If You’re Going to Ride Coast to Coast, You’ve Got to Start at the Coast

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by EvilClown, Jul 16, 2008.

1. EvilClown

EvilClown Reality show stunt double Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thank you and thanks for coming along!

There were some climbers that day. You'll never make them out in my pictures. Mere specs.

Don? I'm guessing with the powder we've had this winter we won't see him 'til June - when they kick him off the slopes.:lol3

Hi, Andrew! :wave Apparently there are many centers. I like the one you found as there is a diner conveniently located next to it. However, upon my return I learned of yet another center. Guess that means another ride one day.
  2. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast BDR ambassador Supporter

Oddometer:
    In! :beer
  3. InsuredDisaster

InsuredDisaster Sam's Summer Camp

Oddometer:
    Great report! So sorry to have missed the great photos (I'm guessing) from Guzzi, but perhaps he'll repost them.

It may have been asked before, but did you just hand hold the camera for all of those shots on the bike, or did you mount it somewhere?
  4. goodolguzzi

goodolguzzi Guzzen around the hood

Oddometer:
    :wave Hellyeah it's been wicked good season thus far :super

30 ski days
    410 miles descending (skiing)
    317 miles climbing (sitting on arse)
    9.8 mph moving average
    34.7 mph max speed average
    52.2 mph max speed
    433,801 vertical feet

:smile6 winter is not that bad :hide
  5. kiwi93

kiwi93 The Evil Monkey

Oddometer:

Skiing with gps strapped to your forehead Don?
    Who says you are technologically challenged ...

:rofl :lol3
  6. goodolguzzi

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what is worse.....
    having the gps tracking my days or creating a spreadsheet to compile all the data!
    I think it would be geeky if it were attached to me forehead......
    I am not a geek because my gps is located inside my backpack :D

[​IMG]

Looks like the tek-no-logic-lee challanged kid may be able to post pictures........
    Fire Hole Falls Road in Yellowstone before Old Faithfull
  7. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Cool! Now you can go back and fill in the blanks where they disappeared.

:hide

:lol3
  8. goodolguzzi

Oddometer:
    :rofl Wow, how many months of Sundays would that take? :lol3

Where in the world did i leave off?
    Oh, just left Old Faithful.......I was headed for the Grand Tetons also......Remember Mike's traffic jam reclaim/paving train? (see page 38) I didn't get any photos but was there.
    I was just about to u-turn when traffic started rolling, after one lane travel for about tree miles and looking at the time and seeing the traffic line on the other end i decided to make that u-turn and get the hell out of dodge. The plan kind of worked because i only waited about a minute before i rolled right back through!
    Eventually found a nice lake with lots of dead wood.
    [​IMG]

I believe this may actually be looking at the Tetons

[​IMG]

Look close....still shootin' old school!

[​IMG]

Are the trees on fire?

[​IMG]

Stopped at the sulfur pots.......man did they stink!

[​IMG]

This big fella didn't think so

[​IMG]

Last stinky stink

[​IMG]

Traffic was pretty much ridiculous at this point.
    However, the closer I got to the Northeast gate the better (less traffic) Yellowstone got.
    Passed this little fella and had to stop
    [​IMG]

Was Mike just here? Where's little nut brown?

[​IMG]

I like snow :lol3

[​IMG]

I think i can make some turns in that left chute :D

[​IMG]

The road to the NE gate gets fun

[​IMG]

Where'd the traffic go?

[​IMG]

Random semi-arsty river shot

[​IMG]

Actually had a nice gatorade/cracker/beef jerky rest break here

[​IMG]

View across the street

[​IMG]

Back on the road.......another big fella!

[​IMG]

Once through the NE gate.....I was stopped again for construction.
    Will I ever get to Bear Tooth Pass today?
    At least the view didn't suck

[​IMG]

Pretty impressive actually

[​IMG]

One last photo from construction stop, must be the southern exposure

[​IMG]

This attaching multiple photos in one post is pretty wacky :type
    Next stop Bear Tooth Freakin' Pass :super :smile6 :jump
  9. OscarZ

OscarZ one of Gods prototypes

Oddometer:
    I'm not quoting to save bandwidth, but I must know your route from the 1/14 post. That is going on my AK route next year! :tb

Thanks for the RR:clap
  10. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    Excellent RR, guys - some lovely vistas in the pics too :thumb
  11. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    Hey, GrayWolf. I may have missed you before. Sorry about that. Thanks for coming along!

