If you want dirt, YOU GOT IT!!!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 23, 2021.

1. GringoRider

GringoRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting, Mike over at Taco Moto says they always install a capacitor in the airbox on all 500s because of that. It'll provide enough juice to keep the fuel pump running. Also says the stock battery is prone to failure.
    ¡¡Have fun Joe!!
    Foiler and Joe Motocross like this.
  2. imnothng

imnothng Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This happened to me just a few weeks ago. I was racing a 1hr MX/XC race and my front suspension felt insanely hard. I had just taken the forks apart a few days before to clean the seals and change the fluid. So stupid me just thought maybe I didn't put the air gap right and that's why it felt so off. I was bench racing with a buddy after the race when he glanced over at my bike and pointed my fork out. I should note too, that only one of the bottom bolts was actually tight.

IMG_3572.jpg
    Ginger Beard, Foiler, slogger and 6 others like this.
  3. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Need to refresh my geography intel a bit, but is that part of UT in the greater Columbia basin @Joe Motocross? Asking as I wonder about that mud you guys hit - doesn't look to be the same gumbo mud from hell we get in SE Oregon, but maybe? Effin' hate that stuff.

4 pages in and have already laughed too many times to count whilst enjoying the pics of riding through the terrain you have out your door Joe. Book of Throttles...brilliant from the nutters who follow you rambling BS.

One of these days amigo - need to drink some crow coffee around a fire after skewering something on the adjusta the night before. I just started the next chapter of my life, like officially, think it's time to make that happen.

Look forward to the next installment.
  4. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    No, this is mountains of central Utah. One side drains west into the desert, the other into the Colorado.

OK man, here's the deal. One reason we ride is to make the best of every minute we're on this planet. Never know how long that will last. Or perhaps at one point a person might not be able to physically ride anymore for one reason or another. Ride. Now. Before it's too late. I cram in as much as possible even if it seems I should be doing other productive things. In the end it always works out where I don't ever think "crap, I shouldn't have gone for that ride, I should've spent that time at work/fixing the house/mowing the lawn/etc. And I also find that after a ride, I tackle those mundane life tasks much better and more enthusiastic than I would have had I not ridden. This is all part of the ADV-F lifestyle. Live to ride, ride to live. The ride ultimately makes you a better person in so many unanticipated ways.
  5. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    About the time I left Wally, I realized it was Sunday. That meant no grocery store would be open for me to get supplies. Shit. I was picturing a gas station scavenger meal. Well, to my surprise, there was a store in the first town I rolled into that was open. This particular store was completely closed down not all that long ago so this really was not anticipated especially on a Sunday. There was a full grocery store inside. Perfect. I grabbed a steak.
    20210919c - 1.jpeg

100 miles away or so, Drey Dog continued working north through old ranch land.
    20210919c - 2.jpeg

He intersected a set of power lines and started throttling along the service road.
    20210919c - 3.jpeg

I hit the same powerlines 30 miles upstream and grabbed the service road. Power line service roads can be quite handy when you are actually trying to make it from point A to point B in a direct route.
    20210919c - 4.jpeg

ROOST SCRIPTURE:
    I will ascend above the heights of the clouds;
    I will make myself the Most High.

While often these service roads are straight and fast, there usually are sections that have plenty of action! I flew off some sort of random feature and thought, man, that might make for a decent photo so I hit it again (a little harder) after setting up my camera.
    20210919c - 5.jpeg
  6. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    D31BD4B6-72B9-4563-9C6A-5623E1EEBA23.jpeg
    Catching that airtime in one take is pure fundamentalists shit right there.
  7. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    flying.moto and dano619 like this.
  8. Osadabwa

Osadabwa Don't be Surprised

Oddometer:
    Hey Wally, get yerself an XR650R and laugh at anybody who wants to talk about capacitors and batteries! For the price of whatever you plan to buy in that lovely orange color, you can get 2 of them pre-pimped!

Roost Scripture must have something to say about reliability of steed, no? Hey @Joe ?

Where's that "stir the pot" emoji...?

