If Loud Pipes Save Lives, then.....

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by TheProphet, Jun 18, 2018.

1. rswift-ebay

rswift-ebay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good point. I took a Zero out for a 2 hr test. I had three people in town step out on me. They can't hear you at all. As far as loud pipes, I have a Goldwing as well (quiet) and an Africa Twin (loud) and I see no difference in people noticing me.
  2. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    You have loud mufflers on an electric bike? I think you misunderstood the question.

Question was: On a very quiet electric bike, do you experience the opposite effect of 'loud pipes saving lives'?
    mitchxout likes this.
  3. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    Well, one things for certain.. swinging a sword doesn’t help you echolocate a bus.

Peels likes this.
  4. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    ^Truth. I was driving my wife’s car today when an sportbike passed me, splitting lanes. I didn’t notice or hear him until he was nearly parallel with my car as he passed.
  5. Frank06

Frank06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Re Pikes Peak: they require the stupid siren. How drivers can concentrate I have no idea and spectators still run out!
    voltsxamps likes this.
  6. insomnia

insomnia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my mom has 2 carving knifes one is electric the other isn't the electric knife is loud it saves the elbow she has a sticker on her fridge that says loud carving knifes saves elbows she also has a sticker on there that saysa support your local meth dealers she's a wanabe a badass mom and she wants everybody that comes into her kitchen to know about she even got a bunch of tatoos and wears a dorag with skulls on it and wrap around shades even when its very over cast or dark outside even though she aint ridden since the 60's and that was a lambrette . I prefer very loud horns myself . electric bikes perish the thought way worse that loud pipes high handle bars and very wide back tires I would nearly prefer to stay home but I have to leave the house to get crack and hoes and cheese burgers .
  7. Peels

Peels Long timer

Oddometer:
    'tis why I am sometimes nervous to pass, and when I Do so, I make sure to observe the driver, try to check that their face isnt glowing blue, then haul ass past them. :photog
    Monkeyshines and voltsxamps like this.
  8. Belgian

Belgian Kipper

Oddometer:
    Emergency vehicles are highly visible with flashing lights and sirens. Ask those driving them about their experiences. People hardly react to loud sirens before they actually see them. Lots of people on the roads are hearing impaired, most because they're using a cell phone. Visually impaired as well, again because of those little screens of their "social life support system".

Insurance companies have rates according to the risk: fees are lower when their risk to have to pay is lower. In rural areas, for more experienced drivers, for people driving less, for vehicles with modern safety gimmicks,... Then please, can someone explain why those having louder pipes don NOT get a cheaper insurance?

I have 4 motorcycles, all bought new, all with stock sound system: 1978 Harley FLH1200, 2012 Kawasaki W800 Velorex, 2015 Zero DS, 2018 Cezeta 506. Ok, the last two are electrics and have added sound systems, namely a bicycle bell and a children's bicycle horn. These are ment to warn bicyclists and pedestrians and are really effective at that. All my bikes, including the ones I no longer have, are always kept as silent as possible. Yes, including my HD which is the loudest but still only produces a measured 83 dbA.
    I have always tried, and nowadays more than ever, to ride as if everybody is deaf and have only twice encountered a problem with a seemingly deaf person. Both times it was in the first month that I rode my Zero and both were not really dangerous. I presume that subconsciously I was already aware of the possibility of this and was already slowing down and prepared for "evasive action". The first was when a pedestrian only looked to the left after he had stepped on the road (emergency brake) and the second was when a bicyclist decided to turn left for a U-turn (brake and pass to his right). After this, I rode to a nearby supermarket, bought me a bicycle bell and installed it. When I bought my second electric, the bell was moved there and the Zero got its little horn.

Loud pipes ruin life.
    ctromley likes this.
  9. ctromley

ctromley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are certainly more distracted drivers out there, but I cringe a little when everyone leaps to the conclusion that cell phones are our biggest nemesis. They're not. Look at the drivers around you and you'll find all but a tiny minority are not on the phone and are engaged in their driving. We need to make clear distinctions about this stuff so we can better understand the situations that get us into trouble. The emergency vehicle reference brings up a good point.

A large part of why people don't seem to react to sirens is that when you hear one, you can't tell where it's coming from. The siren only tells you there's an emergency vehicle nearby. You're reacting, just not in a way that is apparent to others. You know you need to stay out of its way, so you look for it. You don't take action until you see it, and the lights are probably the first thing that tips you off.

When I hear a loud motorcycle nearby, I don't think I need to get out of its way. Nor should I. (Speaking only for myself, I'm thinking, 'Oh great, yet another annoying, childish asshat making all motorcyclists look like knuckle-draggers....') If I need to execute any kind of maneuver I need to check around first. That's the only time I need to know where the asshat is. If his presence affects my maneuver, I'll see him. If he has a brain in his head, he won't be where it's hard for surrounding drivers to see him, or where he's in danger from people who don't look at all, so he's protected from less-observant/clueless drivers.

