If you are riding through Japan ...

Discussion in 'Asia' started by panhead_pete, Jul 1, 2015.

1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete Gone riding

Oddometer:
    If you are traveling through Japan on an ADV ride from or to other countries and you get to Hakuba in Nagano Prefecture I'll buy you a feed and the 1st beer at my bar "Lucky Pete's" at the Railway Station and give you and your bike a safe place to stay the night free. It may be on the floor of the bar or by the pool table on a futon, depending on what's happening on the day.

Here's a pic of a couple Aussies and a Kiwi who took me up on the offer on their way to Russia in June. :)

[​IMG]

All other riders get a 5% discount on food and drinks if you turn up on a bike but please note I am not in the accommodation game, just willing to help out where I can.

Cheers
    Pete
    Maddin and grandelatte like this.
  2. Lighterknot

Lighterknot n00b

Oddometer:
    What do you know about the riding opportunities on Okinawa?
  3. panhead_pete

panhead_pete Gone riding

Oddometer:
    What do you need to know Lighterknot? Today not so good down there as they are getting smashed by a Typoon. Outside of that many bikes down there as I understand it with a lot of US serviceman having rides.
  4. Lighterknot

Lighterknot n00b

Oddometer:
    I'll be a resident there pretty soon and was just wondering if there are good places to ride off pavement.
  5. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

I'll have to swing through and say hi when my bikes get here, I'm over by Yokohama so I don't get the international travler discount:lol3
  6. panhead_pete

panhead_pete Gone riding

Oddometer:
    Dont fret we'll look after you and any ADV members :) You are most likely all over it but see my comment below re bringing bikes into Japan. Got a mate here that has a bike that will now end up a track bike...

Here's a link to a forum that might be of help, sorry I cant help more with that sort of info. If you are bringing a bike later than 1999 look into it in detail. Not an easy or cheap process to get them on the road here by all accounts.

http://www.ggok.com/bbs/index.php?action=forum
  7. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Yeah I know Im looking at 450000 to 500000 yen to get legal.
  8. VACommuter

VACommuter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any idea where I can find specific information about sidecar rigs in Japan? I have seen conflicting information that they are treated as cars and treated as motorcycles. I have a tentative job offer that puts me in Yokosuka in November.

VAC
  9. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    There is a guy near me that has a hacked Electro-glide I'll hit him up.

......as a word of warning, you are in for hell getting anything newer than Sep 2013 registered here.
  10. panhead_pete

panhead_pete Gone riding

Oddometer:
    Just bumping this as the northern riding season is upon us - happy to look after any ADV members passing through :)
  11. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    May be passing through there next Sunday Monday. Have a coast to coast ride that goes though Nagano
  12. panhead_pete

panhead_pete Gone riding

Oddometer:
    Already had the 1st of what may be a few guys swing through onto Europe via Russia and back through this way

Cad is riding a 1978 Suzuki GS850 originally from Canada shipped to Korea and heading home via Russia Europe and Scandanavia

[​IMG]

Proves once again you don't need the latest ADV style bike to get out there and have some fun - he is now deep in Russia being led astray by the locals

As usual we looked after him as best we can with a bed and a feed and will do the same for anyone doing multi country trips on top of the discounts we have for all bike riders :)

Japan is an epic riding country with everything from tight ST up in the mountains and rindos (dirt roads) to mega highways - The people are friendly and the food delicious :

Here's some pics from yesterday's local ride

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once again if anyone is headed this way reach out and I'll do all I can to assist
    AdvenatureMOTO and Bunyip1260 like this.
  13. VACommuter

VACommuter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pete, started to head up there from Yokosuka for lunch at 0800. Traffic absolutely sucked so I turned around. I guess I need to start earlier! Post up some food pictures...

VAC
  14. VACommuter

VACommuter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will be in Hakuba on 29 May. I plan on swinging by to check out the menu. I'll be the surly American on the old Africa Twin.
  15. VACommuter

VACommuter Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_4587.JPG
    Hooray! I made it.
    IMG_4588.JPG
    Doh! I didn't get the memo. Maybe next time.
    AdvenatureMOTO and grandelatte like this.
  16. panhead_pete

panhead_pete Gone riding

Oddometer:
    Sorry mate. Was away on our honeymoon. Bummer to have missed you :(
  17. Blakduk

Blakduk Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    @panhead_pete I posted up some stuff in your Oz CT110 thread.
    Update: Have hired a CB400 and a GSR400 in Osaka. Comes about AUD$600 for 8 days each, with topboxes, phone holder + USB. There were some much bigger bikes, but hey, I thought 10 HP more than my FE450 would be enough on mountain roads....? Heading into Mia and Wakayama (Koyasan), then probably Shikoku. Then back towards Tottori I guess. I'm going to look on google maps with satellite view, and anything looking green and mountainous I'm going to booking.com and wander around on the bikes semi-lost all day until we reach the accomodation.
    Any suggestions?
    grandelatte likes this.