The camera was hand held but I had the camera on a lanyard around my neck...just in case. Tried a mount on a trip down the BRP in '07. It was handy but I found the pictures had a bit of security camera feel to them. Want to try one of those 'lipstick' cameras with a remote sometime. Thanks for stopping in!

Whew! Glad I had a highlighter with me.:lol3 The route that day across Wyoming was 14/16/20 from my campsite in the Wapiti area over to Ranchester. From there, wanting to make a bit of time I jumped on 90 until Moorcroft where I headed north on 14 towards Devil's Tower. Then 24 over to Belle Fourche. 85 south to Spearfish for the night. These AAA maps are great!:thumb Thanks, Don!

Thanks for dropping by, OscarZ!

Thank you!

[​IMG]

He's trying to tell you something, Don, "Psssst! The snow won't last forever. Start planning a ride."

When are you thinking? Part of me wants to head up to Newfoundland as planned this year - another wants to head back out west...

Convince me.:1drink
  12. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Along about 1am I wake up to howling wind. Looking outside I can't really tell what's happening - or should I say, about to happen. I flip on the computer and get the weather radar. "Hmmmmm...looks kinda ugly." A big blob is heading our way. That's weather talk, btw. Back home I've gotten pretty good interpreting the radar maps and predicting what might happen. Here I have no idea.

I decide it may not be a bad plan to get up and put a few more stakes in the ground since I only have the two for the vestibules in.

Tent all secure I drift back to sleep. Heavy rains ensue. My tent keeps me dry. Life is very good.

The rain ends at some point before I wake up. Stuffing a soaked tent into its bag I get on the road rather early.

[​IMG]

It's a bit foggy. Maybe too foggy for what's on the agenda.

[​IMG]

A little roadside attraction does its job. I stop and have a look at the attractions...

[​IMG]

...maybe the fog will burn off some.

[​IMG]

A man-sized hotdog startles me. Perhaps it was the multi-colored eyebrows. As much as I wanted to stay and see how he finished the hair I decided it was time to roll.

For some reason I was hungry and coffee was sounding good. A bit farther down the road (Lead?) I find a spot that looks promising.

[​IMG]

Inside it's dark as a pocket. More of a bar than a breakfast joint but I'm here and they have coffee. It's an interesting scene with the handful of locals that have made their way in. The owner appears to be going over the books at a nearby table while she chain smokes Pall Malls.

I look over my map in the dim light while feeliing the stares from a couple on a wide glide. The gear may have them perplexed.

[​IMG]

Breakfast comes. The toast is neatly arranged in a pinwheel fashion. I wolf it down while still studying the map.

After another cup of coffee and paying the bill I fold the maps up and get up to leave. Nearly to the door the owner looks up and asks if I can sign the guest book. "Sure." She points me to it. After signing it I head back out and get on the road.

Might as well get gas before we get too far.

[​IMG]

Pulling into the station this Ford catches my eye. A '66 Fairlane. Right wheels and an understated stripe. Perfect.

[​IMG]

I get talking to the owner. Been in the family for some time.

[​IMG]

It's got a 428 stuffed in there. Bet it'll set you back in the seat. Sweet ride.

[​IMG]

Bet he gets right after it when no one's looking. heh heh heh

Gassed, we leave.

[​IMG]

I love the 'old west' looking Main Streets.

[​IMG]

I manage to catch a rare shot of the Fairlane in a rear view mirror.

[​IMG]

The fog has burned off some. Hopefully enough.

[​IMG]

I barely catch a shot of the sign.

[​IMG]

I'm greeted at the gate and pay the fee. Sorry. The NP pass doesn't work here.

[​IMG]

In the parking lot I run into these two guys from Michigan.

