If you want dirt, YOU GOT IT!!!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joe Motocross, Sep 23, 2021.

1. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    That makes sense! I do tend to fuss over my bike enough that I THINK that might not happen to me. Famous last words...
    pigjockey likes this.
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Intermission.

Sorry for the delay with the story. I know lots of you keyboard commandos and desk jockeys rely on this stuff to get through the brutal reality. The struggle is real and I get it. Hopefully you didn’t do anything brash while we were out roosting.

The weather cleared here and I needed a fix to keep my own head straight. I needed to get some ADV-F religion. To go worship the ROOST GOD. A character we’ll refer to as The Unnamed Rider called up and felt his life would be better off with a little fresh religion also. He rode to my house and we proceeded into the desert on the Superenduros.
    C7994A27-1506-404E-8AC2-43C927916088.jpeg

There has been some snow in the high country and it appears we may be done riding up there for the season. Temps in the desert are about perfect though and we’ll have another month or so before shutting off the bikes for the winter.
    01E3585B-2620-499D-BB89-66B7D5C5F790.jpeg

The big bikes allow a little easier long distance travel so we pointed toward the Big Reservoir (albeit shrinking reservoir) to search for some things that may be exposed due to low water. We learned some things. One, not important to the ADV rider but interesting in a trippy way anyhow is that the concrete boat launch pictured below is still nowhere near any water. Second, very pertinent to ADV riders is that as of Monday, October 11, 2021, the gas pump at the Hite Outpost is now functional again.
    49BF6FA2-740B-4441-A0DB-0CE7764D76AF.jpeg

The water is still quite refreshing.
    0B43C386-8AF5-4219-9E39-6BEB96157CCE.jpeg

This little three day journey had all the ADV-F basics. First and foremost, good solid dirt riding.
    63DDE4B9-6B90-4C7C-A71E-F82E090393F5.jpeg

River crossings.
    0045934A-D324-443F-AF01-D126C847D79D.jpeg

Slickrock camps.
    1768F43E-178D-48D5-A46A-576FC52C3367.jpeg

Delicious beverages. Croffee in the mornings, of course. And I brought out a little gem I’d forgotten about dubbed the “whiskey savory”. It’s a concoction that was invented by mistake but appears like it may be slated for menus at high end bars soon. Look for it in Aspen and Telluride. What happened was I was out with The Jack Muslim and we were sitting around the bonfire getting dinner ready when I grabbed the wrong bottle and proceeded to fill my vegetable soup up with whiskey instead of water. HOLY SHIT!! DUMBASS!! What to do? Well, couldn’t just dump the whiskey on the ground so I started drinking it and, low and behold, a brilliant cocktail was born. Here’s the recipe.
    • Chop a few potatoes, onions, and jalapenos and add to a cup.

• Add whiskey to the cup until the vegetables are covered.

• Let steep for about as long as it takes you to say “goddammit I just dumped whiskey into my soup!” + 60 seconds (which is about the amount of time it took me to figure out what to do).

• Strain the whiskey into another cup and enjoy.
    This was the first time I’ve tried this intentionally and sober. I swear, the drink is good. The Unnamed Rider gave it two thumbs up also.
    CE237F8D-88A0-46A0-ADE2-18E653CE17DE.jpeg

Of course, Adjustaforks were used over the fire. The Unnamed Rider was sporting the 4.0 workhorse (pictured left) and cheffed up these braised ham wraps with cheese.

I ran the new 2.0 lightweight (pictured right). We sat around the fire and chatted about some people we’d known in high school that we’d seen recently and what losers we thought they were. What were they doing with their lives? It’s assumed that they look at us screwing around in the desert and mountains and think the exact same thing. Who has the correct perception? Arguable but I’m enjoying my time here.
    E4AC246C-5783-4412-B887-F66583F68F80.jpeg
  3. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    So we rode hard for 3 days.
    B61D983B-004F-48E7-8E83-42B6FE9CF4D2.jpeg

It was just the quick reset that was needed.
    D02B7A8A-961D-4C86-A650-3609BD2AB352.jpeg

ROOST SCRIPTURE:
    Come, let us stand a wheelie in worship, let us air before the ROOST LORD our Maker, and be saved
    5926BBB8-BFD3-43CB-9931-1D1281A9A56F.jpeg

Now, back to the big ride.
  4. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Joe that picture of the “high and dry” boat ramp was scary. Thinking of the pictures of so many different reservoirs at record low level makes me think there is a catastrophe coming for some?
    But, for your gang, looks like you’ll end up with the whole western USA as a
    desert-like riding Mecca and probably a lot less folks around to piss you off.
    Foiler, liv2day and GringoRider like this.
  5. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Man, it is an intense scene. The Unnamed Rider and I were talking about it and saying it's quite possible that the entire Glen Canyon dam project is a failure. Perhaps the Hoover dam as well? Will desert riders roost through ruins of Phoenix and Las Vegas in the future?
    Ginger Beard, Foiler, Red J and 8 others like this.
  6. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kindred spirits of followers of ADV-F who worship the ROOST GOD are the river runners who worship the RIVER GOD. For a look at Glen Canyon before the dam, Ken Sleight (AKA Seldom Seen) provides a picture in this video. Seldom Seen: A Poignant Look Back at Glen Canyon Before the Dam - Yale E360

I went for a hike this summer to the site of the Glines Canyon dam that was removed in 2014. It's amazing how quickly Mother Nature heals herself from human inflected wounds. The hydroelectric power system in the US Southwest is reminiscent of the Dust Bowl of the southern plains. People think that climate and weather will always stay the same but it never does. History shows again and again the nature points out the folly of man.

