If you havnt grown up by 50, then you dont have to......

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Fabnut, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently rang an old mate of mine who's Mum had died to offer my condolences, & which led to a bit of an impromptu but not unexpected catch up, as we hadnt spoken for a little while......pity it had to take the death of someone to prompt it, but thats another story.
    During our conversation, he asked me if I was still riding dirt bikes & i said 'yeah of course, its in my blood, you know me'...he had bit of a laugh & then said......'mate, when are you gonna grow up & give the bikes away, your over 50 FFS'. :fpalm

Ive reflected on that conversation a lot over the last few months & was disappointed that an old dirt biker like himself would look at riding motorcycles as a less than desirable pass time for us over 50's folk, so rather than buy into his not so subtle suggestion for a more sedentary lifestyle, my thoughts kept returning instead to just how short life really is, how much more Id still really would like to do & most definitely not what I shouldn't be doing.

The driving force tho behind my resistance to ol mates quiescent advice, was the fact that Ive actually never enjoyed riding motorbikes so much as Ive done over the last 6 years or so, especially since getting involved with adventure riding.
    Ive been at it now for 40 odd years, starting way back on my little ol YZ80c as a 12 yo lad, so yeah, Im a busted arse dirt biker from way back..... but more to the point, if it keeps getting better as I get older, why stop now.

So......... if Im acting a bit less responsible than what society would expect from an early 50's gent, as ol mate seems to be eluding to, I really dont give a shit.
    Ive raised my 2 kids, paid my mortgages, worked like a dog my whole life & in those regards, Ive fulfilled my duties & paid my dues.
    My kids now grown up themselves & having ushered them off into the world, Ive finally managed to reclaim the Bank OF Dad & renamed it the Bank FOR Dad, so this little black duck can have even more motorbike fun............just to really stick it up ol mate. :lol3:lol3:lol3

Growing old may be compulsory, but growing up is optional........ride on.
    motofshr, Kona990, dino702 and 45 others like this.
  2. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy as that dog with two dicks huh :lol3

Me too :thumb

Fuck em all, its your life :D
  3. rider911

rider911 Shortcut Navigator

Oddometer:
    I think that most people just dont GET the enjoyment of motorcycles, especially dirt biking. We know there is nothing like it!

The world is also getting over run with softcocks, not so long ago in big industry you had to mitigate the danger of a potential fall from anything over 2m, now its "from one level to another". I often laugh to myself after a safety spiel, these dickheads would have a coronary if they saw what we do on the weekend.
  4. Newportcycle

Newportcycle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The safety Nazi's are everywhere here most don't qualify as "softcocks", bloody eunuchs the lot. Ride on I've met plenty riding into their 70's and 80's, better to die with your boots on.
  5. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3 ahh that old chestnut......keeps turning up like a bad rash since it slipped out. ooops

well said
    nk14zp likes this.
  6. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the way you think runt boy. I just turned 66 and I am still going strong, slower but still strong. I started riding in 1963 or 1964 also on a Yamaha 80. Ride On.
    Wodger63, Fabnut and nk14zp like this.
  7. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    One or both?
    Fabnut likes this.
  8. Dorsland

Dorsland Long timer

Oddometer:
    A guy that was at school with me was 60 when he was 30 if you get what I'm saying. Some people are born permanently and terminally afraid of life.

I've been self employed for the larger portion of my life, most of that as a farmer. I built this up with nothing, not inherited. I have succeeded - sometimes beyond my wildest dreams - at ventures when almost everyone told me I was crazy and wouldn't make it. There have been nights I've lain in bed thinking to myself "what the hell have you done now". I've been without an income 3 times in my working life. I've sold bikes, trucks and other assets I really would've preferred to have kept.

At 56, I ride slower than before, but as per the OP's statement, I enjoy it more than ever. I am more aware that I don't bounce as high as I used to. Also that being incapacitated is a VERY damaging state for me and my business. Of my friends from my younger years, only 1 still rides. The rest that I know of are either pussy whipped, professional couch potatoes or looking forward to retirement and an early release from life.