Also... awesome stuff, keep going, roost and launch, etc etc etc
  9. SlowerThanYou

SlowerThanYou can confirm Supporter

Oddometer:
    I need to see some meat on fire, skewered by a mini pitchfork, over bright orange embers soon. Just the essentials for survival enjoyment.
    GringoRider likes this.
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Yeah buddy!! I expect nothing less from you. Matter of fact, I'd be disappointed if you went against your own pig sect of ADV-F. XRs rock. Period. KTM, gay.
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    You know it's coming.
  12. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Drey Dog made it to town about 10 minutes before me. Timing couldn’t have been any better if we would’ve planned it. We took a break in Missile Park. The town was just cleaning up from Melon Daze which had climaxed the night before. We searched Drey Dog’s extra nuts and bolts and found two that would work for my missing pinch bolts. We discussed which direction we wanted to ride. The reader should take note of the spartan amount of gear on the bikes. This is how it's done if you want to really ride hard.
    20210919d - 1.jpeg

The Melon Daze festival may have been a thing of the past but the melons were still very much a current thing. I grabbed an Israeli from one of the local growers. Top notch. Lots fuel right there for the afternoon session.
    20210919d - 2.jpeg

Like I said, the recent heavy monsoon rain storms will play a role throughout this story. Ground Zero was about a hundred miles to our south. We wanted to go see the destruction for ourselves so we rode that direction.
    20210919d - 3.jpeg

We got onto one of our routes that we utilize often. It’s a good one because you can cover some ground and it has plenty of action to satisfy.
    20210919d - 4.jpeg

Nice sections of smooth two-track with sweeping sandy corners that you drift through in a controlled accelerating slide.
    20210919d - 5.jpeg

The big rain was about 2 and a half weeks prior. The river flows had dropped back to their ridiculously light trickles. This can be misleading to the unseasoned desert rider. Quicksand is for real and after so much water you’ll find it weeks after everything else dries out. River banks and the bottoms of washes are suspect. This particular crossing had no threat. We would find the opposite soon.
    20210919d - 6.jpeg
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Today is the sabbath and I'm sitting here at my house sipping croffee getting inspiration to type more on this tale. I'm repenting for not being on the trail the last few days. There really is no single day of the week that the ADV-F religion states should be used as a rest day. Sundays are fine but many who follow the ADV-F lifestyle find themselves riding on Sundays. This is a very convenient aspect of the religion since you can basically take a worship/rest day most anytime you feel you need it and no one is going to look at you cross for not being at church on Sundays.
    D825A4B4-FD6D-4776-BDFA-8AD9D41661AA.jpeg
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    What we were noticing about the floods was that basically every road that passed through or followed a wash or drainage was completely wiped out and erased. Haven’t seen this for a few years now. We followed a wash upstream that once contained a “road”.
    20210919e - 1.jpeg

We got onto a section of sandstone.
    20210919e - 2.jpeg

It traversed along a bench for a bit.
    20210919e - 3.jpeg

Soon we were back onto old graded roads. We decided to explore this one that cut off from the more well used road we’d been following. Looks like this one may disappear soon unless it sees some more travelers.
    20210919e - 4.jpeg

The route was faint and we lost it here. We sniffed around looking for clues to which direction it went.
    20210919e - 5.jpeg

Back on track. The route was really overgrown with large clumps of vegetation popping up in the old grader cut making travel slow.
    20210919e - 6.jpeg

We had checked the weather forecast earlier and were expecting some strong wind. Our plan was to endure it and seek a sheltered campsite. I had an area in mind where we could hunker down in some tight canyons in hopes of not getting sandblasted. In the meantime, the wind was blasting sand everywhere! Sand ripples were forming on the wash bed which had just flooded not long ago.
    20210919e - 7.jpeg

This dude can ride. He is probably the most bad ass rider that I know who is willing to go out and ride hard and sleep in the dirt for multiple days at a time. This means that we often get into some intense riding situations when we are out on the trail together. Often we tend to push it farther than we should. We seek these situations. It feeds us.

ROOST SCRIPTURE:
    Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trail trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your roost faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete with throttle, clutch and brake, lacking in nothing.
    Book of Throttles
    20210919e - 8.jpeg
  15. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing the stories of your trek. I was down near your area recently and had a minor fall during the COTAH rally. Unfortunately, I broke my leg. I enjoy reading your accounts as I am bed ridden and look forward to getting back out there soon. Keep it up!
    Ginger Beard, Foiler, liv2day and 3 others like this.
  16. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Wtf happened to your head. 045A9735-2534-499D-9AB4-1345642218FE.jpeg
    theailer and pigjockey like this.
  17. Big Sky 777

Big Sky 777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Joe and followers: I’ve blundered into this Nirvana of ADV-F bliss and feel at home. In the Old Testament, Book of Pre-Mix, the 2-stroke is the sword of the true believer. The 20lb weight difference allows for chair, cot, mini-fridge, espresso machine, bean bag chair(for millennials) if one wants to sin. Am I alone here? 8C863337-1CF7-40CB-903D-1313EF74DD61.jpeg
  18. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spot on amigo, most assuredly so. Just returned from a backpacking trip in the Mt. Jefferson wilderness; though not riding, it's the next best thing for me - easier logistics wise as I have a dog and a "parenting" schedule.