After they point out the Crazy Horse sculpture to me in the background I'm astonished at how much it resembles the Golden Gate Bridge we saw a few short days ago in SF.

[​IMG]

After a few minutes the scupture begins to show through.

[​IMG]

Maybe there's hope.

[​IMG]

We say good bye and I head towards the building as Crazy Horse's head is back in the clouds.

[​IMG]

While the fog and clouds come and go this guy sets me up with some trinkets to take home.

[​IMG]

Inside there's a viewing area with a model of what they're trying to accomplish here. You can barely make out the outline of the horse's head on the rock.

[​IMG]

For some scale those are people you see there to the right. The head is over 87 feet tall!

[​IMG]

Wondering around the grounds I end up out on the deck where's there's a larger 1/34 scale model - and a perpetual line of people posing in front of it. The actual scupture is a mile away.

When you think about the size of Crazy Horse and the equipment used it's mind boggling how much effort has gone into it this far and it isn't completed yet. The first blast was in June of 1948. Yes. 1948. 60 years ago!

[​IMG]

Of course, this is an old example of a drill and compressor. I'm guessing they're running hydraulics now but there's still a huge amount of hand drilling that has to go into it.

[​IMG]

Thankfully, the fog has burned off enough and I get one more shot of it before making my way to the parking lot.

[​IMG]

Before getting too far the obligatory 'bike and Crazy Horse' shot is taken.

[​IMG]

Back on the road an attempt is made at the artsie 'in the rearview mirror' shot. The loose plan is we're trying to get to - or at least close to - Minnesota today. But first we've got a few more places to see...
  13. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    Don't you just hate it when the formatting/spacing gets all messed up on you...?

My AAA map has an inset of the Black Hills area that can easily fool you into thinking you're in a New England type environment where you can hit all six states in one day.

[​IMG]

This is South Dakota. Haven't looked it up but I'd be willing to bet a large portion of New England could be stuffed into it.

[​IMG]

Good news is the fog has lifted enough to see the road and the scenery a bit. The route down from Spearfish was 14A and 385. Nice windy road but not much to see past the fog.

[​IMG]

244 takes me over to my next stop. Sadly, this is the best shot I get of the route. You'll just have to believe me when I tell you the rock spirals and formations along the way are impressive.

[​IMG]

Always wanted to see this.

[​IMG]

Still a bit hazy out...

[​IMG]

...the cones, snow fence and no parking signs guide me in.

[​IMG]

They do add to the scenery though. The 25 mile speed limit is a bit tough on these roads.

[​IMG]

Finally reaching the entrance it's decision time. Go in or do the 'drive by tourist' thing. My zoom helps me decide.

[​IMG]

At the entrance I ask one of the 472 rangers how to get out of the maze and they direct me around. Somehow I miss all of the 'no parking/stopping' signs and get the obligatory 'bike and Rushmore' shot out of the way. It is here that it occurs to me my pile-O-crap on the bike is 1/34 the size of Mount Rushmore. Ok. Maybe 1/20.

[​IMG]

Right about the time I get back on the road a rider with a cowboy hat and Jesses rides by. If you happen to see this, these pictures are my gift to you.

[​IMG]

I follow him for a while...

[​IMG]

...until a pullout where George is visible.

[​IMG]

Again, the zoom comes in handy.

[​IMG]

Danged tourists.

[​IMG]

The sky and the clouds put on a show.

[​IMG]

A parting shot before moving on.

[​IMG]

The bike moves through the portal to our next destination.

[​IMG]

Some where on the other side is more fire damage.

[​IMG]

With the landscape flattening out I entertain myself with the camera and go for the 'through the culvert pipe on the flatbed' artsie shot. If only Rushmore was in the background...

[​IMG]

At some point Rosie gets me off the beaten path. Those parrallel roads sometimes confuse her. After a bit of back tracking and median crossing we get where we want to be.

[​IMG]

A little construction to set the pace.

[​IMG]

The land is wide open.

[​IMG]

Past the construction traffic is very light.

[​IMG]

A lone tree struggles for survival.