In other words, assuming the presence of a brain in his head, making noise gets the asshat nothing. Except broadcasting the fact that he's an asshat.
    Thank you for that. Where I live, the typical time a stock exhaust system remains on a Harley is measured in seconds.
  10. Belgian

Belgian Kipper

Oddometer:
    Studies have shown that... whatever the studies need to prove. But there are several that conclude that usung a phone while drivinq is aas dangerous as alcohol usage, though it is not stated how many beers or whiskies it equals. Handheld or handsfree do not make a lot of difference in this.
    Over here in Belgium, my estimate is that over 25% of road users are using their phone while engaged in traffic and pay more attention to their precious screen than to anyone's life, including their own. When school's over, the amount of youngsters on bicycles may reach over 75%!

Over here, the time an original exhaust stays on a Harley can't even be measured in seconds, I presume they are shipped here without. They only get something that looks like silencers but is hardly anything of the kind after the client has decided wath look he prefers.
    Peels likes this.
  11. Peels

Peels Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stand by my feelings on cellphone usage. Its been a direct personal observation, that i did not "leap" to. I have had 5 NEAR collisions with cars, 4 of them involved phone users. 3 were women. the 5th. just not looking. Id estimate iv'e observed AT LEAST 50 people on their phone on the highway, though no other transgression took place.

I am in NO way trying to convince anyone phones are THE problem.... But they ARE like throwing a can of hairspray into the fire.... :)

LOL @ statement in bold and, really, the rest of your post could have come from me. :photog
    mitchxout and Belgian like this.
  12. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    For my point of view, the issue foremost is NOT riding into trouble. Say what you will, point fingers at whatever dumbass road users you want, point justly at a lack of real riding skills by a lot of riders, point at still mostly ineffective/incomplete rider training, point at too easy access to licensing; but still, largely, a high percentage of riders ride themselves into their own issues.

That in itself is independent of how loud or quiet a bike is. Loud piped big V-twin or super stealth electric, it still all comes down to knowing how to ride in traffic and on public roads, and using high capabilities in situational awareness to survive. The more a rider learns to master these critical aspects of riding the higher the survival rate of riding.

Oh, and to the training comment; I've been a MSF Rider Coach for 25+ years. I wish a lot more stringent rider training was required before a rider put one mile on the road in traffic.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  13. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    ^^ This. Riders need to take responsibility for their actions, stupid, bad judgement, or otherwise. As I have stated on numerous threads, I see countless dangerous riders on the road each day. Yet, if they were to get in an accident, most would default and blame the car. Lots of bad riders, bad habits, and lack of skills on the road. Take someone who is an A-hole driver in a car, and put them on a bike, they are still likely to ride like an A-hole. They are just now on a different vehicle and will claim they are the victim if something happens.
  14. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    I have found that this attitude of doing whatever I can not to ride myself into trouble (even the classic car turning left in front of me), has served me extremely well in 45+ years and 275,000+ miles of riding. I am not saying I am infallible, nor am I excusing all the idiots on the road for all their faults and non involvement, just saying it has worked extremely well for me, on quiet bikes, in all sorts of riding environments.

Knock on wood, but in all my decades of riding I have never had to take evasive/emergency action reacting to a car turning left in front of me. Dumb lucky? Knowing myself, not likely.
    Peels and scrubb like this.
  15. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I love loud bikes when I'm driving my car. The quiet ones are impossible to hear as they filter between lanes and lurk in blindspots.
  16. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my electric bicycle I have a speaker and play harley sounds at full volume
    voltsxamps, Peels and scrubb like this.
  17. Peels

Peels Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just yodel
  18. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with most of what's been said. I've always ridden with the intention of not riding into trouble which has served me very well and helped me avoid a few accidents over the past 15 years of riding. I have both a loud cruiser and an electric bike, and have noticed no difference with how cars pay attention to me. The only thing I've noticed that was a huge difference is with how pedestrians have no idea you are there in parking lots / side streets.
  19. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most of my close encounters of the car/truck kind have been road ragers trying to f^(k me

Decades ago I took the path of going for stealth and decided staying alive or out of a hospital was entirely in my court and that loud motos, clown clothing and flashy lights are more likely to piss someone off (at least here in AZ) than to prevent a collision

People will debate me on that by I'm not interested, it's just how I roll

Funny how hard it is to find quiet aftermarket exhausts, and if you do, they'll just as likely sound like Rosie O'Donnell farting through a straw
  20. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stock too. Whole lot of bikes come from the factory a whole lot louder than they need to be.