~ if you financed through bmw, read this ~

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Sig, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Sig

Sig dtown

Oddometer:
    I thought I would just reprint this instead of messing with multiple links...

-----Original Message-----
    From: Ted Verrill - Webmaster BMW MOA [mailto:webmaster@bmwmoa.org]
    Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 7:36 PM
    To: eMOA
    Subject: Important BMW MOA Broadcast

Hello BMW MOA Chartered Club, the following is from BMW NA. We are trying to reach as many members as possible and are hoping to get this out in time to be posted on Club websites and placed in newsletters.

Please do not hesitate to give me a shout with any questions!

Ted Verrill
    eMOA Webmaster
    BMW MOA Board of Directors

------
    <b>Hello BMW Riders:

I am writing this note to circumvent what could be a future headache.

If a BMW bike is financed by BMW FS, a letter of permission needs to be granted by FS so that the bike can leave the country. This directly affects the MOA rally to be held on July 11-14 in Trenton, Ontario.

1). Each individual customer has to request a letter via 800-578-5000.

2) . Customer has to provide a proof of insurance, as well as a the dates of travel and the general route.

3). BMW FS will send them a letter of permission and a copy of the title. (probably a notarized photocopy). Terms of letter will reflect the information that the customer provided.

Regards,

Marty Roach
    BMW Motorcycles</b>

UPDATE: 4/26/02
    Well I spoke with BMW FS today. It is a Insurance Issue more than anything. BMW wants proof that the finance of the motorcycle or car is covered by their insurance carrier to operate the vehicle outside the bounderies of the US. FS states that many insurance policies for motorcycles do not include operating in Canada therefor they felt obligated to reqiured this information from individuals who finaced through BMW FS.

You will need two items for BMW FS.

Each individual customer has to request a letter via 800-578-5000. You may Fax the information after contacting a representitve.

1) Customer has to provide a proof of insurance, stating vehicle is insured for Canada, (2) as well as the dates of travel and the general route.

BMW FS will send a letter of permission and a copy of the title, (probably a notarized photocopy). Terms of letter will reflect the information that the customer provided.

They expect to be very busy processing these request. Check your insurance information and submit this with your intended route of travel inside Canada as soon as possible.

Kevin
    Four Winds BMW Riders

from http://potassium.synclogic.net/ubbt...=44246&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=
  2. GoFasterPB

GoFasterPB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ::drudges up old thread::

I'm about to take a month long trip to Mexico and in the process of getting my travel permission letter since my 800GS is still partially financed. Our itinerary is for 30 days, but I want to leave some cushion to be safe. I called up the bank and the rep from BMW said "you can specify however long you want in your request, but BMWFS doesn't approve requests for travel longer than 30 days."

Is this true?

Has anyone managed to get a permission letter for a longer period (or know the penalty if you go over? :wink:)
  3. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    If you're riding to MX, simply use your State vehicle registration. No title is needed.
  4. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    Mexico! :yikes