If Loud Pipes Save Lives, then.....

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by TheProphet, Jun 18, 2018.

1. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    Following this interesting Logic:

Shouldn't folks who talk on cellphones, and walk in public at the same time be wearing noise making devices? They walk into pedestrians and bystanders all the time!! :hmmmmm
    Belgian, Bar None and panzer like this.
  2. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^
    It is fun to watch them walk into lamp posts, parking meters, etc.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  3. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    firstshadow likes this.
  4. vortexau

Oddometer:
    If it was true that Loud Pipes Save Lives . . .

[​IMG]

. . . on the floor immediately below the hospital ward for the Terminally Ill Patients . . .

. . . they would have a series of talented organists, each one playing in their turn, in continuous relay . . .

[​IMG]

. . . on the console of a humungus Pipe Organ which can play beautiful music, very, very, loudly . . .

. . . yes, that music . . . beautiful music . . . but played very, very loudly!

That would save the lives of those Terminally Ill Patients . . . if . . . if loud pipes -really- saved lives!
    Belgian likes this.
  5. vortexau

Oddometer:
    Okay now - let's clear out the hospital floor just underneath the ward for the Terminally Ill Patients . . .

[​IMG] Right! Got that?
  6. pdxmotorhead

pdxmotorhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    I drive a Honda FI EV as my commuter wagon, I like it quiet,, nothing like sneaking up right behind entitled Yuppie/Hipster moms pushing strollers up the center lane of a parking garage and on their smart phones rolling down the window and say "Hey excuse me".. sticking the mentioned mom to the ceiling and her scream wakes the baby..

I have 5K LED headlight bulbs on the Fit(DRL),, so in a darker parking garage my lights are usually what people notice when NOT on a phone..

Of course setting the ebrake, hitting sport mode and lighting the tires up works too..
  7. CSI

CSI Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have owned three Harley's, each one quieter than the previous.....followed those up with a Goldwing, and then an FJR both with stock pipes.

I never noticed more people turning in front of me, encroaching upon my lane, or doing anything differently when I was/am on the quiet bikes, vs the louder ones.

The proponents of loud pipes ride along with their head in the clouds, not paying attention to shit, thinking that the bubble of noise they have surrounded themselves in will keep them safe. Why ride defensively when you have a wall of sound to keep you safe, right?
  8. tallnbig68

tallnbig68 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aldershot, now part of Burlington Ontario
    On my Volvo 145S station wagon had installed a 32 Volt former Toronto Transit street car gong. Tapped the coil at roughly the 12 volt mark, (not exactly rocket science). Excellent wake up sound for those not totally aware of their location be they pedestrians or drivers of vehicles. Separate push button on dash with a large relay to sound the gong. Odd looks when you're driving along and warn somebody, and no streetcar tracks in sight... Sadly Volvo long gone, streetcar gong ended up in the Casa Loma Wurlitzer musical special effects chamber; would assume it's still here.
    TheProphet likes this.
  9. tallnbig68

Oddometer:
  10. tallnbig68

Oddometer:
    Actually Pipe" organs as opposed to organs such as a Rogers or Allen which are not true pipe organs, they emit their audio using speakers. True pipe organs all play at the same range, volume be it loud or or not so loud is a result of the moving of the shutters on one side of the chambers where the air-driven pipes are located.

A selection of classical pipe organ selections that may be heard at loud volumes could be arranged ;
    however to me a proper cinema /theatre wind chest organ would be far more effective. And the repertoire could be suited to the soon-to-expire patient if so wished. Mind the number of classical wind driven pipe organ
    selections can be as many or even as few as the cinema organ. It's all on what the patient desires. A theatre organ can emulate most classical organs however the reverse is is not always true.
  11. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been putting a lot of miles on an ebike in the last couple of weeks, and being silent makes a difference. I am experiencing more people not seeing me.

I rode across China a year or so ago on an IC bike (that story is in this month's RoadRUNNER magazine), and in the cities, they use primarily e-scooters over there. I had a couple of times when I was walking around and I stepped off a curb in front of one. I didn't hear anything so I thought the street was clear. I think the silent running thing requires a lot more rider attention. My experience and opinions only; YMMV.
    B02S4 likes this.
  12. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    BC66175C-16B8-424A-B98B-961DADD6F3E1.jpeg
    Belgian and Bucho like this.
  13. AmbientMoto

AmbientMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love the Sci-Fi whine of the electric bikes I’ve witnessed... looking forward to riding one myself. No personal experience of course but at the end of the day, it’s still up to us (the rider) to be as safe as possible. As for loud pipes... I think they do more harm than good to motorcycling in general.
    T.S.Zarathustra and voltsxamps like this.
  14. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had to use the air horn of a semi many times because someone was about to merge, drift, or change lanes into me. Speaking from experience, I don't believe loud pipes or silent EVs are meaningfully different.
  15. MockSpeed

MockSpeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Reading all the replies, it's a mixed bag of experiences.
    Essentially, it comes down to the already existent care and awareness of the rider and the drivers around them.

Ride defensively everyone, don't trust nobody on the road.
    TheProphet and voltsxamps like this.
  16. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    Maybe the electric cycle/scooter riders have to apply dog logic? Funny starts at about minute 0.55:

voltsxamps likes this.
  17. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not just E bikes that are quiet ,during the warmer weather I am on my bicycle when I get off the one of my motorcycles after work and I can tell you that most modern cars and trucks you do not hear the motor, you hear the tires.
  18. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Living in a country where lane splitting is common and legal, my experience is that the louder the muffler the more cars move out of the way when a bike is lane splitting. As a car driver I also find they're much easier to hear coming than the bikes with stealth OEM mufflers.
  19. Peels

Peels Long timer

Oddometer:

this^

Said it earlier in this thread, but I passed a Tesla on my bike doing 90. Even with earplugs in, full face helmet, the tire/road noise was distinct, and much louder than the semi engine behind it.

My opinion is that, due to the doppler effect, and wind/road noise, pipes don't help at speed. IE: I'm sure you'll hear them, but its likely too late to do anything about the mistake that's already been made by you, the biker, or the oblivious cage-driver.

do this the next time your'e driving on a 4 lane or better.. You see a biker in the distance in the rearview. (loud piper cruiserface) As, Hes coming up on you, Slow down, so as to force him to pass, then watch carefully when the exact moment is you can hear the pipes. at 75, iv'e found that the bike will be at almost 7-8:00 position before the pipes are a factor. At highway speed... I'm not convinced there's a solution should a collision be imminent.

^
    but in this instance, I would agree. Though, Iv'e not heard of too many fatal motorcycle incidents in stagnant traffic.

not a lane splitter though. we rarely have mentionable traffic (unless its farming equipment) out here in the boonies. lol
    voltsxamps likes this.
  20. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    In 2011 I was at Pikes Peak International Hillclimb.
    During practices and especially race day, there were people constantly crossing the road. All the race machines could be heard from a distance roaring up the mountain.

There was a Nissan Leaf racing, it had to have a siren going to let people know it was coming.