1. eNewsletter Sign Up

If money is no object, which GPS do you get?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Detroit, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Have you added an old map like Roads and Recreation to the Monterra? If so, did it display? The map I want to see is the Canadian equivalent to R&R.
  2. Cattledog1969

Cattledog1969 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any information???
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

1 ok, you're wrong :)
    2 sure, they do that
    3 yes, and you can carry it with you to other friends, transfer it via wifi/bluetooth microsd card, NFC, email, gmail, hotmail, adhock networks, gpsies, mega, cloud, iME, whatever to your other devices/friends/cloud services
    4 that's a really good question, i really don't know why folks do - maybe money really is no object to some folks ?
    5 great ! oruxmaps, backcountry navigator, osmand / osmand+, LOCUS (wow!), Maverick / Maverick Pro, and about 100 other android applications do just that
    6 see 5

you can also use those applications to BUILD A ROUTE COMPLETELY OFFLINE, with no cellular connectivity at all. yes, you'll need to download maps beforehand, but that's true of stand alone GPS devices too. the options for MAP TYPE are huge for these android programs, i have about 25 map sources listed on mine, but prefer 2-3 views.

that being said, there is a thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=942663 that's pretty info-packed , right here on adv.

now, if i had the -need- for a money-is-no-object GPS solution, i'd go with a quad-core, off contract, $400 ruggedized 4-5" phone/phablet with wireless charging... and put Oruxmaps, Sygic, and Osmand on it. Either one of the three will do everything you mentioned (and a whole lot more than the standalones ever will) for a whole lot cheaper, with the option of actually using the application YOU WANT TO USE for the mapping/routing/tracking/planning.

really, i've played with the gps standalones, and other than the current ruggedness some of them have, see no point in the archaic designs and REALLY BAD user interfaces. the monterra looks like the closest thing to what interests me, but for that price, i can buy 2 crappy android phones from craigslist that kill it in features and usability.

:)
  4. Cattledog1969

Oddometer:
    Can I open, view and follow a GPX route on an Android device?
  5. ohgood

Oddometer:
    yes sir!

create, track, route, import, export, convert, share, edit, and keep on trucking, gpx's- all offline if need be, or online, whatever you need

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe0bH9F9aIE
  6. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Using a phone for a GPS works OK but for me I prefer a stand alone GPS that is designed for motorcycles. The reason being those are created to withstand the vibration, dust, & water that comes with motorcycling. If you keep your phone put away and only taken out to check directions then those things are a non-issue. I like my GPS mounted on my handlebars so it's viewable at all time. I need one that can take a hit and keep on ticking. :evil

Right now I'm looking at Garmin's Montana and Zumo. I'm leaning toward the Zumo because the screen is bigger but I haven't decided yet since money is an object. Right now I'm using a very old Street Pilot 2610 which has served me well but it doesn't have some of the features newer GPSs have and as I said old.

The problem I'm finding with GPSs is they have more features than I want and don't want to pay for. I don't need my GPS to do everything just be a GPS and talk nice to me when it tells me where to turn or that I took a wrong turn again. :lol3
  7. modeselector

modeselector Common as muck

Oddometer:
  8. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    I'm exactly the opposite.

My motorcycle trips are special. Therefore I want my GPS to give me ALL the information it has at its disposal. I mean everything.

The last GPS that would do that for me was the 478. So if money were no object, I'd buy Garmin, have them update the 478, buy about 10 of them, rehire the CEO and sell the company.
  9. Cattledog1969

Oddometer:

So I down loaded the free version of OruxMaps App and opened up some GPX files I have saved from day hikes. The files open up no problem and display themselves on the map screen just like it was on the original My Tracks App. Will this app prompt me and guide me turn by turn using these GPX files just like I've seen done on stand alone GPS units?? So far it just loads up and shows a 2D track. I have used the 3D feature viewing the tracks, but its just another view and no real function. Do I have to purchase another app to make it work?? Or am I doing something wrong??
  10. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just replaced my Zumo 500 with a Zumo 390. Loving it so far.
  11. ohgood

Oddometer:
    hmm, turn by turn on a hiking route will not work, no. oruxmaps builds routes, records tracks, and can display gpx/kml as a track or route, but is not a turn by turn navigation app. it is an offline, kffroad routing / mapping / tracking / multi tracking app I can't imagine any application could do turn by turn on walking trails, without a lot of false positives.

you can follow the track with oruxmaps, and set proximity waypoint alarms to "on", and route guidance proximity to 'on', or just look down from time to time. for hiking, the ' compass cone' view will give you a very good idea whether to turn left/right at the next trail intersection. if you vary too far off route, it will alarm you, and you can set its sensitivity to literally yards or miles.

for turn by turn (on road) I would suggest Osmand first, then sygic, then a slew of very similar apps. Osmand is the best on road OFFLINE route planning, tracking, and turn by turn navigation app I've used, besides locuspro. locus has a million plus features more than oruxmaps/osmand, but its a learning curve is steeper.

back to 3d view, I don't use it as you've already found its not really helpful.

hope I haven't muddied the waters. :eek:
  12. Cattledog1969

Oddometer:
    I just posted this on another thread but I think its worth posting here too.

I just spoke with someone from Garmin on the phone about using my phone as a GPS device. He said to purchase an App called Navigon. He said even with the app installed that Basecamp would not recognize the device to send and receive files to and from the phone to PC.
  13. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    Navigon is made by Garmin.

What a coincidence. :D
  14. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    anything EXCEPT garmin's BS outdated maps and clunky software is what I'll be rockin' :D:lol3:deal
  15. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:

Why would they recommend the competition? Duh.
  16. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Ya know, i was set to go ahead and fork out stupid money for yet ANOTHER Garmin (well BMW labeled) unit, and finally common sense reared it's ugly head. Screw it, I'm not buying anymore standalone GPS's. My iPhone may not do everything i want, but Garmin sure as hell doesn't either. If I'm gonna settle, I'll go ahead and settle with a $10 - $50 app instead of a $700 to $800 pain in the ass.
  17. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I"m tickled to death Garmin no longer supports my gps.

So glad they did that before they screwed it up.

BigDog