If I get a Montana what else do I need?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by tnktm, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    I don't see a display pic. Does the Montana have a speed and odo display at all?
    I reckon this image from Touratech is from the City Nav upgrade...?

[​IMG]
  2. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    Yes. The trip computer can be configured to display near anything you can imagine.

fat fingered on a small keyboard.
  3. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Here's one example, but almost all the data fields can be changed/relocated.

[​IMG]
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I set mine up to show 4 Small Display items on the map screen. I have speed, elevation, time, and trip odometer. I would have preferred just two but could not find an option for this.

You can slide this display on and off as you wish.

You can get to this from the Map screen by hitting the menu icon and then Setup Map and then Dashboard, Small Data Fields. You can select from a huge group of data items to display but pressing on each of the fields on the map screen..
  5. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    got the 600 coming and a TT mount plus two rugged cradles and a sim card CityNav.
    Should be set.
    I reckon I'll hardwire the unit.
    What's the hours/lifetime of the Lithium battery?
  6. Twilight Error

Oddometer:
    About 6 hours without, 4 hours on 50% and 2 on 100%.

7. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:

Not sure waht you mean 'without'... :ear
  8. Twilight Error

Oddometer:
    The backlight (as accessed by a quick poke at the power button) in the 0% position.

9. dmaxmike

dmaxmike former quadtard.

Oddometer:
    wait are you saying i can pick a spot and it will turn by turn me there on back roads and trails?
  10. Twilight Error

Oddometer:
    To the best of its ability, yes. It doesn't differentiate between OHV, MTB and hiking trails, all it sees is a way to get to point B. You've got to use your own head to overrule the GPS when it starts goatrouting.
  11. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    To get turn by turn routing you will need a route-able map like City Navigator or 24K topo maps (about $90 per region). For trails, the 24K topo maps will give you more options.
  12. dmaxmike

dmaxmike former quadtard.

Oddometer:
    Well I know what I’m asking Santa for!
  13. gspdbill

gspdbill noobie allover again

Oddometer:
    OK, I can be dense sometimes but I've read through this thread a couple of times and think I have it down now, just like to confirm.

A few ebay sellers are selling the Montana, newly refurbished w/ 1 yr warranty and that's the direction I'm leaning.
    I don't need a camera.

650T comes with Topo maps installed but don't know if they're 24k or 100k (I would want the 24k per these threads). If the Topo is the 100k it would make sense to buy the 600 and add the Topo 24k card.

I would want the City Navigator card for use on the street.

Does it make sense to have the 2 cards and just swap them out when going off-road?
    Or, if the City Navigator was loaded on the 600 could you just install the Topo 24k card and use that, then remove the Topo card to revert back to City Navigator?
    Basicly, if you have CN loaded on the 600 and you insert the Topo 24k card would you have to re-load CN when you remove the Topo card?

I've owned several Garmins going back to a GPSmap 76 but I've never used a map card in any of them so I don't understand how the card impacts pre-installed maps..

Thanks for the info you guys have contributed to these threads.

EDIT: Ok, read in a couple of other threads NOT to get the card map data but to get the DVD. Does this allow switching between map types?
  14. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    1. the 650t comes with 100K topo maps installed on the unit
    2. I would suggest buying CN on the DVD and loading it to the Montana with an expander SD card. Same with any 24K maps. You can use a big capacity card and have all your maps available.
    3. Use multiple profiles on the Montana. For road use, have CN maps enabled. For offroad use, have a separate profile with the CN map disabled, but with your 24K maps enabled. Switching between profiles is easy, and can be made one-tap easy by using shortcuts.
  15. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
  16. scorpion

scorpion Two arm bandit

Oddometer:
    I accidentally threw my 12 year old beloved GPSMAP 60 away in the trash can!:cry :baldy
    Planned on getting the new 62s but all the talk about the Montana. . .
    I use it solely for off road riding and do not need a camera or voice routing.

My questions with the Montana are:
    1. Touch screen not easy to operate with gloves ( I had etip gloves they are crap IMO)

2. It's kinda big unit for a small dirt bike

3. I'm very used to the 62s size and I already have a cradle

Looked at the Montana today, it was very fancy. :drool

Cabelas has it on sale for about $90 more than the 62s
    I'm going to buy it probably tomorrow

Hmmm :dunno

Sorry theres like 900000 pages of discussion (I cant read it all) on this unit so it must be good. . .right?
  17. Twilight Error

Oddometer:
    1. Yes. Quite friendly. Its a resistive touchscreen, this type relies on screen layers contacting each other for the signal. If you're too hamfisted, rig a pencil stub on a lanyard and use the eraser end to stab at the screen.

2. Yes, it is big. Can't help you there.

3. The mount you've got may be worth something on the Flea Market? Dunno...
  18. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    The Montana's hardly any bigger than the 62 series.

[​IMG]

Think of it this way: if you buy the 62 you'll always wonder if you should've bought the Montana. If you buy the Montana, you'll never think you should have got the 62. :lol3

But the Montana really is far better than all the alternatives right now as long as you don't need Bluetooth and Media Players.
  19. scorpion

scorpion Two arm bandit

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I knew you guys would say that!
    plus it's my barf-day next week.

Going to Cabelas tonight. BTW if you ever find yourself near one got check it out. Disneyland for the outdoorsman.
  20. gspdbill

gspdbill noobie allover again

Oddometer:
    Why thank you kind sirs!

I already have (more than) a few SD and micro SD cards lying around. I'll find out what the biggest/fastest the Montana will support and use that. Thanks again for the info on the dual profiles, that is outstanding.

Thanks for that. I was going to buy a refurb unit from one of the stores that has a warranty (that I can confirm) anyway. I will check Garmin's ebay store first.

Huh, jusst checked Garmin's website and the Montana 600 detail, it mentions the micro SD card but doesn't say what the max size or recommended speed for the card. Does it state it in the owner's manual?
    *** Found on GPS City's Q&A section that Garmin says the 6xx's will accept up to 32g microSD card but GPS City says it slows the GPS down considerably if you use anything larger than 8g. ***

OK, found my way to the "Wisdom and FAQ" thread and to the GPS City web site. I've got some reading to do!
    Thanks for the links!