If Loud Pipes Save Lives, then.....

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by TheProphet, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Peels

Peels Long timer

Oddometer:
    not BMW boxers. these things are sewing machines lol
  2. SteveVT

SteveVT n00b

Oddometer:
    This is my first post so I thought I'd weigh in on the loud pipes discussion. Last year I bought an '18 Zero DS 7.2 with the charge tank option. Rode 2500 miles before putting it away before the Vermont winter. Love the bike.

Another poster said he added a bicycle bell to alert pedestrians and bicycle riders without having to blast them with the main horn. I did the same and it works great.

Regarding loud pipes, I enjoy the quiet of the Zero and so do my neighbors. I live in a rural area 4 miles from the nearest asphalt. I've not had an incident where I felt at risk from riding a near silent motorcycle. I wear hi Viz gear but still ride like I'm invisible. Now I also ride like I'm silent...which I am.

On a side note an electric bike isn't for everyone. They're pricey, but I'm retired and can't take my money with me. The range and charging time would be difficult for some. For me, I can ride into town, plug into a J-1772 port and get lunch. The bike charges from 0% to 95% in an hour. A full charge gets me about 65 miles of spirited riding on the dirt roads. At home I plug it in at night and am ready to go the next day.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
  3. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO

Oddometer:
    Great idea and welcome to the forum. I've been looking at anything and everything electric with two wheels for my too short (-5 miles) commute and local riding. Something scooterish would be just fine.
  4. joker-b

joker-b Here and Now

Oddometer:
    No one who has done any significant amount of bicycle riding in traffic would be so foolish as to say "loud pipes save lives."

Here's a clip my old SF commute. If I couldn't hear everything, I wouldn't he here to type this.

Eager to get an electric moto to replace my current one -- probably a BMW.
    voltsxamps likes this.
  5. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    My arguments against the "loud pipes saves lives" rationale:
    1. I ride two to three times the national average (2500 miles), so I am on the road two to three times the common rider.
    2. I've ridden quiet bikes since 1990. Even my current 07 BMW R1200RT at steady throttle would be considered quiet even with the Remus muffler.
    3. I strive to increase my space cushion and following distance, constantly. I am always making certain I am not near other road users.
    4. I ride in all sorts of traffic conditions; lonely back road to busy expressways.
    5. I rely on a very high level of situational awareness, not loud pipes.

and yet, I do not have issues with other road users. Other don't cut me off, don't take my lane, don't turn left in front of me. I don't ride into traffic issues that cause me to use panic or reactionary riding actions.
  6. lauris47

lauris47 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought electric KTM e-xc freeride. Experienced probably ~10 people cutting me off in two weeks because they don't see me nor hear me. Mostly bi bycicle riders do that, but today a car driver didn't hear and went right in front of me. I can definitely state that it doesn't happen so often on laud bikes as my previous ktm 640 or current 560, where some cars just move away from the road when I drive by ;D...
  7. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had a Zero FX for almost 1 year, 4,400 miles and have not noticed a single difference between it and my Yamaha Warrior with Vance and Hines exhaust. A good mix of highway and city miles in there. I truly think its all in how defensively you ride.
  8. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In place of engine noise, electric vehicles could play the radio or downloaded tunes through external speakers, with the volume being proportional to the amount you twist the throttle.
    -Downloaded sounds could include music or most any other repeating sound.
    -Mitsubishi (ICE automobiles) did something similar, where the radio volume increased with increasing speed.
  9. Monkeyshines

Monkeyshines Long timer

Oddometer:
    If noise doesn't work nobody would be bothered by it.
  10. MJSfoto1956

MJSfoto1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As an actual EM rider who has a long history with ICE bikes, all I can say is I love the silence and don't miss the noise. I'll go a bit further: I find that the silence makes me safer. I can approach an intersection practically with my eyes closed as I can easily hear where the other cars are (or not). Frankly, until you actually ride an EM, I don't think it is possible to fully understand how beneficial the experience is, and the experience (in my experience) has been almost entirely positive. Just another point of view based on real life.
  11. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    I needed to run my Forza 300 maxi-scooter in my shed while I had the muffler off. That little thing was loud. I should try it some day on the road with no muffler just for the hell of it. Not far but curious?
  12. Monkeyshines

Monkeyshines Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good point. Your own noise may distract you from your surroundings.
  13. NoMoreIdeas

NoMoreIdeas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Completely agree. I can actually hear where cars are around me on my zero. I find the quietness very relaxing. These bikes still make noise though, they are as quiet as some people might think (especially at WOT).
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  14. BigIron

BigIron Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer:
    There’s a lot of other factors that go into smashed bikes with loud pipes.

I used to commute through Seattle in LOTS of traffic. And lots of people talking on the phone, texting, drinking coffee... Whatever you’ve heard about Seattle drivers, it’s true. I can tell you that I had more close encounters on a Gold Wing with accessory running lights than on a Sportster with pipes (and not overly loud either).

I’d be in traffic and watch people turn their heads to look when I was on the Sporty. I appreciated that especially when passing and around their rear quarter panels.

I’m not advocating obnoxious pipes, just saying that in my experience, it’s a factor. As others point out, an MSF class is a WAY better investment.

I’ll get an e-bike someday but stay alert and be careful out there.
    Monkeyshines and Peels like this.
  15. Peels

Peels Long timer

Oddometer:
    you definitely aren't wrong about what the real threat is. and the best way to curtail it...

the whole of my argument isnt just against the loud pipes. its the folks that use that argument and take NO other safety measures along with it, adding to the stereotype of those bikes in ditches... AKA no helmet... riding like an idiot. drunk, late at night, rapping on the throttle middle of the night.

Loud pipes... maybe they help. but only as a supplement to smart riding decisions :)

my bike is a sewing machine. lol
    BigIron likes this.
  16. BigIron

BigIron Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer:
    I absolutely agree. I’ve come to prefer quiet bikes. And I fully agree that being aware of what’s around you (including hearing) and not being an idiot are far more important than any value assigned to loud pipes.

I had a friend get squashed on an open piped Bourget because he hung around the rear quarter of a car too long. Be smart, be careful.

And take an MSF class. I took my first after riding on the street for twenty years. I learned a LOT.
    MJSfoto1956 likes this.
  17. ZenPuddleJumper

ZenPuddleJumper No more tickets, please.

Oddometer:
    I think it would be awesome to have a programmable speaker setup integrated with the bike's speed so you can choose a particular sound track like a ducati, harley, whatever bike you want to sound like that day. And it would vary with a virtual rpm that matches the acceleration of the bike.
  18. voltsxamps

voltsxamps Advolturer

Oddometer:
    On my electric motorcycle, I added a small UE Boom bluetooth speaker to the handlebar playing a “moto mix” playlist primarily to alert pedestrians in parking lots, parking garages, and malls, as several people would either step right in front of me or be startled when they look up and see me as I pulled into or out of a parking lot. More of a courtesy warning for them than music for me.

Newer electric cars emit a low tone at speeds under ~18mph(30km) as a mandatory requirement for the same reasons, but are not yet required on EM’s, though I think they should.
  19. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nobody says noise doesn't piss off people. Some of us say it doesn't make you safer.

Listening to a loud pipes proponent on crutches from a single vehicle crash preaching the life saving mantra, my wife's response was "I guess the guard rails didn't hear your pipes."
    ctromley and MJSfoto1956 like this.
  20. Monkeyshines

Monkeyshines Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think some people are perpetually offended.