1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Idiot Driver

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RobP, Jul 13, 2020.

1. RobP

RobP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got home and am pretty PO’d.

Signalling to make a left turn onto side road and idiot driver passes me on the LEFT! This was in twilight so signal was very visible - glad I did my shoulder check!
    James11 and cmattina like this.
  2. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you ride long enough you'll see almost every form of bad driving. Those that prevail do so because of exceptional vigilance, some luck and skill. Take away either skill and/or vigilance and you're relying on luck.........
    The upside is that your vigilance has paid off handsomely and confirmed its value to you.
    Night_Wolf and TimberPig like this.
  3. Brenski

Brenski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you did too. That shoulder and mirror check from driver training is a standard for me. If there is a car behind me I do a hand signal; the left turn signal, not the one you gave the idiot driver. Be safe!
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  4. SaSaMCKZ

SaSaMCKZ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So glad you checked .. all sorts of yahoo's out there.
    caramelgq likes this.
  5. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What I will do when making a left turn with a car behind me is move into the oncoming lane well in advance and then use that lane to slow down. I think this is safer because it doesn't depend on the guy behind you being alert enough to notice you slowing down. It also doesn't inconvenience them by making them have to slow down for you. Of course you can only do this if there are no oncoming cars. (I'm talking about riding on county roads, I wouldn't do this in a town)
    Ymirtrials and knight like this.
  6. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    My mental attitude for the past 56 years has been I am invisible to all other drivers... still managed to have several close calls throughout but no crashes related to other drivers. I've had oncoming vehicles passing another and when they finally recognize there's a bike in their/my lane now on the shoulder with my middle finger extended upwards, their eyes just about come out of their sockets !!! I find some bicycle riders are the worst in cities... no regard for traffic lights or right of way of others.
    Night_Wolf and Kayak Dancer like this.
  7. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is it possible the driver passed you on the left because he/she did not see you in time to come to a full stop behind you? That's possibly an equally scary proposition.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  8. mroddis

mroddis Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had the same turning into a campsite in Lillooet last year. Car passed 3 cars (and me) just as I did my last mirror check before turning. Would have likely killed me the speed he was going...
    RobP likes this.
  9. EightTwentySix

EightTwentySix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is far too easy to get a driver’s license in this country. No mandatory training, inadequate testing requirements, incompetent testers and lax laws for serious violations are just a few of the problems.

In your case, I am glad your vigilance kept you safe.
  10. GP1200

GP1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The driver probably thought you were being too cautious and couldn't wait for you to call the all clear . it's happened to me too. Twice . You need to count to 10 and calm down otherwise you'll end up in jail. I was so angry I wanted to kill those guys. Try to avoid sitting in traffic and turning left at all costs . We are sitting ducks when sitting on a street turning left . I always try to get on the other side of the street and make a right turn instead . And yes , there is no shortage of really , really bad drivers. What we should all do is get front and rear cams and report these idiots to the police with video proof. In my jurisdiction , the cops have a website where you can actually do that .
    cal08, RobP and canadius_maximus like this.
  11. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you are alive. A brother was just lost from this very similar scenario a few days ago in Radium, B.C. Line up of cars because of a new intersection being built. A-hole got impatient and pulled a u turn into the oncoming lane, taking out the rider.

R.I.P.