If You're Going to San Francisco...er, Dawson City

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Alcan Rider, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Be sure to carry some rain gear!

For the past couple of weeks we've been getting rain just about every afternoon, sometimes pretty heavy. Last Wednesday I drove up to Tok and had the wipers on for about 25% of the distance from Mile 75 to Mile 118. Coming back in late afternoon there were showers off and on all the way through the mountains, both sides of Mentasta Pass. There would be dry highway, then a cloudburst, then dry highway before the next cloudburst. A couple of times I was looking around for a very large, homemade houseboat with a variety of animals peering over the gun'ls.

As well, there is some major construction just beginning north of Chistochina. It starts at the end of the straight stretch you hit after crossing the Chistochina River (Mile 38) and ends at Mile 50. Although I haven't been over it since they started working, a driver told me this morning that he almost needed to put his pickup into 4 wheel drive to get through it, it's that soft. If that's not enough, the wait for a pilot car can be over half an hour.

So be prepared for rain (hopefully no snow!), cool weather (it got clear up to 54° this afternoon :knary), and road construction :dirtdog.

Y'all be careful and ride safe. Sadly, I won't be making it this year as there are just too many projects on the fire and the weather has not been cooperating. Maybe next year...:nod
    JagLite, Kruzof, Solarmoose and 5 others like this.
  2. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    .... be shuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrr.... to wear some flowers in yer hair..........
  3. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    A friend who just came down thru the Chistochina construction zone in his big truck just substantiated Jack's warning.

My buddy, who's a longtime Alaskan and lives part-time in the bush, said it just may be the worst he's ever seen in a construction zone!

That, and motorhomes as far as the eye could see, lined up and waiting to get through!

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  4. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Where's your geetar, Tom? :strum
    Beezer likes this.
  5. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie

Oddometer:
    Just went through Christiochina and yes there is construction at those mile posts. The hairy stuff was towards the end with being a couple of small deep patches of mixed dirt and gravel; like oatmeal. So they may have smoothed our most of the tuff seen prior. Wasn’t really bad but it was relatively dry since the rain looked like it passed by hours prior. If I can make, a blind fish on a bike can make it. It did rain the whole way from Anch to Tok for me. :vardy
    JagLite and Beezer like this.
  6. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    After earlier dire warnings, I wake up this morning to beautiful blue sky in every direction, sun shining brightly... Anyone still en route today will have a great trip. Hope you all get to enjoy this kind of weather all the way to Dawson City and throughout D2D, as well as the return trip.

Have fun - wish I were going along. :(:
    simestd, AK650 and JagLite like this.
  7. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    we are. enjoying the great weather to and in Dawson.
    SunshineTom likes this.
  8. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry you couldn't make it Jack. We did 1200+ miles and NO RAIN for 6 days!! Palmer, Tok, 40 Mile, Dawson, Tok, Delta Junction, Paxson, Across Denali Highway, Cantwell, Palmer. Unbelievable weather. We saw some afternoon rains in the distance but never got caught in any.