If you want dirt, YOU GOT IT!!!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    True dat. Shit is erased! And yes, that’s a bit of a conundrum, cold beer or no side by sides. OK, no side by sides. We usually have hot Crow that can be substituted for cold beer.
    Foiler, flying.moto, DCZ and 5 others like this.
  2. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Well, I’ll be!!! We kicked at the lip a little bit so it wasn’t quite so abrupt and with a quick flick of the throttle we popped up! Nice! Turning around and backtracking is always part of the deal but I still don’t like it.
    20210920d - 1.jpeg
  3. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ well played sir, well played.
    flying.moto and liv2day like this.
  4. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    F*ckin' love it.

And the previous post of you nutballs walking your bikes down that cliff...awesome.

Have been thinking hard on my next DS; really enjoy the WR platform as it's rock solid and does a good job all the way around. That is, until you need to get the front lofted to get over something or that extra oomph whilst climbing (especially at elevation).

Look forward to the next installment @Joe Motocross; the cold, rainy, dark days are moving into the PNW and my backpacking trips will become far more sporadic. Need your bullshit to keep me sane :lol2 :lol2 :lol2
  5. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Go for a new XC-W. Lighter than the WR, way more power, way more performance. That said, the WR is a solid workhorse even if it's a bit of a under-powered dinosaur. There is no shame in riding a machine that gets the job done.
    Ginger Beard, Foiler, DCrider and 4 others like this.
  6. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    It was time to think about supplies and fuel. We headed for town. We bumped into a group of fellow ADV riders. I forgot to snap a photo of them. We chatted briefly. Seems like they were new to the area and were out exploring but having a hard time finding roads/routes/trails. Not surprising considering most of the roads were now floating down the Colorado. We told them about the great route we had just ridden and gave them some details. We bid them farewell. Later, Drey Dog and I both commented on how their bikes were very clean and shiny and not scratched. We immediately realized they may not have liked our suggested route. Not everyone likes the type of terrain we do. As a matter of fact, we’ve witnessed the unfortunate and embarrassing circumstance of a rider in full melt-down stammering “THIS ISN’T MOTORCYCLING!!!!!” Now, the route we turned those guys onto wasn’t anything too rowdy at all but it involved some sand and a few moves here and there. Hopefully they loved it.
    20210920e - 1.jpeg

We fueled up and chatted with these ADV riders. They were PUMPED UP!!! They were on a big loop from Kansas to the west coast and were working back. They said how lucky we were to live in such awesome terrain. I said “well, I was in some grasslands of Kansas once that were pretty cool”. The woman immediately exclaimed “no it’s not”. Hahahahaha! That made me laugh. I was trying to be nice. Sorry you live in such a lame place.
    20210920e - 2.jpeg

This is a hotel that we’ve used in the past for emergencies. The owner has an uncanny similarity to Gary Busey. This place got hit by a flood about 20 years ago and they squeegeed the mud out and opened again for business. Not sure if Busey is going to pull it off again.
    20210920e - 4.jpeg

I have no idea why this vehicle would be missing it’s wheels but I kinda think it may not be related to the flood.
    20210920e - 5.jpeg

There was a truck towing a rotary sweeper attempting to clean the roads. The flood was roughly 2 ½ weeks prior. We figured this guy had been towing the sweeper around town every day ever since.
    20210920e - 3.jpeg

We were packing up supplies at the store when, SON OF A BITCH, freaking Busey himself strolls out!!! He hopped in his LeMans too quickly for us to think about chatting with him about the flood.
    20210920e - 6.jpeg
  7. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah he does sorta favor Busey

[​IMG]
    Ginger Beard and ApexJeff like this.
  8. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    Hey my ears are burning! Nice ride report! It was nice to meet another ADV'er out in the desert. The washouts in that area after the storms definitely kept you on your toes.

This was our second year in Utah. We have been exploring Nevada for the last several years and have covered most of it. Some of the rides are in this thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/end-of-september-camp-ride.817279/

Thanks for the intel on your route. It was good stuff! Nice little sand hill climb out of the wash with some air at the crest. Awesome sand washes for corner carving. I was glad I finally retired the DR650 and had a proper dirt bike for the September ride this year.