[​IMG]

The last surviving traveler I have the road to myself...

[​IMG]

...just the bike, the road and the hay bales.

[​IMG]

Not exactly sure why but with all this open country I have to take a break right at someone's mailbox.

[​IMG]

A quick sniff of the roses. Ok. some kind of petunia like wild flower.

[​IMG]

Back on the road to nowhere.

[​IMG]

Things start to green up a bit - 'cept for that brown strip.

[​IMG]

Just as quickly they get brown again.

[​IMG]

Under the cloak of broad daylight we slip in the back way to Badlands National Park.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"These aren't so bad."

[​IMG]

"What's all the hubbub about?"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, another traveler or four.

[​IMG]

Thinking that car must've run out of gas and its driver is still walking to find some I start looking for fuel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe up ahead...

[​IMG]

"Ahhhhhh......"

[​IMG]

When these pumps were installed no one could have guessed gas would be as high as it is. There was a little sign 'splaining you had to double what was showing on the pump. Interestingly enough there was enough demand in the area for not one, but two coin operated horse kiddie rides. Not the one horse town I thought it was at first.

[​IMG]

Gassed up I look for the post office.

[​IMG]

The town of Interior isn't very big but it has everything it needs.

[​IMG]

Including two room sized air conditioners in that ginormous building.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I find the post office.

[​IMG]

This guy is standing guard. The sound of my daughter's voice rings in my head, "Ahhhhh....look at the cat."

[​IMG]

Business all taken care of it's decision time again. North up to 90 and haul the mail over to Minnesota or loop east through the rest of the park and up towards Wall.

[​IMG]

Rationalizing what I'd already seen just wasn't bad enough to warrant making it a national park and the need for internet I go with the 'loop up to Wall' plan. No more free rides I'm greeted at the back gate of Badlands NP.

[​IMG]

Once inside with the rest of the paying customers, the scenery goes from bad to worse.

[​IMG]

This is one time when that is a good thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm guessing early morning or late afternoon this place would be spectacular with the right lighting. It's pretty impressive even mid-day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gotsta have the artsie mirror shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sneak up on a couple of bikes.

[​IMG]

Following for a while...

[​IMG]

...then passing once it's determined we're not on the same itinerary.

[​IMG]

If you hold your ear real close to the monitor you can almost hear Julie Andrew singing in the background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing quite like a nice sweeper following a mini van with the brakes on. Good opportunity to take in the scenery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My first 'Wall Drug' sign. Must be geting close.

[​IMG]

Coffee's only 5 cents. Too bad it's nearly a hunirt out here.

[​IMG]

Rolling into town I find a place to park with the rest of the tourists and take a stroll to work out the kinks.

[​IMG]

Must be the traveler's chapel advertised on the sign in the previous frame. Obviously, designed to confuse wedding ushers.

[​IMG]

Not sure but one of these could be the mummified remains of Howdy Doody. You pick.

[​IMG]

Probably not the 5 cent cup of coffee.

[​IMG]

I finally find a spot to sit and see if I can get some internet. As I go through the poor internet service login process I hope to see the owner of this fine automobile. The urge to ask if that old Chrysler 300 has a hemi in it is overpowering. One of the first cars to come with one - besides the Desoto.

Finally managing to get a signal and power at the same time I email Chris and let him know my dilemma. When I left Spearfish I had 700 miles to go to get to his house. After playing tourist all day I'm really not that much closer.

I'm 1900-2250 miles from home and have to be there in 3 days. Not too bad if you're not trying to throw in a couple more states and a stop over. I let him know I'm working on a plan and I'll get back to him.

Pretty beat at the moment it's decided some personal fuel wouldn't be a bad thing.

[​IMG]

After a big salad, some of that free water and quality time with the map, a game plan is assembled. I wander around a bit more taking in the sights.

[​IMG]

Wish I'd taken a video to capture the moment but in his mind this boy is running them horses hard!

Finding another wi-fi connection I let Chris in on my plan before getting back on the road. Done with Wall Drug - all refreshed and reenergized - I beat feet it over to 90. Like the young lad in the covered wagon I haul the mail over to Mitchell, South Dakota pulling into the KOA at 8:45.

