Ideas needed for St George area trails!

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by oneBEARDtwoWHEELS, Jan 7, 2019.

1. oneBEARDtwoWHEELS

oneBEARDtwoWHEELS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I originally posted this in the Pacific Northwest regional forums and realized that's probably the wrong place because I didn't get any feedback. Maybe this forum is better. I am planning trucking some bikes down to St George from Idaho ( where it's freezing and snowy). The girlfriend and I are sick of being cooped up not being able to ride. have a question for anyone in the St George area about ohv trails. I have been down there before with my girlfriend and we were riding up north of St George in the mountains. That was a lot of fun, but I don't think that area will be very accessible this time of year because of snow and elevation. We don't really want to ride much sand (she is still new to riding and tackling a bunch of sand at this point I don't think would be a good idea). Anyone have any good trail ideas that have minimal sand/also go to some scenic places? Any help would be appreciated. We are looking to head down there the weekend of January 19th. Thanks!
  2. TopherRides

TopherRides n00b

Oddometer:
    Not sure how much you know about St George this time of year. Maybe I am out of line here but I am thinking Vegas is not much further and warmer.

I haven't been here yet but it is on my list.
    http://parks.nv.gov/parks/valley-of-fire
  3. oneBEARDtwoWHEELS

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response! We've actually been to vally of fire. Definitely keep it in your list it is very cool. Sadly there is a TON of sand there. I was also thinking maybe death valley might be a cool place to go. Don't know if there is much riding to be done there. I get the further south is warmer idea but right now if it was even 45 degrees we'd be pulling out T-shirts haha. The weather here has been close to zero for a while now.
  4. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    Did this a few years ago with a buddy. We had big and mid size bikes along and took the big ones down south via a zig zag course all the way to a place called Twin Point overlook, overlooking the Grand Canyon. It was a very long route, so not sure if you have fuel range for it. Much of the return route north was on fast dirt.
    Find a map of the area called the "Arizona Strip" to check what's all out there south of St. George.

We also did some local technical single track and it kicked my sorry ass.

After St. George we rolled over to Death Valley to meet up with a bunch of ADVriders for two days of exploring around there. DV is a big area and, IMHO there was a LOT of highway riding involved to get to the beginning of dirt routes. There are some scenic places and a few sections of dirt roads that were tricky for really big bikes, and I'm sure there was some we didn't even get to (some roads were closed due to damage), but I left DV a bit underwhelmed. Maybe just me.

Uli
  5. TopherRides

TopherRides n00b

Oddometer:
    Death Valley is great during the winter. Just check on access due to shutdown:
    https://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm

There is a lot of riding to be done there.

Yeah, the cold gets hard to take and unless you are a polar bear, riding is out. Plus, dangerous on two wheels unless the roads are dry.

6. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Jockey

Oddometer:
    This guy's thread might help you out, it's a lot of pages but he's ridden and taken pictures of much of what's around that area. I get the impression it's mostly dual sport type riding. The north rim stays closed until the 3rd week in may. I think any of the forested areas will be snowed in late this year if it keeps up like it's been going. If it were me I'd divert to Moab, you can usually ride there from the 3rd week in Feb on. The riding is better too.
  7. rides2little

rides2little Braaaaaap Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was down there this weekend trying to escape winter too. Below freezing at night and only high 30's during the day. There is snow up high on the mesas. Warner Valley is the area East of St George and south of Hurricane. There are sandy parts on lots of the trails but if there has been a little moisture (like they got Sunday) the sand is much easier to deal with. If you are just wanting double track type riding head SE into the Arizona Strip. The roads go all over with some pretty scenic views.

Vegas was significantly warmer than St George and only a bit further if coming all the way from ID.
  8. oneBEARDtwoWHEELS

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone! That Arizona strip area looks promising. I did a general sweep of the area on some maps and looks like there is a ton of riding to be done. I can't wait to get out on the bike again. I hate being cooped up for the winter!
    Colorado Uli likes this.
  9. oneBEARDtwoWHEELS

Oddometer:
    Moab I'd definitely on the list this year. Have been down there several times in the truck wheeling. We will.most likely visit there late spring or late fall this year. That is my favorite time to head down there.