If You’re Going to Ride Coast to Coast, You’ve Got to Start at the Coast

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by EvilClown, Jul 16, 2008.

1. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    THANK YOU!!! :bow

I wish I had found this RR earlier... I would have met you and Mike out at Cascade when you rolled through OR.
  2. kiwi93

kiwi93 The Evil Monkey

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing Don! Great RR. and great pics.:wink:

Now if we could only get EC to wrap this up, instead of running around and playing tag.:lol3
  3. schwartzkm

schwartzkm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why wouldn't the local BMW shop mount the tire on the Guzzi? Mounting a tire on one bike is pretty similiar to any other bike.

btw, I am really enjoying your ride report.
  4. EvilClown

EvilClown Reality show stunt double Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Glad you stopped in.

Thank you! And as you wish...

Thanx! Post up a link to your trip when you get back!

Might. Thanks for all of your support and encouragement!:thumb

If someone else would play hint, hint maybe I could stay home and do that.:lol3

Can't answer as to why they wouldn't mount the tire but want to thank you for stopping by. Glad you're enjoying it.

Hopefully I haven't missed any of you and my apologies if I did.

Let's see if we can't get this wrapped up...
  5. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    Oh, Kripes! Look at my post number...

[​IMG]

Early morning, I wake up next to a mini-golf - right where I set up in the pitch black night a few hours before. Reasonably rested and thankful the other half of the sandwich from lunch in Sturgis I ate before bed didn't kill me. After a quick shower I pack up. It's time to roll. We're going home.

[​IMG]

Still early, I pick my way through the deer to the interstate. Not much moss grows on the tires today.

[​IMG]

Somewhere along the NY Thruway I find breakfast.

[​IMG]

They also happen to have wi-fi at Denny's so I check in back home.

[​IMG]

Fed and gassed, it's time for more miles. The weather is perfect - again. Traffic seems a bit heavier than I think it should be for a '4th' weekend. "Aren't most people where they're going yet?"

It's a day of 'gas and ride'.

[​IMG]

At some point we all come to a stop - at least for a little while. I volunteer to run ahead and investigate.

[​IMG]

By the time I get there the carnage is on the ramp truck and traffic is slowly begining to move again.

[​IMG]

Another stop for fuel and another curious potential rider. We chat a little before I have to go.

The day rolls by. With nothing really happening along the way only the excitement of getting home carries me through.

[​IMG]

Another vanity plate...

[​IMG]

...or two.

[​IMG]

One last bridge shot.

[​IMG]

As I approach the Massachusetts boarder the sky starts to get a bit dark. Thinking about my mom, who you may recall said she'd be praying for good weather I say inside my helmet, "She must've stopped praying thinking I'm just about home..."

Sure enough. Eventually a drop or two starts to hit me. Before too long it's the real deal. Nothing too bad - just enough to get the spray going off the road. No worries. After about an hour or so it tapers off to nothing.

[​IMG]

Finally reaching New Hampshire I stop and take out the camera I had tucked away when the rain started. Not too much further to go now.

Arriving at the EvilClown compound, I'm greeted by the DCSR as I slowly climb off the bike. Eventually, our daughter comes out as well. Group hug!

[​IMG]

After a little bit of time to get in the door and catch up we sit down to a fantastic home cooked meal. It's great to be home!

[​IMG]

Thank you once again, Don, for making it happen! It was great planning, riding and sharing the memories with you!

Obviously, none of this would have been possible without the full support of the DCSR and my family back home. Thank you!

Thanks to all the readers - particularly those who have patiently seen it through to the end. Now that it's finally done it's time for another road trip I guess...

And thanks, Mom, for my only stat: 21 days and only 2 1/2 hours of rain!
  6. Mileater

Mileater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right behind you into the driveway :lol3.

Thanks to both of you for a very fine RR - most enjoyable. :clap:clap

Lookin' forward to the next one, guys.

Cheers :freaky
    ALlan
  7. drakehouse

drakehouse Burnin' & Turnin'

Oddometer:
    Pruned up from swiming in the sea of life
    Your wall map of the trip will make quite a momento for years to come as you review and retell your story to friends and neighbors.
    Thanks for taking the time to share with us here too.
  8. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    A most enjoyable and engaging Ride Report. :thumb And you both wrapped it up in time to plan another. :lol3

Don, I am saddened at the loss of all the pics you posted up. I know these things take a lot of time to put together. I am just happy I was following along and didn't miss any of them.

SO, WHERE ARE WE GOING NEXT? :D
  9. Joe?

Joe? ... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just stumbled across this, what an amazing trip. It took me 3 days just to read it front to back (while the boss wasn't looking, of course).

Don, EC great ride report and pictures. Thanks for taking us along. It's definitely the kick in the rear I need to start planning a trip of my own.

EC- how does that V1 work mounted on a fully tinted windshield like that? Any problems with the rain?

Thanks again!
  10. EvilClown

Oddometer:
    Hi, Joe! You brought this back from a long nap.:lol3

V1 works great. Used to use audio with it but lately depend on just the visual. Typically not a problem with rain unless it's fairly heavy. Freaks it out a bit then but at that point the V! isn't usually needed. Once it dries a bit it's fine.

Thanks for stopping in.
  11. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mike check your PM's. There is a celebrity headed your way.
  12. DonnieUtah

DonnieUtah canyon monkey

Oddometer:
    Wow, finally finished this thread after about a week. Easily the most comprehesive, detailed, and downright fun report I've every read. Thank you so much for taking the time to document and share guys!!