I still am astounded how life sucks the energy and zest from most people. How mundane the majority of people allow their lives to become.

I am planning on riding until I damn well cannot swing a leg over a bike any longer. Even then I may still aim a kick at the world's nuts.
  9. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone over 50 and still riding is probably a wee bit short of a full deck. But hey, it's their life.
    roookie1, Motorius and AliveDK like this.
  10. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dirt riding bug never bit me but been riding on the streets now for over 30 years and last year was my highest mileage year ever at 22,503 miles. I've slowed my pace some from my younger days but get more smiles per gallon than I ever used to. Quit riding? Maybe when I quit breathing.

55 years young and still look in the mirror trying to figure out where that old fart staring back at me came from. To be old and wise one must first be young and foolish.
  11. enduro16

enduro16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    20180125_120257.jpg All we have is a present moment, enjoy it my friends, live good, do what you want, not what somebody else tells you to do...
  12. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah both :lol3:lol3:lol3
    nk14zp likes this.
  13. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm just the opposite. Had mini bikes then a dirtbike as a teenager then lost interest until about age 41 and got a yz250. Was in a bad truck wreck at 43 and decided to sell the yz. At 48 I got a KLR650 and my mc license so I didn't have to haul the bike to the trail. Then a FXRT but never got into riding it much because of the ergonomics and past injuries. Just last fall I got a KTM950Adv at 52. Now I'm starting to enjoy riding on the road. I got the KTM for trails but wow it sure is fun on the pavement.
    enduro16, DesertSurfer and Fabnut like this.
  14. ctfz1

ctfz1 been there

Oddometer:
    Golf, tennis, swimming, travel, work are all regarded as healthy for older (+50 or 60) people. Even skiing gets a pass.
    Do not understand. I'm outliving people who "grew up." Bored to death? Genetic lotto?
    Chuck Yeager flew and hiked as long as he could. I like that.
    I know of nothing as satisfying as a motorcycle ride. (except..) I ache afterwards. Worth it. I'm only 68.
    I am less inclined to ah excess. I think. Possibly.

I guess I rate nay sayers with couch potatoes. Or money obsessives.
  15. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    68, thats the spirit.........Plenty a good tune been played on an old fiddle ctfz1 :lol3
  16. ctfz1

ctfz1 been there

Oddometer:
    Like to think so. I ride with some older riders. Encouraging.
  17. chevtech

chevtech Long timer

Oddometer:
    Simple truth is those people that "grew up" are pussies, who bent to their wife, social pressure, or lack of skill/motivation. Every single one of them hate those that never let their passion die, as it reminds them of how much they are missing.

:2cry

It's so much easier to tell people to "grow up" than it is to admit your life is now devoid of the passion that used to bring you so much joy, and you have allowed yourself to become a spectator instead of a participant! Simple psychology, get used to it, surround yourself with passionate people and RIDE ON BROTHER!

:wings:bow:jkam:rayof

Todd
  18. mississippimadman

mississippimadman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20180125-085223.jpg
    You are never too old
    bomose, Velociraptor, nk14zp and 9 others like this.
  19. mississippimadman

mississippimadman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20180125-084957.jpg
    This guy is almost 100 and still goes on adventures

Or at least he did when the pic was taken
  20. B33P33

B33P33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a nice "humpback" bridge leaving my town, just as you Short Shift into 3rd you get a brilliant wheelie as you crest it. My wife was coming in to town one day.....well you get the picture
    "WHAT BLOODY AGE ARE YOU ? OR MORE TO THE POINT, WHAT BLOODY AGE DO YOU THINK YOU ARE" ? She demanded. "You should be setting an example by now" !!!
    "I am" I said ✊

PS I'm 50 too.....wait, 51 in April