If you want dirt, YOU GOT IT!!!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 23, 2021.

1. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joe ya had me worried with the tortilla wrapped cheese sticks thought you might be going V.E.G.A.N.

[​IMG]

Then I saw brats on a stick and my mind was at rest.
    svo_jon likes this.
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Well, not to be an ass here but vegans don't eat cheese. While I have a little fun poking at them from time to time, you kinda gotta know what their deal is before making fun of them otherwise the joke is kinda on you. :lol3
    Franque, Ginger Beard, Foiler and 9 others like this.
  3. Big Sky 777

Big Sky 777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could have been soy cheese
  4. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I’ve struggled for a while and am down to very little meat but still have my weaknesses I can’t let go of. I’m appalled what we do to animals with such heartless ignorance but of course am of a generation raised on steak, burgers, hot dogs, Italian sausage, bacon, pepperoni pizza and ham and cheese omelettes. It’s an ongoing dilemma personally. ☹️

I haven’t tried the wave of new meatless products but intend to. Tomorrow. Maybe.
  5. Black Sh33p

Black Sh33p Give it the beans!

Oddometer:
    Long time investigator here. Your ride reports are incredible! I have even followed in your hallowed tracks from time to time. My buddy and I were down by ground zero the weekend before the big flood actually riding to a track you posted about in one of your last broadcasts. We thought all the tore up roads were great riding from the previous flash flooding but it is obvious it was nothing compared to after the big flood! Can't wait to here more of your ride, Keep the revelation coming!
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  6. mork

mork Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic comparison. I’m surprised I hadn’t seen this. I happen to own an F800GS and was considering an 18 on that as well as on my 300XC. I feel I’m just putting lipstick on the pig as I ride it far harder than it was intended. I been seriously considering selling both and building up a newish 500 exc.
    Foiler likes this.
  7. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn , great fun riding along here. Sure is great being apart of something like this. So many like minded crazies. I be 65 going on 36. Take Care Everyone Petepilot
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  8. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Extremely good comedy. Thanks for that.
  9. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Priceless.
    Ginger Beard and RedDogAlberta like this.
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Daybreak. We were so pumped to be out here, on the trail, camping in the dirt.
    20210921a - 1.jpeg

It would end up being the coldest and windiest night of the journey. However, only down to around 40˚F and what I’d call light to moderate wind. I had deployed every piece of clothing I had with me plus the emergency bivy. You know you’ve packed correctly if you use everything you bring. I was comfortable all night and slept great. The full moon was just about to set.
    20210921a - 2.jpeg

Standard scene. Small fire to make some coals for croffee and a hot breakfast.
    20210921a - 3.jpeg

The morning was going great. Sipping croffee, enjoying the vistas, bullshitting about where we were going to roost. No hurry. We’d be on the trail by about 9 or 9:30am.
    20210921a - 4.jpeg

The choice of camp locations was damn good except for one oversight. We failed to take in the shade we’d be in during the AM. Like I said, we pride ourselves on choosing prime camp locations. Generally, I find that sun in the morning is beneficial especially following a cooler night. We took a bearing on the sun. It was rising almost directly to our east at this point in time. We'd pay more attention to this when choosing the next camp.
    20210921a - 5.jpeg

Well, what the hell, second cup of croffee!!! I’m gonna have to start submitting a marketing fee to those fools over at Thor.
    20210921a - 6.jpeg

We packed the few belongings we had and hit the trail. It would prove to be a solid day of riding.
    20210921a - 7.jpeg
  11. RedDogAlberta

Oddometer:
    It’s a struggle. I mean well but I’m also a man who loves sausage over fire. My weaknesses own me. I wish we could leave animals alone but I myself am a problem. Fuck.
  12. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Joe,
    Were you sporting your elephant foot half down bag / down jacket sleeping combo for this trip? I didn’t notice.
    jonz likes this.
  13. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    As are we all brother, as are we all.

(Just ask my ex-wives)
    liv2day and RedDogAlberta like this.
  14. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Conditions were spot on. Stoke level was increasing.
    0745C068-D409-4CF7-BEDF-0E9EA5C6B925.jpeg

We were going about our roosting, just minding our own business when Drey had a little issue happen. He musta been a little heavy-handed on the throttle.
    F4E791F7-6DAA-498C-8BAA-3C22DCDAD30B.jpeg

No sweat. We had stuff for the repair. Took a few minutes. Back on track!!!
    86F4224F-AE8B-4C42-A6E6-430A3CC41157.jpeg

But only for a second. We noticed his kickstand was about to loose the spring. We stopped and attempted a fix but didn’t have the correct parts for a proper repair. He used the little rubber kickstand strap to hold it up for the time being.
    A980043F-0151-4518-AA8B-10AF1CF239F5.jpeg

We came upon a large group of side by sides. They were on a guided “Jamboree”. For context, we kind of find the term “Jamboree” amusing when used in describing a side by side/quad rally. We use the term in a smart ass way when we see large groups of quads. “Looks like a Jamboree!” So when the guide told us this was an actual jamboree, I immediately looked at Drey Dog to see his reaction. Stone cold. Solid poker face. It was all I could do to not bust up. We made some small talk and maintained composure then went on our way.
    639868D1-E23B-4752-A94A-FE6D8DCFD31B.jpeg

We were doing what we do. Riding dirt bikes. Moving quick through semi-techy terrain. This is what we seek out. This is what we enjoy.
    000CF500-0F3D-47CC-946D-23585DB38F5B.jpeg

LOTS of action through here.
    6E7BE300-8D22-4417-B3C7-83136BFBCE13.jpeg

Just rocky enough to make you think. You could get a KLR up through here although it might not be pretty and you’d probably have a bashed in skid plate.
    8ACA773F-354B-4F6C-83E3-5DC252602755.jpeg
  15. RedDogAlberta

Oddometer:
    Outstanding, as always.
  16. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks like a sweet trail! I've got to put my light weight bike back together...

Jonathan
  17. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I replaced my chain this summer and found the tool I've used for over 50 years didn't work to press on the plate of the newer kind of master link. They require some force to get on the pins.

I've never had a chain break or a master link fail so I was wondering if it's even worth the trouble to carry a chain tool on the trail. I guess this answers that question.
  18. Big Sky 777

Big Sky 777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Joe,

thanks for sharing what you love to do with us. It’s truly uplifting and inspiring. The snow has melted for now in Montana and we will be channeling you as we Roost this weekend.
  19. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never had one either, and it's got me thinking. Part of what I'm thinking is that there may be more to the story than a picture can tell!
  20. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    No. Just barely too cold during the second night camp.

Yep, Master link failure. We assume the spring clip was worn ultrathin to the point where it popped off. Chain tool was handy for pressing on the new master link.