trailer. I had a sheet of plywood cut to fit across the studs for a platform. Another friend supplied some foam from an outdoor sign crate. Just trying it out it is super comfortable, I'm 5'9" and that's the exact width of the platform, so If you're really tall this might not be for you. When not in use the plywood and foam straps to the wall. Total cost of parts was around $90, which is more than a simple cot, but much sturdier.
    All my other equipment, grill,stove,lantern, table is portable and set up outside under an EZ Up tarp.

Attached Files:

4. sporthog93

sporthog93 Sporthog93

Oddometer:
    we did a 26' goose neck with insulation and paneling, wired/lights inside and out. carpeted. 4 fold up bunks mounted on the wall, sleeping area up in the gooseneck part. Heated with a wall hanging propane stove. Will haul 6-8 bikes and sleep 8. 2 people can and have slept under the bunk beds on the floor.
  5. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    how about a platform hinged to the wall, and then some small chain to support the outside edge?

or hooks on opposite walls, and swing a hammock in there.
  6. Shuffler

Shuffler Hommes Grande

Oddometer:
    I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer...for camping I just take along my big Cabelas folding cot & a nice sleeping pad, and otherwise use a camp stove, enviro-shitter, sun shower, and camp stove. It's spartan but gets the job done, and no cost/overhead of a fancy toyhauler.

Don't have any pics at the moment...Smuggy is down...
  7. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    I have a 6x10. My ramp slides into a frame for a slightly raised bed frame. When pulling with a bike in the trailer the ramp is fastened to the wall. Use a full size foam mattress about 6" thick. Very comfortable. Originally my wife didn't think she could ride long distances but we now have a Russell Day Long saddle and she can ride all day so the trailer hasn't been used for anything but helping people move for several years.
  8. cagiva549

cagiva549 whats a cagiva

Oddometer:
    I put a full length awning on the curbside of mine , a table that mounts rigid to the side from the side door to the back , thats where my kitchen sets up . I have a 50 gallon water tank in the front and a steel cabinet for all my kitchen supply's . Set up and teardown take a few hours each time but I rarely set up for less than a week so its worth it . I carry two cots that I set up when needed I have a propane fired hot water heater that hangs on the back wall , a couple pieces of rebar and a blue tarp and I have a hot shower . I spread my electric blanket and fold the other half over my sleeping bag and sleep like a bug in a rug . Everything packs inside with my two KTM's for traveling and unpacks for party time . I have a small freezer for extended stays , a portable fire pit made from a big truck wheel plenty of chairs and portable tables , Cooking equip capable of anything you want from Deep Fried turkey to Crawfish Etouffe and a full bar including top shelf margaritas . Its a 6x14 with swinging doors on the rear and a folding steel ramp . The back is sealed up while camping , cots are length ways on both sides at the back with a full width shelf across the back three feet of the trailer above the cots for all our plunder . We eat like pigs , drink like fish , and sleep damn good with all the comforts of home and then some . I have a portable AC but have never used it , camping in the summer sucks . I run on 12 volt with a built in battery and a 45 watt solar panel that folds up on the opposite side from the door or 120 power whatever is available . SEYA
  9. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    My philosophy exactly, nothing to winterize, maintain or depreciate. :D 6x10 haulmark, hinged platform for an airbed, home built vnose. :D

[​IMG]
  10. tmus2122

tmus2122 MSF Instructor 30yrs

Oddometer:
    Just a tought, you could get locked in by anyone, right? :eek1
  11. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I bought my enclosed trailer the salesman said they offer an RV style door for just that reason.
  12. smilin jack

smilin jack Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your trailer sounds great and just like my 24 ft goose neck.

It's 7 ft wide inside with double doors on back, escape hatch roof vent installed over the sink (roof vents drip...). Propane heater on wall, LED and fluorescent 12vdc lighting, 120vac base board heater, removable kitchen at front of 16ft deck with double sink, manual water pump, Coleman stove on Formica counter, 2" pink foam insulation in walls and ceiling, carpet on floor, fold up bunks along one side wall.

It sleeps four in the side bunks and three or four in "bedroom". We've had 12 sleep inside out of the snow in a pinch. It was crowded but warm.

By flipping up the bunks, a Suzuki Samari fits inside (pad eyes in floor for tie downs). I built it in 1992 from the ground up, using 1/8" x 2" x 4" box tubing, 2" x 12" deck and camp trailer aluminum siding. The roof is one piece of aluminum to avoid any leaks. Two Dexter 3500 pound axles with 4 wheel brakes and 235 x 15" tires. It's been to Alaska twice in the winter, Yellowstone Park, Reno twice, Canada with 15ft boat inside... it's traveled here and there around Oregon, and weighs 3200 pounds empty.

This photo taken on our 2006 elk hunting trip.

Dave

Attached Files:

13. skwidd

skwidd where does this lead?

Oddometer:
    Lock the lock on the outside, secure the door from the inside with a tie-down strap.
  14. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    Did you get your shitter installed in the v-nose yet?
  15. Laconic

Laconic Berserker Nativist

Oddometer:

Retro-fittable?
  16. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Naw, stoopit jack, will have to move one to the side of the tongue. :eek1 I may flake on westfest, missed riding CO passes last year. Your strom should be about perfect, so much stuff is 100+ miles away. :evil
  17. timdog

timdog a.k.a. Josh

Oddometer:
    Yes, but more work.

Check out this forum: http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/

There is a section for cargo trailer conversions. I bought a 6 x 12 a couple of months ago. I took the paneling out and put styrofoam behind it and added a couple of windows and roof vent. Everything you can ever imagine doing has already been done, so the info is out there.