If you want dirt, YOU GOT IT!!!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 23, 2021.

1. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    There may or may not have been a recent JM sighting... I can't be sure, but the coveralls and Adjustafork looked oddly familiar... 20210924_195334.jpg
    Foiler, advrockrider, liv2day and 2 others like this.
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    OK you a-holes, let’s get started.

First off, let me remind you of this ROOST SCRIPTURE:
    Purity is found through the real thing; ROOSTING. Verbal diarrhea about roosting will never reach that level of consciousness.
    In other words, riding always takes precedence over rambling on ADVtalker, which is what we've been doing instead of being loud mouths here.

Although many of you idiots know the drill with the ADV-Fundamentalist movement (and still seem to tune in! WTF is wrong with you?!), this prologue should include something for the new reader.

What we do: Ride dirt. Lots of dirt. As much dirt as possible. Avoid pavement.
    Why? This is where the action is.

What we do: Travel light with as few possessions as possible.
    Why? Maximum roosting potential. In the dirt, of course. Go to places others can’t get to. Because we don't want to see you.

What we do: Camp in the dirt. Sleep under the stars.
    Why? For the purity of it and because we are too cheap to spend $ on hotels.

What we do: Cook meals over fire.
    Why? Have you had a steak cooked over wood out in BFE?!?! And again, for the purity. And also, because we’re cheap. And lastly, perhaps convince another fool to buy an Adjustafork.

What we do: Tell tales of glory on AdventureTalker.
    Why? Amusement when NOT on the trail. Maybe open some eyes to what is important in life. (more on that as we go)

Once more, for a full understanding of Adventure Rider Fundamentalism, I point the reader HERE. Now we begin the story.
    Ginger Beard, Foiler, Ferd and 17 others like this.
  3. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    DAY 1: The ride commences.

My good buddy Wally was over for dinner. I told him I was planning on hopping on the bike and climbing over the hills to go meet Elder Drey Dog and ride for a number of days. Wally wanted to ride over with me then return home that same day. Cool. He was at my place at 9am the next morning. We were on the 500s.
    E8130EE9-A1A0-4E99-A549-8494D90A94F4.jpeg
  4. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    And?
    mtnbikeboy likes this.
  5. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Funny guy aren’t you @joenuclear. I’m sifting through some photos you MFr, and trying to piece this together. Kinda slow since I don’t spend every hour of the day on this website.
  6. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    :-)

Well I'm stuck at home with a brand new bike and nowhere to go as my wife is ill so I'm giving you a hard time trying to get you to catch up on your RR
    Deal with it.
  7. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    "In other words, riding always takes precedence over rambling on ADVtalker. "

Omg this should be a sticky in all ride reports !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ferd, GringoRider and borderlinebob like this.
  8. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This must be a "killer" ride in Joe's yard!!! 3 pages and STILL NO DIRT!!!! Unless you are calling your grass dirt this time...

I thought Wally had a 790? Did he ditch it for the ultimate roost machine?

Jonathan
  9. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    “It is easier to drive a camel through the eye of a needle than hurry the prophet in creating scripture.”
    Book of Throttles, 7:12
    Ginger Beard, Ferd, DCrider and 16 others like this.
  10. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Many are over anxious. Speaking only for myself, those of us with no life are eager to hop aboard the coattails of those who have one. Of course, many, like me, also need an occasional Utah fix to keep the faith.
    thegraydog, Foiler, pigjockey and 3 others like this.
  11. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    "And in a dream, the prophet saw the eternal tree of roost isolated in desert wasteland, and the prophet was uplifted by the dream, knowing when trudging the road to the tree of eternal roost, one must keep a tight hold of the rod of iron, and ignore the besotted infidels."

Book of Throttles, 3:12
    TheAdmiral, Kyron and Joe Motocross like this.
  12. NCJ

NCJ Ruoy Ratava

Oddometer:
    As one who rarely leaves home without a toothbrush, a towel, and a parachute, I bow to your rogueish style and bacon wrapped chicken tenders. :lurk
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Well, that depends on your priorities. Some may find it more important to run their mouths. This is another reason that we have defined ADV-Fundamentalism to differ from standard Adventure Riders. Fundamentalist hold riding first.
    Foiler, Ferd, theailer and 2 others like this.
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Holy shit man, this was a KILLER RIDE!!! It really came together with absolutely zero planning. Just how we like it.

Wally owns both machines.
    Ginger Beard, Foiler, Ferd and 3 others like this.
  15. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Book of Throttles....... I should give you fools more credit than I do. Solid. Thank you. Some very good roost scripture there.
  16. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    It rained the day before we took off. It’s noteworthy that there had been some quite heavy monsoon rains over the last month. This would end up being a consistent theme during the journey. The most recent rain didn’t add up to much but was enough to perhaps muck things up enough to cause us problems as we attempted to climb over the mountain range.
    20210919a - 1.jpeg

We reached our maximum elevation of about 10,500’ with no significant grease. This was a good sign that we would probably have fairly easy travel.
    20210919a - 2.jpeg

Meanwhile, Drey Dog left his house some 260 miles away. He was on his 5hundy also. He was making his way through obscure terrain.
    20210919a - 3.jpeg

Wally and I dropped off the east side of the range onto a quad trail. Conditions were about perfect. Damp packed dirt. Just a little greasy in a few spots.
    20210919a - 4.jpeg

I had just gotten my suspension back from Superplush. If you haven’t had your suspension professionally tuned, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it. It should be your first priority when getting a new bike. It is the most important mod to do. Even more important than graphics. Anyway, I forgot to tighten the pinch bolts on my forks. I launched off a water bar and KERSLAM!! I was like, holy crap, better check some settings. We stopped and Wally asked why I had my fork tubes slid so far through the triple clamps. My reply, “because I’m a dumbass”. We got the bike onto a log, pulled the forks back down and tightened the bolts except for the two that were missing.
    20210919a - 5.jpeg
  17. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love it!! Not even through the first day and already missing important bolts!!

Jonathan
  18. NAVIGATOR

NAVIGATOR Wanderer

Oddometer:
    SOUTH OF THE USA BORDER(friendlier Mexico)
    ^^^^^^^^^
    maybe it´s part of the fundamentalism creed, less bolts to worry about!!!! (but tight them correctly please)
  19. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    There were definitely sections of mud that we had to negotiate. We were crossing our fingers that things wouldn’t get worse as we descended into the narrow canyon.
    20210919b - 1.jpeg

The Forest Service wooden pathway across a notorious section of trail that is always muddy. I have mixed feelings about this stuff. Removes the challenge of getting through but does keep the trail rideable.
    20210919b - 2.jpeg

We got down to the narrowest spot in the canyon and were feeling good that the mud wasn’t going to turn us around.
    20210919b - 3.jpeg

Success. This was the apex of Wally’s day ride. There was something wrong with his bike though. It actually wasn’t his anymore either. He’d sold it to one of our buddies. It was eating batteries. At this point, the battery was basically dead. These bikes don’t run too well with a dead battery. Not like the older bikes where you can run the bike without a battery. With these new bikes it’s best to carry a decent size capacitor so you can eliminate the battery in a pinch. He sputtered back over the mountain. He didn’t have a capacitor and I couldn’t part with mine. Good luck Wally!! :flip
    20210919b - 4.jpeg
  20. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What do the beavers think of that bridge?

Jonathan
    pigjockey and liv2day like this.