Ignitech TCIP4

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by martinbuchmayr, Oct 11, 2019 at 12:25 AM.

1. martinbuchmayr

martinbuchmayr Carb 950s

Oddometer:
    I dont know if you have once seen the products of Ignitech? You can fully program your ignition
    http://ignitech.cz/en/

Someone ever thought of using their ingnition in a 950 Adventure or SE?

I have those running in several mid 2000 bikes, like the Kawasaki ZRX1200R/Zephyr1100, Yamaha BT1100 - every bike runs really smooth with the TCIP4
  2. Le mani del Caos

Le mani del Caos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am working on it.
    There is a problem with connectors that are not waterproof.
    With this test bench using the same 24-2 teeth trigger wheel of the 950 works perfect.
    I also find the teeth sequence on the original ignition but I don't know the mechanic advance of the trigger whell.
    A job for the future.
    - TCPI4_feroce.JPG
    Helibee, martinbuchmayr and Salzig like this.
  3. martinbuchmayr

martinbuchmayr Carb 950s

Oddometer:
    Awesome!
    Thanks for having a look into that, this will be a great modification!

Keep us updated!
  4. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool! I have an Ignitech on my CX500. It is pretty slick and has some interesting built-in features, but the connector is a bit disappointing. The pins are the same as 1990's Harley turn signals though, which is handy. No reliability issues with mine so far, and there are a lot of trigger options for different engines. Documentation online is a bit spotty for some of the more obscure features.

The 950's ignition seems to be pretty well tuned from stock; I've not seen a lot of people out there going to different advance settings. Aside from being an interesting project, any particular goal you're looking to hit?

Gratuitous CX500 pic:
    [​IMG]
  5. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I cannot agree on that. I would say that especially on 950s, ignition timing is adjusted more for meeting requirements than achieving optimal performance. Custom ignition curve is something that I think of for a long time, but on a TPS equiped bike, building a decent 3-d map would be a real PITA with a lot of dyno work.

The reason why I say that is because, I have seen dyno curves from adv and sm models which vary a lot despite the fact that engines are identical. The sm model has more torque eveywhere, and doesn't run out of power even close to the rev limiter, when adv models feel softer on low end and lack top end performance. I was initially thinking that this difference was due to different exhaust pipes, but after running a few engine simulation models of the 950 engine, it looks that it's not the case. Besides, SM and Adv models have different ignition modules. Interestingly enough, sm models seem to work better with richer fueling, probably because due to better ignition timing, they can burn fuel more effectively. Last but not least, stock SM/Adv 950 engine seem to be good enough for 110 hp @ rear wheel

I believe that there is a big potential in a custom ignition map, but no one has tried that so far.
    Crazygreek and mountaincadre like this.
  6. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    So fitting an SM cdi to a adv?
  7. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it might not work well, SM models have different headers so a different ignition timing should be required.
    mountaincadre likes this.
  8. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 990smt motor in it opanos with the full mass moto exhaust which has large headers.
  9. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    not only you have different headers, but your engine has different displacement and camshafts too :D

but I think that your bike would definitely benefit from a custom tailored ignition map
    mountaincadre likes this.