And your words ring truer than you can imagine my friend. Don't plan to get sappy or divulge too much given this medium, but suffice to say being officially single after close to 20 years and a seriously f*cked up divorce that was no idea of mine; I'm better on the other side. I've come to embrace the concept that we're not getting out of this life alive. I met an 80-year old hiking into the lake I was hiking out of today - talk about an inspiration. When I can't throw a leg oer or keep a pack on my back, shoot me. Seriously.

All the jabbering and profit stuff that gets tossed about in your threads - what you posted above should be "in stone" IMO. It's much akin to the RR @Scribe posted earlier this year about doing the CDT solo.

Just hit 50 a month ago and would never have considered life looking as it does today. My riding might not be as much as I desire at this stage, but I'm filling my glass with pieces of nature most don't get or even understand. And when my ticket gets punched out of this life, I don't plan to have any regrets - whether astride 2-wheels, a pack on my back, or a game of cribbage and a glass of whisky.

Now it's time to catch up on your nonsense...LOL.
  19. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Camera shadow.

Nice sunrise over Desert Disneyland. Nope, not alone. Presiding High Council member Archduke @Buuurrrt has run a two stroke adventure bike. He claims "half the strokes, twice the adventure". While not ideal for many reasons, the rule is "ride what you got and make it work". Back in the day when I was a starving ski bum I rode a $200 Yamaha DT175 with a backpack. It got the job done.

Thanks for sharing @liv2day. Your handle is the mantra. "Roosting" can be used as an analogy for any activity that a person is interested in. More ADV riders should backpack to learn the ways of going light. Bottom line, do what pleases you before it's too late. We roost to help live a stress free life. Stress is bad. Roosting is good. Look forward to crossing paths with you at some point. Maybe out in Nevada.
  20. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We stopped and observed a livestock fence that had been destroyed in the flood. Guess we don’t need to worry about opening and closing that gate for a while.
    20210919f - 1.jpeg

This is one of those images that really portrays a rider with a fistful of throttle. We were going completely ape-shit in these smooth virgin washes and I think the reader can almost feel the intensity of what was going on through this photo.
    20210919f - 2.jpeg

We worked our way up the wash and climbed an old beat up washed out dugway. Up on top we were checking out some sheltered sites to camp.
    20210919f - 3.jpeg

The wind was a bit too strong so we descended back into the canyon. We decided to collect a little firewood and see if the wind would calm down. We were sheltered here out of the wind but wanted to camp on the slickrock on the next bench up from us. We kicked back for a bit to see how things would play out. Drey Dog made use of his "chair".
    20210919f - 4.jpeg

After a few sips of whiskey we determined that the wind was slowing so we climbed back up to the slickrock bench and made camp and then had a few more sips of whiskey.
    20210919f - 5.jpeg

We hiked back down and made a litter out of the bundle of firewood and a long branch for a pole. Then each of us threw an end of the pole on our shoulder and hiked the litter up to camp.
    20210919f - 6.jpeg

The wind continued to lay down and the moon came up. Temps were mild. Things couldn’t have played out better. The first day of riding was a complete success.
    20210919f - 7.jpeg

After a good amount of blah blah blah, it was time to put the steaks on. I was running an Adjustafork 2.0. This is a trimmed down version of the original Adjustafork 4.0. I wouldn’t say the 2.0 is a replacement for the 4.0 but it has its place for those who are looking for something really small that might not get used every night. I had a potato chowder that I had been fiddling with while overserving myself Old Crow.
    Potato
    Onion
    Carrot
    Jalapeno
    Powdered broccoli cheddar soup mix
    Cook veggies in water on the coals until soft. Add some soup mix. Place near the fire again but not directly on coals. You want mild heat as the soup thickens. Best to start this early before too much Crow is ingested.
    20210919f - 8.jpeg

If you’re not drooling over this meal the ADV-Fundamentalist either the lifestyle is probably not for you or you prefer tofu. Don't laugh, got at least one vegetarian on the Presiding High Council.
    20210919f - 9.jpeg