If you want dirt, YOU GOT IT!!!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Big Sky 777

Big Sky 777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Joe, Appreciate the style of of riding you enjoy and share. I look forward to trying it out. I rode today and the terrain seems very similar to what you have shown us. Northern Wyoming.

Attached Files:

2. Osadabwa

Osadabwa Don't be Surprised

Oddometer:
    You have "wheelie dreams" and I have the "losing-the-front-on-loose-stones" dreams... wake up three feet in the air with a "whahaaanoooforfucksake" that makes the wife slap me every time.
  3. BrainCandy

BrainCandy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I made a new version with some brief inserts of the areas discussed.
  4. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    This^^^. If I've woke up once to losing the front end in gravel I've done it 100 times. Especially pop up after a hard day of riding.
    Critic likes this.
  5. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    For some reason the first thing that comes to my mind is that you guys may need some self reflection or something. Seems like there could be a message or a lesson to be learned from wrecking in your dreams.

ROOST SCRIPTURE:
    Every rider ought to examine themselves before they eat off the Adjustafork and drink from the Thor cup. For those who eat and drink without discerning the roost gospel, eat and drink judgment on themselves.
    Ginger Beard, Foiler, mnTwin and 4 others like this.
  6. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Furthermore, an 18" front wheel may help your fear of washing out. Let yourself go. Fully embrace ADV-Fundamentalism. You too can have the eternal wheelie instead of a helping of road rash.
    Foiler, liv2day, ilten and 4 others like this.
  7. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    We utilized a bridge and got onto another stellar route.
    20210920h - 1.jpeg

The road dropped into a wash and, what do you know, it disappeared. You’d never know this is a marked BLM road. We dropped em into 3rd and cracked the throttles!
    20210920h - 2.jpeg

$$$ MONEY!!!
    20210920h - 3.jpeg

Full reset on every wash we got into. So fun to put the first tracks into a baby butt smooth wash.
    20210920h - 4.jpeg

We intersected a well used graded road. It was getting late in the day now and we needed to find a camp soon. We looked at our map and found a spot we’d been to a few years back. It was about a ½ hour away on the graded road.
    20210920h - 5.jpeg

We hit camp with a little daylight still left. The camp was right on the rim of a large canyon with spectacular views and plenty of dead wood for a fire. Yep we were home for the night.
    20210920h - 6.jpeg

We took in the views and recounted all the awesome terrain we’d covered. There had been lots of good action and no one stuck a bike in quicksand. Our focus shifted to our camp. We were enjoying these proud buttes to the south of our rim camp.
    20210920h - 7.jpeg
  8. Big Sky 777

Big Sky 777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As the snow is now dumping in Montana I am envious of my high desert riding brethren....roost a little for us if you can!!
  9. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    It's officially the month of "Roostober". Perhaps the single best month for desert riders. We have a low pressure trough working through the state right now. Soon as this weather clears it's time to hit the trail again. I'm feeling the Superenduro needs to be ridden.
    Foiler, flying.moto, liv2day and 10 others like this.
  10. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    More envy. We’re at minus 5c this morning and headed to a high of plus 11c - about 52F. Not many leaves left on trees as the white shit nears. The party is nearly over for a while. ☹️
  11. mork

mork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been seriously considering building a front wheel. How’s the braking on things like a steep downhill loose baby head track? My rear MT43 was all over the place and had zero feel especially in some of the rocky areas outside of Dirt Disneyland.
    MotoChris521 likes this.
  12. Osadabwa

Osadabwa Don't be Surprised

Oddometer:
    @Joe Motocross - In the eternal words of Elder Bugs Bunny.... "Aaaaaah, shaaaddap!" I have examined myself many a time and nearly always found myself lacking one way or another! But just to be clear, I never wreck in my dreams, I just loose the front... and then the bike leans to an ungodly angle and <<POOOOF>> I awaken in a rush of adrenaline and just a drop or two of pee. Having practiced this maneuver in my dreams so much, in real life I hardly ever go down... I hold on and keep holding... and keep holding until the bike pops up again and I grab a handful of throttle and roar away victorious, screaming epithets into my helmet!

Oh for the love of Roost... I need to ride. Good thing I'm leaving for 4 days on Saturday so I can quit living vicariously through some nguys 10,000 miles away in friggin' Utah!

Keep going, dammit!
  13. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    I find it way superior to the 21". Check this thread where I got to compare an 18 and a 21 on the same baby head rocky descent: https://advrider.com/f/threads/dese...discovery-route.1342134/page-15#post-36379637
    Now keep in mind that the BMW800 is definitely not in the same class as the Superenduro but it was still a good comparison.
    Foiler and GringoRider like this.
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Ahaaa!! So it's like a subconscious training for you. This is next level shit, for sure.
  15. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    There was a fire ring here already. We never build fire rings. Fundamentalists pride themselves on their stealthiness. We don’t leave anything behind at any campsites. You’d never know we’d been there. Ashes blow away or get washed away with the rain.
    20210920i - 1.jpeg

What we are known for doing, however, is converting an existing fire ring into what is known as a “linear fire system”. You basically just open up both ends of the ring. Start your fire on one end or the other and after you have some coals, shift your fire toward the other end so you can utilize the coals for cooking. Ultimately, I think we should just dismantle every fire ring we come across. We just convert them to the linear fire system because we think it’s funny.
    20210920i - 2.jpeg

We got the fire stoked up on one end of the linear fire system.
    20210920i - 3.jpeg

This is one of the best treats out here. Adjustafork cheese sticks. Tortilla, hotsauce, string cheese.
    20210920i - 4.jpeg

Wrap them up, stick them on the fork and heat slowly. Oh yeah!!!
    20210920i - 5.jpeg

Next came the bratwurst. The Adjustafork 2.0 is just big enough to handle a whole package.
    20210920i - 6.jpeg

I wrapped my brats with tortillas. Drey Dog went with tamales.
    20210920i - 8.jpeg

I had cooked up a cup of Deluxe Baked Beans. “Deluxe” includes anything that looks good at the store that you can throw in. I think I just had onion and jalapeno that night. Solid feast right there!!!
    20210920i - 9.jpeg

Now is the time in the ride report when I make fun of all you ferries who carry chairs on your dirt bikes. The reason is because I can’t think of anything much more unnecessary than a chair if you are trying to go light and ride hard. You have a perfectly good front wheel to lean against. If you want to get up off the ground, find a few rocks or a log. Works great. If you're not trying to go light and roost hard and you’re just sissying around on pavement and gravel, by all means bring a chair. It’s really about goals. Our goal is to ride challenging terrain. Others have a goal to sit in a chair at camp. It's all good, just be honest about your goals. Those goofy little collapsible chairs aren’t even comfortable IMHO.
    20210920i - 10.jpeg
  16. Big Sky 777

Big Sky 777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. codebot

codebot Neophyte RTA (Round The Americas).

Oddometer:
    A single prong fork would totally suck. The heavy side of your food will always point down. Source: Personal kabob experience. :-)
  18. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    Oh sure, Minimalist! No chair, but special campfire loafers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Big Sky 777

Big Sky 777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tusk makes a carbon fiber model….doubles as a trail stand and fishing pole
  20. Big Sky 777

Big Sky 777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sidi Campfirosa
    Red J, liv2day and Joe Motocross like this.