After setting up camp and unwinding a bit I settle in for a good night's sleep. It's been a big day and there's another one coming right up.

14. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Wow! Thanks for the beautiful pictures and the time it took to share. Reminds me so much of my journeys to the area. the Ongala Lakota Souix reservation is hugeeeeeeeeee. Just seems like it never ends at times.
  15. goodolguzzi

Oddometer:
    So after the construction break in Cooke City, I followed 212 to the Beartooth.......

I missed the Top Of The World sign because i was so flabergasted by these fellas!

[​IMG]

July 1st and still sleddin', looked like some decent riding to be had at that!

[​IMG]

Oh my

[​IMG]

Don't get too close to that gaurdrail

[​IMG]

Some fun

[​IMG]

It feels like the top of the world!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Awe inspring

[​IMG]

Cockpit view of very large snowbank

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did i say wow yet?

[​IMG]

Where are me skis?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't believe no one is skiing this

[​IMG]

Remnants of a rope tow?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just two more snowy shots :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some road shots :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes that's the road carved into the side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little blurrred, i hope that culvert is big enough!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beartooth Freakin' Pass :ricky :super
  16. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    Nice!:thumb

Yer really taking a liking to this multiple picture in a post thing aren't you, Don?:lol3

Thanks again, achesley.
  17. goodolguzzi

Oddometer:
    As a matter of fact........I am! :deal

So anyways.......After decending Beartooth Pass i stop in Red Lodge, Mt for fuel. The plan was to keep on going towards Bighorn National Forest.....I was warned in West Yellostone that if i stopped in Red Lodge I would want to stay.....While fueling a couple with there son & daughter on Harley's, one with a sidecar, stopped in........Then the sky opened up and just poured buckets........

[​IMG]

They informed me i was still a few to several hours from where i thought i was heading.......The sky looked ugly.....I roamed town to find way over priced hotels. As i was leaving the last one i checked, frustrated and just ready to roll......the owner walked up and asked if i checked in. I informed him the price was out of my range and i had origionally planned on camping any way. He asked if i had seen a recent weather forecast.....it had started to appear ro be clearing.....No i said.....Well severe t-storms and hail are forcasted and you probably shouldn't head off so quick. He stated he used to ride and would hate to see me leave in that kind of weather. Anywhoo, he showed me a small room and offered me a slightly more reasonable rate. I thanked him, checked in.....and man o man did the sky come unwound once again! Thanks buddy :clap I can't remember the name of the place off the top of my head.......
    Then it was off to see the town of Red Lodge Montana.......stopped in the brew pub for a frosty then over to Flanagan's i think......wow it's hard remembering back a few months.......Had a decent burger and several local brews......started playing "guess what state i'm from?" with the waitresses and bartenders.....very entertaining. Next thing i know the place is closed and i'm juicing with the worker bees who are getting primed for the local open mic night accross the street......

Local Red Lodge Taxi :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Highly tuned precision front wheel :rofl

[​IMG]

Local talent

[​IMG]

Off to open mic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spoken word gal was good

[​IMG]

This gal was the best singer/performer of the night

[​IMG]

Punk/metal band :super

[​IMG]

Wall of plates

[​IMG]

So after way too many :slurp :beer :freaky :1drink
    I called it a day and wobbled me way back to the room......got in about 2:30ish :eek1

July 1st - 2008

277 gps miles
    79.9 mph max
    44 mph moving average
    6656' min elev
    8574' max elev
    26,078' climb elev
    136.8 miles climbing
    27,320' desc. elev
    139.8 miles descend.
  18. RPD1

RPD1 We don't

Oddometer:
    Fantastic pics and write up. I'm sorry I didn't see this thread sooner, I would have liked to have seen Don's photo's.
  19. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Maybe now that skiing has taken a turn for the worse Don will go back and edit his pictures back in.:augie
  20. Mark.F

Mark.F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been reading this RR over the last couple of days,good pictures and good writing, thanks for taking the time to record it all, it makes good reading.
    When's the next instalment!