My bike was shiny because it's a 2021 and that was only our second day riding when we saw you guys. :ksteve This is the kind of crap I put the DR650 through. About 10 years ago in Moab on Hells Gate.

Maybe we will cross paths next year in September again!

9. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Ah, that explains it!! We're not quick enough to figure a bike might be clean because it's brand new. You get my point about how shiny clean unscratched bikes can give you a clue to what kind of rider you bump into. Obviously not in this case. Way to give it to the old DR. Those legendary bikes hold a special place in my heart. But like my buddy Zaniac said last week, "are you a motorcycle rider or are you running a museum?" Drop me a line next time you're in the area.
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Here’s the diversion dam that got destroyed in the flood in the early 2000s.
    Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 6.23.51 PM.png

Here’s the new diversion dam a couple of weeks ago. Well, at least it didn’t get destroyed. We stopped here to assess dampness near the river. We were trying to figure out if we should try another route that crosses a different river. We got our answer. No dice. We’d be asking for trouble.
    20210920f2 - 1.jpeg

Instead, we backtracked a few miles and took another road that led down to the river. We didn’t have any intention of trying to cross it. Just wanted to have a look at the grease. We got to this spot that was obviously wet from the rains but was drying. However, it wasn’t dry enough! Drey Dog eased into it just to test it and it instantly verified! We both had to grab the bike to pull it back.
    20210920f - 2.jpeg

Not pretty but nothing like what it would have been had he gone another 10 feet. Within the half a minute it took us to monkey around and pull the bike back, the entire area started to "jelly up" and jiggle.
    20210920f - 4.jpeg

We got another view of the river. Clearly WAY too much moisture in the soil still. You just don’t screw around with this stuff unless you like pulling your bike out of fender deep quicksand with a come-along and you like replacing fork seals, shock seals, wheel bearings, etc, etc, etc.
    20210920f - 5.jpeg
  11. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! I was in the area last week and we got hammered (rain, hail, lightening...) while on the bikes just to the West. We popped out onto the hwy... I wanted to continue along our planned route, which would have taken us through 'Ground Zero'... but I was out voted by the other riders and we went back West. I had heard some of the routes were 'impassable' in the area, but you never really know what that means until you see it first hand. Having seen your report... I'm glad I was over-ruled!
    Joe Motocross and MasterMarine like this.
  12. Big Sky 777

Big Sky 777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Joe,

Sweet RR, have you saved anything special for us, the cubicle dwellers are back at it tomorrow. Let’s see the stuff in the vault?

jim
  13. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    Todd sent me a video of our chance meeting.

Foiler, DCrider, flying.moto and 17 others like this.
  14. Tsin

Tsin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We finally have an evidence that Joe does not make up all of this shit :jack
  15. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Video proof! That is simply fantastic.
  16. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Holy shit man, never know when a camera is on you these days! Gotta start questioning people we run into. Might want to keep our traps shut!!
    Ginger Beard, Foiler, 'Bob' and 12 others like this.
  17. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Sorry bud, just more of the same high speed two-tracks, rip-able washes, silky singletracks, a little air, meat on the Adjustaforks, and a few sips of whiskey around the fire. Nothing new. Like I've claimed before, this BS is as predictable as another TAT report.
    20210920g - 1.jpeg

The thing is, The Presiding High Council really loves riding motorcycles. This is what we do. It feeds us. We get off on it. We've done it for a long time. We plan to continue doing it until we can't.

I had my recurring wheelie dream two nights ago. It happens quite a bit. I'm not bullshitting you. It's where I stand the bike up into a wheelie and experience a completely balanced bliss, effortlessly arcing around things. This time I stood it up going really slow, like feathering the clutch in first gear, just barely moving the bike but completely balanced, carving slowly around a campfire and some other bikes or something. I remember when the euphoria of the effortless wheelie started, I was telling myself "see, it's not a dream this time". I woke up and I was like, fuck, it was just a dream again!!! I'm not sure what this means but I can see how other guys who've made up religions in the past could have experienced something similar. I think I got something here.
  18. Hobbomock

Hobbomock I's wide open

Oddometer:
    It's a god complex.

Not entirely undeserved. :lol3
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  19. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Somehow I doubt this happening???:lol3:lol3
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  20. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Haha, I have the recurring wheelie dream too! Always pissed when I wake up and realize that I still suck at them.