[​IMG]
    Foiler, liv2day and NoelJ like this.
  7. Black Sh33p

Black Sh33p Give it the beans!

Oddometer:
    Those upper switchbacks are amazing! Was the lower one still gutted by the flash flooding or have all the jeeps smoothed it out a little?
  8. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    If nothing else, the crisis should teach people something about how to NOT waste water. I feel bad for the farmers that rely on irrigation, but not so much for those watering their vanity lawns and refusing to use low-consumption toilets. And lots of other things...

Cool pics, as usual, Reverend Joe. The rock behind you in the last pic you're in - are those circular grooves man-made? Wind-made? Or just erosion? It's hard not to be an amateur geologist when looking at them!
    Ginger Beard and Joe Motocross like this.
  9. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Dude, thanks a bunch for that. Excellent. It is very interesting watching this whole thing unfold as the drought continues. Here's another article that talks about the two dams and everything that is intertwined. You can listen to the article also: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/08/16/the-lost-canyon-under-lake-powell
  10. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Fairly ratty but no epic riding feat to ascend. Seems about average although I only go through there every few years or so.
    GringoRider likes this.
  11. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Just natural. It's that kind of stuff that we really enjoy looking at and wondering "what the heck?"
  12. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    “I don’t know how many people go to Lake Powell, but it’s probably an order of magnitude greater than the number of people who could run the river,” Benson said. “A lot of people love that lake. So we’d have to find the right way to make everybody equally unhappy.”

Same old story. Houseboats on Lake Powell compared to river runners are like the SXS in the desert compared to ADV-F out on dirt bikes.

When I hiked up to the site of Glines Canyon Dam I met a couple of ladies that missed boating on Lake Mills (the reservoir behind the dam). The return of the Elwah River is an interesting study. Chinook salmon don't seem to be migrating in large numbers to the upper headwaters. One reason is that all of the chinook are descended from the state hatchery program since the 1930s. Too lazy to ascend to the headwaters. Summer steelhead on the other hand are thriving and thought to be the descendants of the rainbow locked behind the dam. Bull trout have doubled and rainbow have recovered by an order of magnitude. The river is healing itself. Maybe someday, the Colorado too.
  13. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is the best goddamn thing I've read all week :lol2 :lol2. And given it's only Wednesday and this week feels like it should have ended yesterday, I needed it.

Too f*ckin' funny @Joe Motocross; well done both owning your initial f-up and figuring out how to undo said f-up...LOL. I might have to try that, one of my buddy's gave me a bottle of the crow for my 50th (he's a big spender...LOL), sounds like the perfect thing.

Totally enjoying the RR man, this keyboard jockey needs this shit :D
    Ginger Beard, Foiler, Mofrid and 2 others like this.
  14. Big Sky 777

Big Sky 777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ginger Beard and pigjockey like this.
  15. TexasStevo

TexasStevo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do ok when you are on the 500, I got one of those, just semi jealous how often you get to roost about in heavenly desert. But when you break out the SE, damit, big time jealous......and I really start jonesing for one. I dream about my Africa Twin with the tank/fairing removed, slap a big desert tank on, cyclops light, upgrade suspension, 18" front etc.....I guess I should have just bought a 15 year old SE!! Keep shredding it out there brother!!
    Joe Motocross likes this.
  16. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    So let’s see, I believe we were at a point where Drey Dog and I were just riding in a general direction with our ultimate goal of getting fuel and supplies at one of the small towns. We didn’t really have any particular route in mind. Just kind of grabbing two-tracks and trails as they presented themselves.
    20210921b - 1.jpeg

It was hot but not outrageous. We definitely needed shade for a lunch break.
    20210921b - 2.jpeg

We ate leftover food from the feast the night before. We studied our map and threw out a few ideas of routes to take. This wash was another one that was completely buffed out smooth from the flooding.
    20210921b - 3.jpeg

We stopped off at a pretty cool butte for a photo op. Damn cool. Even after years and years of seeing this stuff it still amazes me to see these odd things sticking up in the middle of nowhere.
    20210921b - 5.jpeg

We were gathering more evidence for C.A.N.E.
    20210921b - 6.jpeg

Mother Nature cannot get away with the senseless destruction of BLM and county roads. Someone must bring her to justice.
    20210921b - 7.jpeg

We traversed a sandstone bench.
    20210921b - 8.jpeg

The amount of green was continuing to blow our minds. The vistas were throwing us into that pleasantly overwhelming mind altering state that we seek.
    20210921b - 9.jpeg

More perfect two tracks continued to appear and we effortlessly glided along toward the most obvious town for supplies.
    20210921b - 10.jpeg
  17. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Do it. Small potato, about 1/2 a small onion, half a jalapeno. I'm going to pour it over ice here at home base. Use the vegetables for dinner or breakfast the next morning.
    flying.moto, liv2day and GringoRider like this.
  18. Joe Motocross

Oddometer:
    Still could. Hands down the most stupid dirt bike ever built. No company has yet to build something in the same class.
    Critic, Foiler, Ma Duce and 2 others like this.
  19. TexasStevo

TexasStevo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I lived in your neck of the woods, there would be one in my garage...hell my living room. Where I live, too much private land and so you spend a lot of time on slab and gravel roads to get the longer adventure fix, Africa Twin does that stuff well and why I went that route. Private offroad parks or out of state good riding, 500 steps in. I should move, stupid family :-).
  20. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    1011212043.jpg
    Kansas, 3500 miles so far. In Houston now.
    Blaise W and Joe Motocross like this.