Ideas for S or RS fairing phone mounts

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by shadeobrady, Sep 5, 2020.

1. shadeobrady

shadeobrady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey folks I've seen a couple threads on this but they're pretty old, or don't apply to having a fairing. R100RS with an S bikini fairing in this case. Not a lot of places to mount, unless I pull the rubber guard in the middle (not sure what that's called), but that would be least ideal, but maybe the only option.

I typically use maps and no electronics while riding, but want the option for longer trips I'm planning.

Could it be mounted to the fairing braces (shown with markup on one of the photos below)? I would need some sort of clamp and then about 3.5" pipe upwards to clear the gauges (then I could mount something like this or one of the quad locks I see people talk about from that piping). Allowing detachability would be nice, which all of these have.

Any thoughts or solutions you've seen or based on this initial setup?

IMG_4215.JPG IMG_4216.JPG IMG_4217.JPG
  2. Kiwiabbo

Kiwiabbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just mounted a Quadlock to my 90s but don’t have the pad in the way, however the mount I got for my GS is for a mirror and I used that oh the cross bar, you could probably get the same mount and extension and use the fairing stay
  3. seaswood

seaswood seaswood

Oddometer:
    Under that glitzy handle bar cover is a handlebar you can mount a RAM mount or two.
    globalt38 and WooPig like this.
  4. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Just pull the guard. I really don’t understand the point of them in the first place. They look terrible.
    globalt38 likes this.
  5. shadeobrady

shadeobrady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'll pull it - did they come stock on the R100RS? Or did an original buyer put this on aftermarket? Really I just need to clean it up, the thing is only hiding dirt.

I'll just go that route - sounds a lot simpler!
  6. ccmickelson

ccmickelson MonoMania Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's the impact dash pad, Nick. It's a critical safety feature in the event of a high-speed collision. The airbag of airheads.
    aptbldr and shadeobrady like this.
  7. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked Supporter

Oddometer:
    That one looks like what they have listed for an R100S, which go for $442 new, without the switch covers and emblem! The RS and RT ones are different and about 1/2 that price...
  8. shadeobrady

shadeobrady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To be clear, this is a 78 R100RS that the original owner swapped S parts out on (to my joy), so this one was new to me.

Edited since I jumped at you saying $442 - I'm seeing these pads for around $50 used.
  9. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is what Max lists for the 1977-84 R100RS:
    32 71 1 235 611 IMPACT PLATE $257.20, and then for the 1976-80 R100S:
    32 71 1 236 871 IMPACT PLATE $441.72. I'd hazard a guess that they don't sell many...
  10. shadeobrady

shadeobrady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Woof!!! Yeah and besides the chrome showing, we have modern helmets and I ride with a full chin (I do miss my open helmet from when I was younger, but no way anymore!) so no reason for this thing. Just need to clean the grime buildup that's under it! Thanks for the info folks!!!
  11. seaswood

seaswood seaswood

Oddometer:
    I have one of those covers in spares was going to use on S maybe now not so much.
  12. Kiwiabbo

Kiwiabbo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quad lock

Attached Files: