If H/D made a dual sport?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by planzman, Mar 22, 2007.

1. planzman

planzman commie bike rider

Oddometer:
    IF Harley Davidson made a dual sport adventure bike, what do you think it would look like and which motor would they use. From my reading here on this forum, the love for the venerable 20 year old KLR 650 is supported by the simplicity and dependability of that bike. But HD are simply reliable, high tech is great but if the bike wont run with out it and it brakes off the road, you are stuck. I will take old school, with some comfort upgrades anytime.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Do you think a sporty 1200 engine with a ………..?<o:p></o:p>
  2. Tallboy

Tallboy hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer:
  3. xlcr

xlcr Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  4. dynamos2000

dynamos2000 is boinking your mom

Oddometer:
    ahhh that looks cool right there, I'd flat black those spokes though but who cares...awesome
  5. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    MT350

[​IMG]

MT500

[​IMG]

Maybe toss a tarted-up Blast motor in a d/s frame? :dunno
  6. GSDude

GSDude Banned

Oddometer:
    The word I heard is that HD is in process of building a competiton dirt bike.
  7. DingerJunkie

DingerJunkie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is a nice repackaging of a Canadian (Rotax) engine.

Now, if HD were to make a dual-purpose/adventure bike...AND they needed to make their own motor for it...what would you expect to see?
  8. BoTheTraveler

BoTheTraveler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Xr750
  9. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    That's 'cuz they bought it from Armstrong, tooling and all, with the intention of getting the USMC contract.
  10. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    as stated in that post...tarted up buell blast motor in d/s frame would be a possibility.

if not d/s, I think a roadster with a few mods would be a fine scrambler...perfect for most dirt/gravel roads and the occasional doubletrack.
  11. Grazoid

Grazoid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jeez- oaky - it's based on an italian bike a competition SMW,with Brembo Brakes, Grimeca Hubs, Marzocchi Forks, Ohlins shocks, an AUSTRIAN Rotax engine , that Canadians use in their vehicles :)

More Euro than most Hardly's and no Taiwanese parts at all :)
  12. Infallible

Infallible Into the Wild Blue Yonder

Oddometer:
    Harley used to make a great 250 years back.
  13. Gummiente

Gummiente Rebel Without A Clue

Oddometer:
    No, that was an Aermacchi rebadged as a Harley.
  14. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes Harley "years back" made some bikes meant to enduro...but they where anything but great!!! They where about the worst POS ever produced.
  15. Mikimoto

Mikimoto Banned

Oddometer:
    It's true. Was reading a M/C History book, and when the armed forces tried using them during war time - was a huge disaster. They KEPT BREAKING DOWN.....................imagine that! :rofl :rofl

I'd go with a Dual Sport HD IF it had a Rotax engine in it, but if it they used a HD engine..............lemme just put it this way, I wouldn't stray too far off the beaten path (at least as far as I could walk)

Miki
  16. janner

janner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like to see a retro/old school looking scrambler style HD...based on the Sportster 883 model......something that would compete with the Triumph Scrambler.
  17. Mikimoto

Mikimoto Banned

Oddometer:
    OMFG, I'd take a retro TRIUMPH over an HD any day.
  18. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I was a wee lad my Dad took me to the Harley store for the sole purpose of looking into buying one of the enduros. It turned out that the Guy who came out to help him knew from years before so it turn into a "how have you been... I haven't seen you... what ever happened to..." reunion.

After all the niceties He said: "Glenn, you don't want to buy one of these." "Every one we sold so far has been back in for service at least twice." " The carbs suck, the wiring is a joke and..... they just plain refuse to keep running." "If you want an enduro go buy yourself one of those Jap bikes"

If they came out with a decent dual sport I would have a look.
  19. Gummiente

Gummiente Rebel Without A Clue

Oddometer:
    You do realise that these enduros were made in Italy for Harley, right? A little company called Aermacchi, ever heard of them? Kind of pointless to associate the quality control problems of an Italian made single with the Amercian made V-Twin, doncha think?
  20. henecton

henecton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Harley actually produced some small displacement machines post WWII that were American made, the Topper(a sccoter) and the Hummer(2 stroke single, don't quote me but I think 175cc). Harley acquired Aramechi in the AMF years and just badged their stuff as HD, but they were outdated and unreliable as previously posted. Hopefully Buell will produce a dual sport.